Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By HOF_13
Was just wondering how everyone prays on a daily basis.

Do you's do conversational prayer, mental prayer?

Most of mine are wordy prayers, three rosaries a day, then st michael chaplet, divine mercy chaplet and st bridgets 12 year prayers.
By bluecross
DIAL SEVEN FOR HEAVEN

I like this advice from Fr Danko Perutina, the Franciscan priest who used to serve at Medjugorje.
What is important when it comes to prayer? For me, the best prayer consists of few points. Some people compare this with how one uses a telephone, because you dial a number and then a person answers.

• The first step is to come close to God, in his presence.
• The second step is to admit your sins.
• The third step is to forgive everyone.
• The fourth step is to renounce all sins.
• The fifth step is to accept your cross.
• The sixth step is to accept the Holy Spirit because once we renounce sin, we are empty and have to be filled with something.
• The seventh step is to say to God, thank you.

You have dialled the numbers 1-7 and that’s what we call telephone prayer. Try this prayer; you will be changed in a day.
By stunnedbyit
The fourth step is to renounce all sins

I sometimes wonder why certain sins hang around for what seems forever.
Being honest, I think that many people don't want to completely cut ties with certain sins.
I think there is an addictive component, but also a conscious decision made not to fight against temptation. That feeling of battling against yourself is far from enjoyable and it can be easier to cave in.
By bluecross
That’s why we have to stay close to God when the house is swept clean. This was explained by Jesus in last Friday’s Gospel reading (Luke 11 : 15-26).

When an unclean spirit goes out of a man it wanders through waterless country looking for a place to rest, and not finding one it says, “I will go back to the home I came from.” But on arrival, finding it swept clean and tidied, it then goes off and brings seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and set up house there, so that the man ends up being worse than he was before.”

We are not just battling with ourselves but the evil that sets up home within. And yes, there is the danger of addiction as Jesus says when he points out the man ending up being worse than he was before.

That’s why it is important to avail of the Sacrament of Reconciliation frequently, to draw strength from God’s grace, “the strong man” he speaks of in another passage, who casts out the intruders who look to settle in our souls and break down our resistance.

The devil knows our weaknesses. Always best to respond to his temptations with Scripture, just as Jesus did when he was tempted in the desert. Satan made the mistake of assuming Jesus would be weakened by 40 days of fasting and prayer.

So it’s no wonder that Our Lady constantly invites us to pray and fast.

We have to watch the subtle mind games Satan employs to entice people to sin. The classic was the line he gave Eve in the Garden when he tried to twist the word of God given to Adam and Eve. The serpent asked the woman, “Did God REALLY say you were not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?”

Eve answered: “We may eat the fruit of the trees in the garden. BUT of the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden God said, ‘You must not eat it, nor touch it, under pain of death.’”

So the serpent continues to contest the word of God, implying that God has lied. “No! You will not die!”

Satan still tries the same tactic with all of us at times, especially when he spots a weakness in our defence. In Eve’s case she liked fruit. Not satisfied with God’s gift of fruit from the rest of the trees, she cast her eyes on the forbidden fruit and succumbs to Satan’s temptation. It was a conscious decision on her part, Adam too. At thet time the fruit tasted good but afterwards they became aware of their sin. That’s why they hid from God when they heard him calling.

That’s something else we are inclined to do when we hear the voice of God, we shut down our conscience and try to hide in the darkness we have created for ourselves. But who are we kidding? :)

As for not being ready to renounce our sins, this is like the elder sibling of the man who had wasted his inheritance on wine, women and song and eventually made his way back to his father. His father welcomed him with open arms, dressed him in the finest clothes and celebrated his return with a feast.

Unfortunately, his elder brother was not ready to forgive his younger sibling for his wayward ways – or his father for putting on a celebration – and instead chose to turn down his father’s invitation to go inside and enjoy the feast. He remained brooding outside the house, not yet prepared to put aside his resentment and forgive.

He battled with himself when there was no need to. I guess he just didn’t understand or maybe want to accept the merciful love of the Father. What the Father offers to all of us is greater than any ‘pleasure’ on offer by Satan. But we can be encoraged that when we do fail to resist temptation then the Father is always waiting to forgive us when we decide to return to him. The offer to share in the feast is there for all of us.
By leo daly
Stunnedbyit, I've struggled with habitual sin. Go to confession, try to change, commit the same sin, confession again. Say to God (politely), "You said there would be more celebration over one repentant sinner than 10 just men" etc) and nothing seems to happen. 3 priests have said that (paraphrased) "we're on God's time. He knows we're trying. Your efforts are not going un noticed.". I take comfort from that. Several priests have said that Mortal sin has 2 conditions (1) Grave sine (2) Full Knowledge (3) Deliberate consent. If it is habitual, then the 3rd item is lessened if you are honestly trying to stop.
By stunnedbyit
bluecross wrote:
So the serpent continues to contest the word of God, implying that God has lied. “No! You will not .
In my experience, the serpent also says "give yourself a break.. you're addicted.. you're weak not malicious. Look at all those people doing worse things!" :D
By stunnedbyit
leo daly wrote:.". I take comfort from that. Several priests have said that Mortal sin has 2 conditions (1) Grave sine (2) Full Knowledge (3) Deliberate consent. If it is habitual, then the 3rd item is lessened if you are honestly trying to stop.
I have fallen into that fatal trap of not wanting to let down the priest.
I try to remind myself that I'm not seeking their personal forgiveness but to no avail.
It doesn't help that my priest has a generic response each time I go - it reinforces my lack of progress somehow.
By thebpman
Regular Mass also helps :)
You can also go to a different preist for confession. No harm in that.
By maryannlucy
I recently heard a talk by a priest where he said that regular confession helps root out personal sin because the prayer of absolution unbinds the tendencies we have to give in to temptations. He said the word absolution is taken from the latin to mean to loosen, untie, free up, release.
By stunnedbyit
The addiction which I have struggled with is much weaker than it once was. I am now the equivalent of an alcoholic who is mostly sober but still has the occasional slip up.
Unfortunately, the serpent tells me "you're now in control, an occasional indulgence will do you no harm". I fall for this hook, line and sinker!
By bluecross
God loves a trier! :)

We shouldn’t forget the Serpent is a liar and incapable of truth, but also brazen enough even to try and tempt Jesus.

“Those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again.” (John 4 : 14)
Last edited by bluecross on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Maryh
Something ugly I realise with myself is that sin can make me 'double-minded', where I'd be going back and forth,
loving the sin, yet feeling bad for how much I actually am 'enjoying' it, or 'can't help myself'.
I never seem to want to focus on the ugly underbelly of the consequences to myself and others, how it steals-peace, joy,
contentment, goodness and even worse could inflict untold agony upon a person, or even more than one person.
I try to minimize it too; sure its not that bad!! When it is bad.
Everything we do is connected to each other.
When your double minded your sin may still bring a smile to your face- & blindness & feelings of being encumbered happens then. Sin takes on an ugly life of its own.
I think you have to root it out consciously too, you have to focus on the ugliness of it, and want nothing more to do with it. Its way easier when its not you in the middle of it-to know what is the right thing to do. I get 'lost' in sin.
And even if you feel you still want it, you've made the decision and the choice to leave it behind. And just be willing to accept the suffering in exchange for God's best for us.
Just have that 'run for the hills' mentality and be really careful when you know your weakness is around.

I've just discovered this only this past week! :) All I have to do now is put my money where my mouth is!
Last edited by Maryh on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bluecross
Mary, your observation reminds me of Samson who skirted and flirted with Delilah. She eventually found the key to unlock his defence and the rest, as we say, is history.

He recognised the temptation but enjoyed the flattery and perhaps the pleasure of Delilah’s attention. In the end he finished up blind and destroyed all around him.

He should have run to the hills when he first recognised the danger, as you say but, like most men, thought he was invincible against the charms of a woman! :)
By Maryh
Wow Bluecross!! had never heard that story; will have to look it up! :?
Men can be lethal too in the charms stakes I hope ye realise. Flattery is very much condemned in the bible if my memory serves me correct?

Something I heard in a sermon once was that we're to be shepherds to one another too.
Good shepherds are known to us as our priests, but we also should share in this role. I am my brothers & (sisters) keeper.
True love means wanting the absolute best for the person; no matter what sacrifices are involved.
So if somebody has a weakness for say chocolate biscuits; don't bring them along just because you want one with your tea!
Your brother or sister may hoover them up & end up sick as a parrot & with diabetes complications because that is their weakness.

Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Philippians 2:4

:wink:
By Ronan
Hi all,

Interesting discussion with with great comments from everyone. I would like to tell you a little story that's relevant to
these posts.

I had booked and paid for a trip back to Ireland (I currently live in Australia) and also to London for the rugby world cup, with a week in Medj to start the trip off- How cool is that..?

Shortly before the trip this month last year I had lots of expenses, between one thing and another I was finding cash v hard to stay in my pocket!

With a few days to go before my flight I had to upgrade my ph, when I was emptying out my old ph and transferring the info across to the new ph I
came across a note which I had put on the old ph the last time in was in Medj - on Apparition hill.

On Apparition hill I met with a guy whom I had a few chats with in the days prior to this meeting, he was a young man in his early 20's from Northern Ireland

We bumped into each other on the top of Apparition hill and he told me about a book he read saying it was fantastic and that I should get it.

I had forgotten all about it until I had seen it in the notes- I thought ha that is funny as I'm about to go to Medj again...
I had dismissed the idea of buying it as I was spending money like water.. but it started to niggle me, thinking my out goings lately have been massive so what dose it matter if i spend just another $15! So i bought it on kindle- my 1st book on the new ph!

I got through about 40% in the week i was in Medj and boy was it appropriate for me and I believe it would be appropriate to everybody.

The book asks the questions that are on this tread and deal with inter generational healing - healing of the family tree/ reasons for habitual sin, with compelling arguments.
Around about this time I also came across a 2nd book on the same lines but come from a different angle.
I highly recommend both books if the subject matter interests you.

unbound by Neal Lozano

The healing of families by Fr Yozefu- This book can only be purchased from their web site and shipped from the US

Enjoy and pls drop me a line if you read them.

GB

Ro
By Maryh
Hi Ro :)
I will certainly try to get my hands on those books.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Read about Samson in the bible! Must have been where that expression 'love is blind' came from.
Lot of lessons to be learned from that story.