Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

#230993
Pete, I have 3 kids - 10, 7 and 5 years old. Would you say that the content would be too mature for them? With the film now available on Amazon prime, I want to know whether I should watch it with the family or by myself.
#230995
stunnedbyit wrote:Pete, I have 3 kids - 10, 7 and 5 years old. Would you say that the content would be too mature for them? With the film now available on Amazon prime, I want to know whether I should watch it with the family or by myself.
Well, they are more at risk of being bored by it than offended at that age I would think. There are some quite raw bits but nothing, I think, that should be a problem. Hard to advise! I'm a bit too close to it!
#230996
PeteStarr wrote:
stunnedbyit wrote:Pete, I have 3 kids - 10, 7 and 5 years old. Would you say that the content would be too mature for them? With the film now available on Amazon prime, I want to know whether I should watch it with the family or by myself.
Well, they are more at risk of being bored by it than offended at that age I would think. There are some quite raw bits but nothing, I think, that should be a problem. Hard to advise! I'm a bit too close to it!
Ha ha no problem - I understand. I will post my thoughts once I finally watch it.
#230999
Pete, I have a question for you. Do you ever worry that you are spoiling your family lineage because you are an atheist? I guess the reason I ask is because I think I remember you showing that you were from Leeds and one of my family lines comes from Leeds...they were coal miners and railroad layers before they emigrated to America. Even though they were baptized as Anglicans, my great grandfather married an Irish woman who had also emigrated to America in 1849 due to the potato famine. After they married he converted to Catholicism. I can trace a different family line from the Czech Republic all the way back to 1708 and the only reason I know about them is because of their sacramental records...baptism, marriage and death records that the Catholic Church has preserved. I was elated to discover all those records and I am amazed at how through adversity, famine, poverty etc. etc. these people: serfs, peasants and farmers would go to great lengths to receive the available sacraments. Have you ever considered that you are missing out on graces that your children or future grandchildren may need for you today?
#231000
maryannlucy wrote:Pete, I have a question for you. Do you ever worry that you are spoiling your family lineage because you are an atheist?... Have you ever considered that you are missing out on graces that your children or future grandchildren may need for you today?
I can honestly say it has never occurred to me. Short answer is "no", for these reasons:

Firstly, whilst church records may have been the only reliable record in the past I think that digital footprints and unique identifying id's have probably surpassed them .

Secondly and personally, I was adopted so have a messed up and unknown genealogy anyway.

Thirdly, I'm not an atheist by conscious choice - it's a label that applies because of what I believe. So even if I was missing out on a reliable record I would not change my cosmological view for that! In any case, I was baptised and married in a church so not sure I'm missing out on much.

Incidentally, I'm not from Leeds I'm from the South of England, born in London. I met my wife in Leeds and got stuck :)

Cheers, Pete
#231001
Thanks for your reply. The thing about grace is that it is so quiet and imperceptible a necessity that only when it is withdrawn will we really appreciate it when we could have had it, but rejected it. I didn't mean to offend with awkward wording, at any rate. Take care and God bless you and your family.
#231002
maryannlucy wrote:Thanks for your reply. The thing about grace is that it is so quiet and imperceptible a necessity that only when it is withdrawn will we really appreciate it when we could have had it, but rejected it. I didn't mean to offend with awkward wording, at any rate. Take care and God bless you and your family.
You didn't say anything offensive, on the contrary, your question was very sensitively put. In fact it may have been too subtle as I fear I may have missed your main point. Your observation appeared to me to be about lineage and genealogy but the link to graces from sacrament was not clear to me.
  • 1
  • 32
  • 33
  • 34
  • 35
  • 36
Beware of the Wolves. ♥

Isaiah 1:13-17 The Message (MSG) 13-17 “Qui[…]

your prayers are needed

Hi Irishm, Sorry to hear that. Ar dheis D&eacut[…]