Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By kunundrom
I noticed several members of the group from Pennsylvania and the US in general. If anyone out there lives near Emmitsburg, MD, there is a very wonderful place there that is definately worth the trip. It is called the National Lourdes Monument or something of that nature. It is absolutely beautiful place. They have a mock-up of Lourdes, France and many, many, many statues and shrines honoring Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I gave much praise there, but got stung by a wasp. The monument is located right off Route 15 and is right next to the Catholic College there (I forget the name). Anyway, it's a beautiful place and if you go during the week, you can have it almost completely to yourself.
By QOP Productions
Hi Kunundrom,

Great post --- Very useful info for the group.

I have indeed heard of the shrine that you are referring to, although I do not know the name either. Other people have told me this is a wonderful place for prayer and medititation. Sounds like you had a nice experience there, despite the wasp attack! Wow, the enemy will stop at nothing to disrupt our prayers!

I have also heard that the shrine of Our Lady on Long Island is a beautiful and peaceful place. It's another spot worthy of a quick little pilgrimage.

God bless! :D
By QOP Productions
Kunundrom:

Thanks for the weblink! I hope to see you at the shrine one day (I haven't been yet, but plan to someday) :D

I thought I'd post some of the info about the shrine that I got from their website:

"The Shrine of Our Lady of the Island, conducted by the Montfort Missionaries is located on the eastern end of Long Island about sixty miles from New York city. Conceived in 1953 as a place of pilgrimage, actual construction began in 1972 on 65 acres of land donated by a generous benefactor.

An 18 foot statue of Mother and child, carved from a forty ton piece of granite at the Rock of Ages Studio in Vermont was added in 1975 and stands atop a glacial boulder of rose quartz that has remained in position for the past 15,000 years. It overlooks Moriches Bay and the Atlantic ocean some five miles away.

Pilgrims from near and far come to the Shrine to pray and seek favors from the Mother of God and her Son throughout the season which begins on Good Friday and ends in October.

Over the years many improvements have been added such as a Rosary Walk of the 15 mysteries of the rosary represented by 150 juniper bushes for the Hail Marys and holly shrubs for the Our Fathers. Outdoor Stations of the Cross are another added feature.

Two Montfort Fathers and one Montfort Brother are assigned to the Shrine and serve the needs of all of course, many other treasures are to be found about the grounds.

Mass is said daily in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel and on Sundays, weather permitting, services are held in the Shrine area. It is truly a monument of Marian devotion.

The Shrine is open daily from sunrise to sunset."
By kunundrom
Well, I put together my own, somewhat simple, website for the National Lourdes Shrine near Emmitsburg, MD. It is next to Mount St. Mary's Catholic College. Take a look if you are interested. Keep in mind that there is much more at the shrine than is listed on my website. I just couldn't get good pictures of everything due to lighting conditions.

http://209.158.24.7/~maesoph/national.htm
By QOP Productions
Thanks Kunundrom!

I had a look at the website you made... thank you for sharing this "good low-budget pilgrimage" with the group.

I was impressed with the photos of statues at the Shrine... I saw they even have one for Our Lady of Medjugorje.

Making a website dedicated to the Blessed Mother is another way of helping to spread her messages and to promote belief in her.

Once again, here's the weblink to Kunundrom's website about the shrine:

http://209.158.24.7/~maesoph/national.htm