Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By thebpman
I can not accept that report. Too many graces for too many people. Too many miracles. What a shock. This is last thing I expected to happen. I'm shattered.
By bluecross
Doubt is NOT rejection. :)

And neither is the Medjugorje phenomenon an all-or-nothing situation.

There are many claims about Medjugorje I would dispute and even reject, but that does not mean I reject everything.

And so with the Church. The Commission has accepted the first seven apparitions (seven days?). That is positive.

The Commission has also suggested Medjugorje is placed under the protection of the Holy See. That is positive.

It has not rejected the ongoing apparitions, only saying it doubts.

Many years ago, my seven-year-old son struggled with understanding who God was. He kept asking questions, but his brain could not understand the concept of an eternal God who made the world from nothing. And because of this he REJECTED God, and has never returned to faith. At some time in the future he may be blessed with God’s grace to return, although I may never see it in my lifetime. God or the Church does not hurry.

The Commission has not rejected the ongoing apparitions, but has said it doubts, just as Pope Francis has said, just as millions of others doubt, just as Thomas doubted.

So I see all of this in a very positive light: The Holy See, it seems, will take steps to protect Medjugorje and the tree that produces so much good fruit. In time it may take further steps to endorse more of the apparitions or even some of the visionaries.

There are many stops and stations on Mt Krizevac before we are confronted with God’s greatest sign of love –– the Cross and new life in Christ.
By ministryvalues
I think it is hugely positive.. Vatican says the origins of Medjugorje are supernatural.. The apparitions of the Blessed Mother are authentic. (first seven days)

Not sure what more we would want .. They were never going to say much more than that mainly becasue the secrets and other things still remain in doubt.

This is big positive, Am I wrong here?

One question What does this mean "the commission has endorsed the end of the ban on pilgrimages organized in Medjugorje "
By bluecross
You’re not wrong, Steve.

If the Pope follows through on the Commission’s findings then this will open the floodgates to Medjugorje.

Shrine status means that pilgrimages may be organised at Diocesan level (as pilgrimages to recognised shrines like Fatima and Lourdes).

Up to now, this has not been allowed because it would suggest the Church was endorsing the apparitions.

If Medjugorje is blessed with Vatican approval (Pontifical recognition), then this removes any obstacle in promoting Medjugorje at diocesan level.

Yes, Pope Francis, is clued in on all of this. He knows the outcome and conversions will continue through Medjugorje.

Yes, it’s a big, big, big positive if Francis follows through. Amazing how the CDF tried to block this! That has been the problem for a long time.

This struggle would not have lasted 36 years if the Mostar bishop had not rejected the phenomenon. But then for a bishop who doesn’t believe in the apparitions at Lourdes or Fatima, we shouldn’t be surprised. He has fought against the phenomenon all the way. Now he is about to lose an important revenue stream for his diocese unless the Vatican chips in to help. All Mass stipends went to the bishop’s office for redistribution to poorer parishes. Now it will be the Vatican who decides where the Mass stipend given by pilgrims will go.

First project – a basilica. There is room behind St James church to expand. The parish bought the land a few years back in anticipation. :)

Distribution of the monthly messages and probably others via the parish website is likely to be discontinued.
By ministryvalues
Must hand it to the Vatican and Pope Francis...Perfect solution. Cast doubt the ongoing things i.e. secrets without condemning the visionaries ..and saying the origins of Medjugorje are supernatural ..Apparitions are authentic.

This is particularly a very good solution for the many priests who chose their vocation because of Medjugorje.
By bluecross
Another point to consider and a strong possibility... If (or when) the Vatican gives its seal of approval to Medjugorje and it becomes “an authority dependent on the Holy See”, then Pope Francis will be free to visit without any criticism of being seen to endorsing the ongoing apparitions.

This is what upset the local bishop when Cardinal Schönborn made a ‘private’ visit to Medjugorje a few years back. He was fearful it would be seen as an endorsement for Medjugorje.

When Medjugorje is recognised by the Holy See then any cardinal or high-ranking bishop will be free to visit without being concerned about endorsing the ongoing apparitions. Once this flow begins, then watch all the other priests start to follow and feel more comfortable about going there without worrying if their bishop is going to reprimand them.

And neither will any priest have to be endorsed by the Mostar bishop. It will be out of his hands.
By thebpman
Thank you all very much for illuminating my dark outlook. This is actually pretty awesome.
By thebpman
I think I know why I was surprised by the report. Firstly I thought it was a ruling by the Church instead of being what it is, which is an advisory report making recommendations.
I ignored the report recommending that the first seven days were real and only took notice of all the other apparitions being in doubt.
For me Medjugorje was a spring board back into the Catholic faith. This report unsettled me because I do not have doubt in the apparitions. Telling me that visionaries may have been lying or tricked is like telling me that Saint Peter and his mates were telling a pack of whopping lies.
It's very strange for me. The two go hand in hand. This was the first time that I have been faced with the possibility of having to choose between two truths.
I'm not really worried now though because this is something that God has started so no matter what, it will end brilliantly.
It's not an idle curiosity, the Medjugorje phenomenon is a truth and as long as the messages support Christ's teaching then it would be hard to shake that belief out of me.