Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

This seems like a very good thing. It will be great to have someone there from the Vatican doing his best to attend to the needs of the people going there. I would imagine that he would have access to resources that could really help out.
thebpman wrote: really help out.
The mission is to help out the needs of the people going there on pilgrimage.

Tell me, what help do they need?

Daily standing room only Masses in multiple languages. Holy Eucharists in the thousands being eagerly consumed. A room of perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament full of reverent people. Lines and lines and lines of people going to confession (some right out in the open on folding chairs). Rosaries being continually said. Orphans being cared for at Mother's Village. People climbing rocky mountains (some barefoot or on their knees) to venerate the Mother of the Son of God. Addicts finding new life at Cenacalo. Strangers pulling strangers up a steep boulder-strewn mountain where they can kneel at the foot of a concrete cross and offer their prayers of thanksgiving. Prodigal people, away for so long, breaking down in tears and having conversions of the heart and returning to Christ the Lord.

In a place where a saint's shoes sit quietly in a room at the foot of Podbro silently bearing witness to the power of this holy place, what 'needs' will Bishop Hoser find are lacking in Medjugorje that he can report to Pope Francis? Not enough holy water fonts? Not enough copies of L’Osservatore Romano on the table in the back of St. James Church? Too many people visiting a bronze knee? Pizza parlor too close to the church? What can he recommend be done for the pilgrims that is not already being done by the Lord and His Most Holy Mother?

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
The press statement says, firstly:
“to acquire a profound understanding of the pastoral situation”
This may apply to the pastors at Medjugorje, the Franciscans. Perhaps they need help in helping with the needs of pilgrims.

Pope Francis once said: “Theology and pastoral care go hand in hand. Theological doctrine that doesn’t let itself be directed and formed by its evangelizing purpose and by the Church’s pastoral concerns is no less unthinkable than pastoral activity that doesn’t know how to use revelation and tradition to better understand the Faith and preach it as Jesus commands.”

I can’t help but think back to all the fuss that was created with the luminous statue in Vicka’s old home. The parish priest realised the danger and had it removed. It’s never been returned or heard of since.
I think it is a great thing. I think if the Vatican was worried, they'd have taken a more negative stand. I think the appointment of an overseer of the pilgrims is going to be a big help. Maybe my days of door security at the English mass may be numbered.
thebpman wrote:You don't think it's a good thing
I think it is an unknown thing.

I'm wondering what good a Vatican 'overseer' (as Leo put it) would bring.

What role will they take? Observers? Or overseers? Overseer brings with it the connotation of active control. What form would that control take? And would it be for the better or worse?

An 'overseer of the pilgrims'. Do I really need to be overseen when I am under the mantle of Our Lady?
Be it unfortunate if so much brühaha to
announce an envoy is going, results
in that to be the last we heard from
this man.
Apart of course from some unhealthy
speculative oral convulsions. Like
what happened with the Medjugorje
commission and Gianluca Barile
reporting "the 'apparitions' do not
have any supernatural character;
therefore it is forbidden to the
faithful to participate in the 'ecstasy'
of the six 'seers', and the latter are
prohibited from divulging the texts
of the messages they supposedly
receive from the Madonna.”

Unless the envoy's task is to
implement these rulings we may
never notice the intentions.
I like the words of the bishop. “The nomination is a surprise for me because I had never been to Medjugorje and I do not know the issues up close."

So it seems the Bishop of Mostar is still in charge. :-(

Cheers
Leo.
So it seems the Bishop of Mostar is still in charge. :-(
His retirement date is not that far off. 8)

I wonder where the Archbishop will kip at night? Will it be at the bishop’s palace in Mostar, or in one of the Franciscan’s rooms in the village, or even at a visionary’s’ home?

What if he was to hook up with a pilgrimage group for a week and live the pilgrimage experience first hand?

I’m sure Pope Francis would be very proud of him if he did that! :)
In referring to Medjugorje, the article said "at a place where there has been inadequate Church guidance . . ."

Who writes this stuff?

“Inadequate”? Let’s be clear. Since word of the events of Medjugorje first reached the Vatican over thirty years ago, there has been NO clear and concise church guidance for the lay faithful. And history shows us that there never is guidance with apparitional events like this.

And to be fair, we acknowledge that there cannot be as the event is still unfolding. We acknowledge that the church cannot yet pass judgment on the matter of the apparitions.

So what is behind the naming of Bishop Hoser as the Medjouorje "Special Envoy"? We are told that his mission “has the aim of acquiring a deeper knowledge of the pastoral situation there and above all, of the needs of the faithful who go there in pilgrimage, and on the basis of this, to suggest possible pastoral initiatives for the future.” And he has to achieve this in the next several months because the bishop "is expected to finish his mandate as Special Envoy by summer of this year.”

Medjugorje is the 800 lb gorilla in St. Peter's basilica that the church just doesn’t know what to do with. The Vatican now feels they need a fresh assessment of this renegade Marian event that just won't go away on its own.

So what does Bishop Hoser's 'mission statement' mean after you translate it into plain language? “acquiring a deeper knowledge “ - There it is - this is simply a reconnaissance mission.
Prodigals... there is clear and concise Church guidance for the faithful, and in writing, but unfortunately some of the Medjugorje faithful choose or want to ignore it, or are ignorant of the Church’s declared position on the phenomenon and what that entails for the faithful.

You say Our Lady is in charge, so why not put more trust in her as Mother of the Church? :)
It's nice to know that the Church hasn't forgotten about Medjugorje. It has seemed a little strange to hear the major news networks writing about Medjugorje after hearing hardly a word for so long. No need to fear the outcome of this envoy (at least long-term) as anything from God will stand.

I envy the bishop for getting to spend so much time there -- a very blessed man... He'll never be the same in a good way :)