Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By stunnedbyit
I must admit that my faith is regularly tested by the rapid and dramatic decline of Christianity in Europe.
At the same time,I look around and see 2 other ideologies flourishing: atheism and Islam.
For those here who are Bible scholars, does this slow death fit into what was written in the Bible? Was this prophesied?
A voice in my head regularly asks "how can it make sense that the true religion is the one that is dying"?
I know that these thoughts indicate that I have a weak faith. They indicate a tendency to excessively look at things in terms of demographics and numbers.
Someone give me a cyber slap in the face and tell me why I should not let the European situation worry me! :)
P.S.: the Civil war at the Vatican (re. Amoris Laetitia) has also been disturbing me
By Maryh
Hi StunnedByIt

Think its easy to feel like a cat among the pigeons or a fish out of water these days.
One thing that consoles me is that whatever faith is remaining here in Europe; it will
be more likely to be the real deal.
Years ago, there seemed to be safety in numbers but i do believe so many of these were Christians in name only.
Many were just going along with it in a herd mentality type way. This is just my impression.
The church held enormous power in my country and was totally enmeshed with the state...for better or for worse-this may have
attracted the power hungry type.
I believe that even if church numbers seem dwindling now; its a more honest reflection of true faith.
That's me being optimistic about it.
Also I heard Christianity is growing & flourishing in different parts of the world; in places like Africa.

I did read things in the bible that i thought described situations that are now occurring; particularly in some places.
I read something about 'Arab armies advancing & beheading and whatnot but the jest of it was not to worry; that Jesus
is not going to abandon or forsake us; we may have to suffer but God will bring us safely through it.'
First when i read it, i felt horrified but it was reassuring in the end.
[Not very scholarly a description here i know! I can't remember where in the bible i found it!]

The other one that kind of deals with the atheism aspect that i sometimes worry i'm guilty of too is this:
2 Tim. 3
Evil in the Last Days
1But understand this: In the last days terrible times will come. 2For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3unloving, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, without love of good, 4traitorous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Turn away from such as these!

I read this every now and again and feel paranoid encase i met any of these descriptions!
As for the Vatican situation; Yes i'm shocked too. Watched a very disturbing youtube video on the Vatican recently as well. Don't have anything positive to contribute on that one!
Just know i should pray for Pope Francis more; he's really up against it.
Please consider Our Lady's "Prophecy" of November 1981

"Russia will come to glorify God the most; the West has made modern progress but without Gid and act as if they are their own creators" These prophetic words describe PRECISELY the world today. Stay tuned
bluecross wrote:SBI... I did respond with a lengthy reply, but pulled it as my heart whispered: “Stop wasting your time.” 8)
I can't blame you BC :) You have known me on this forum for 10 years and I've unfortunately made little progress in that time!

Ministryvalues - the Russian angle is very interesting even if the West tends to portray Russia as pure evil.

Maryh - 2 Tim 3 is like a commentary on modern Western life
My understanding is that Our Mother is telling us to pray to understand the signs of the times. In the bible at one point Jesus asks, "When the Son of Man comes will He find faith on the earth?" To me this is the 'sign of the times' Here are a few messages that Our Lady speaks about them.

August 25, 1993 Dear children! I want you to understand that I am your Mother, that I want to help you and call you to prayer. Only by prayer can you understand and accept my messages and practice them in your life. Read Sacred Scripture, live it, and pray to understand the signs of the times. This is a special time, therefore, I am with you to draw you close to my heart and the heart of my Son, Jesus. Dear little children, I want you to be children of the light and not of the darkness. Therefore, live what I am telling you. Thank you for having responded to my call.

April 2, 2006 Dear Children, I am coming to you, because, with my own example, I wish to show you the importance of prayer for those who have not come to know the love of God. You ask yourself if you are following me? My children, do you not recognize the signs of the times? Do you not speak of them? Come follow me. As a mother I call you. Thank you for having responded. ”

part message May 2, 2016 ...Do not forget that in the Eucharist, which is the heart of faith, my Son is always with you. He comes to you and breaks the bread with you; because, my children, for your sake He died, He resurrected and is coming anew. These words of mine are familiar to you because they are the truth, and the truth does not change. It is only that many of my children have forgotten it. My children, my words are neither old nor new, they are eternal. Therefore, I invite you, my children, to observe well the signs of the times, to 'gather the shattered crosses' and to be apostles of the revelation. Thank you. ”
on this forum for 10 years and I've unfortunately made little progress in that time!
We progress in age, and so our perspective on life and understanding of oneself changes as well. That doesn’t mean the challenges in life disappear. They will always be there. But one’s attitude and take on life can.

I don’t call that progress. If life was measured in that way it would simply be a game of snakes and ladders and trying to race ahead of others.

My experience tells me that if I am unhappy with the world or any person, then I am unhappy with myself, and it’s time for some honest self appraisal of my heart without trying to beat myself up in the process. :)

One to one with God, and listening to his voice with our hearts lights the way in darkness.
By Maryh
I always consider progress to mean that we're growing to be more and more like Christ.
With more of the fruits of the holy spirit like kindness, gentleness, self-control, and the like.
Certain experiences we have may make us grow, especially the painful ones where you feel like you've been pruned.
Just because we may feel like we've made no progress may not be the fact in reality. We may have grown in an obvious way to others,
or even if we're at a steady state, at least we haven't deteriorated.

Think its common to have vast variations in how close we feel to God though. I've heard its common to feel like we're not growing and that God seems nothing more than a vague idea than a living reality to us. It can be hard sometimes to have faith that he's always there and never forsakes us no matter what.
I can go through dry spells and life is like a dessert, where I feel thirsty for the springs and there seems to be none too.
That's when I get myself into the most trouble, by taking my eyes off God.

Something that I don't really understand is when I hear the lesson that sometimes God is trying to teach us the difference between
everyday, visible matters and eternal matters. Can't quite wrap my mind around that.
How we are to see life from an eternal perspective. Even in the here and now!
bluecross wrote:My experience tells me that if I am unhappy with the world or any person, then I am unhappy with myself, and it’s time for some honest self appraisal of my heart without trying to beat myself up in the process.
I envy you Bluecross, to have reached this point. I'm utterly sickened with the behaviour of more than one person.
Only thing that holds me back is remembering that Vengeance belongs to God and not me.
bluecross wrote:One to one with God, and listening to his voice with our hearts lights the way in darkness.
Love that.