Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By leo daly
"I know its somewhat off topic, but do you think God can even use people who are evil to bring us closer to him?"

Yes. I was away from the faith. Still went to Mass and said the Rosary to keep mum happy. One day I saw the movie "The Omen" which is loosely based on Revelations (with a lot of false quotes). I was 21 and loved reading so I grabbed the bible and read Revelations over and over and over trying to figure out what it meant. I then saw a book titled Armageddon with lots of prophecies such as Nostradamus etc. One chapter was on Garabandal. Shortly after this at dinner, mum announced their catholic women's league group had a speaker about Garabandal. I nearly fell off my chair because mum is a no nonsense person who isn't into end of the world prophecies. I listened to her without saying what I knew and I realised she was following for the right reasons - return to the sacraments etc. If I hadn't been into it for the other reasons, I wouldn't have taken much notice of mum, but we bought a book and I read it over and over. Shortly after that, her group had a speaker about Medjugorje and so I listened to what she had to say. Initially, I thought it was boring "Dear children pray,pray,pray thank you for having responded to my call. However, I still felt called to follow it. 10 years later, I had caused a major problem and said to Our Lady "If you do ..... for me, I'll go as soon as I can (I was working full time). She partly granted that prayer and so I went and my life changed dramatically.

Cheers
Leo.
By stunnedbyit
This discussion raises the question of how important miraculous phenomena has been in helping the Church survive for 2000 years. It was really Medjugorje and Padre Pio which made me revisit Catholicism in my early 20's. Not sure I would have done so if all I had was the Gospel and St Paul.
I must admit that it would shake my foundations if this was all a case of deception/ self deception. I know that I'm leaving myself open to accusations of having a flimsy faith, but this is how I feel.
By Prodigals
stunnedbyit wrote:I must admit that it would shake my foundations if this was all a case of deception/ self deception.

Let me start by saying I do believe in genuine private revelations and their role in the life of the Church.

Throughout the ages, there have been many so-called 'private' revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to 'improve' or 'complete' Christ's definitive Revelation. And we should never forget that the Church never imposes on Catholics the obligation of believing anyone's private revelations, even those of the great saints.

There are, and always have been, many false events. These always seem to exhibit one thing in common, that they always are somehow centered on the importance of the visionary. Some, however, are a little more difficult to spot. And that is where meticulous discernment comes in.

But there is no doubt that in assessing the validity of private revelations it is absolutely imperative to use great caution and deeply discern them. Many spiritually hungry people are all too eager to leap in acceptance of almost any report of a supposed supernatural visitation, regardless of whether the occurrence has problematic elements to it which may be in violation of doctrinal elements of Catholicism. Christian faith cannot accept 'revelations' that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the sole fulfillment. In her autobiography, St. Margaret Mary said Our Lord told her: "Listen, My daughter, and do not lightly believe and trust every spirit, for Satan is angry and will try to deceive you." Good advice indeed (if Our Lord really said that to her - there's my discernment).

We absolutely must deeply discern before accepting any private revelation as bona-fide, because as you point out if one day you are confronted with the falsity of it, the price you will pay will be great regret.
By ActionReq
if one day you are confronted with the falsity of it, the price you will pay will be great regret.
Kind of do not agree with that.
I do not believe in a god who
would disapprove if I were not
able to discern, or if I would
have discerned false. Paying a
price called "great regret" means
nothing to me, or to my Jesus.
My Jesus prefers me to believe
something false, then to not
believe something true.
I do discern though.
By Ronan
Bluecross:
Fr Petar is still about, but unlikely now to be the priest (if any) who will announce the so-called secrets.

I had a coffee here in Perth Australia recently with a friend who was in Medj last month and she told me she met Fr Petar. When i asked her to tell me about him she said:
He was just so happy, bursting and full of life.

There is no reason to doubt that Fr Petar will be the priest- despite the passage of time, a time of Grace which has been hinted at of late that this time of Grace may be moving into a time of justice..

Mirjana is now on record as saying she would be happy to hand the secrets to Pope Francis if he wanted.

The above statement was in the context of Mirjana explaining that she would always be loyal to the Pope.

Cheers Cheers from down under
By johntt
Ronan wrote:Bluecross:
Fr Petar is still about, but unlikely now to be the priest (if any) who will announce the so-called secrets.

I had a coffee here in Perth Australia recently with a friend who was in Medj last month and she told me she met Fr Petar. When i asked her to tell me about him she said:
He was just so happy, bursting and full of life.

There is no reason to doubt that Fr Petar will be the priest- despite the passage of time, a time of Grace which has been hinted at of late that this time of Grace may be moving into a time of justice..
Yes, I was very surprised to read BC's comment about Fr Petar being 'unlikely' to be the priest that Mirjana would use to inform the world of the secrets. BC gave no indication of what he had based his comment on.
    Nice debate going on here....

For me, the more I experience the fruits of Medugorje and meet the people who have been so blessed by this place of pilgrimage,
    the more I come to believe... It has changed so many lives for the better...

And the more I see the world falling into evil the more I appreciate Mary for staying with us so long at such a crucial point in our History...

The world needs Medjugorje which is a bright and shinning light in a world full of darkness... I just wonder how bad things would be now if Mary hadn't come when she did and stay for so long.

Yes, Medjugorje is alive and well...
    By irish m
    I second that the people I have been talking to and the story's I have heard
    Medjugorje the fruits are good
    No matter what anyone says
    Our Blessed Mother is there
    For she brought me there and I haven't left it

God Bless you all
    love Irish M :) :D :D :D