Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By beachgal
Does anyone have any specific recommendations?
By Awe_Full
The Miracle Detective by Randall Sullivan
It converted me and several people I know of.

Peter
By beachgal
Thanks Peter! :D I need to line up some books for summer reading at the beach!
By Steven
Wow! That was powerful testimony. Thank you much for posting the
link, Tim. I just bought Randall's book today. He is for real; honest,
sincere, courageous. Also, welcome to The Forum.

Steven
By rdinardo
Awe_Full wrote:The Miracle Detective by Randall Sullivan

Peter
I read the book after I came back from Medjugorje in October 2007, and after seeing it recommended by someone on this forum. It is a very good read and a wonderful account of the beginning apparitions. I'd highly recommend it.
By Steven
Thanks rdinardo. Welcome to The Forum.

Steven
By M.I.Tom
Medjugorje Day by Day by Fr. Richard Beyer is a fine book. It is basically a prayer book giving a devotional thought for every day of the year and a message excerpt. Usually, the essays for every day are around 3/4 of a page long so it's a good read.

One of my favorites was for one day he wrote about an American soldier in World War II; and published his inspirational letter to home and yes, it was the last letter he wrote. He might have even been on the Normany D-day landing force.

I've bought the book twice, losing my first one.

So, for whereever you might find it, here is the amazon link describing it: http://www.amazon.com/Medjugorje-Day-Da ... 720&sr=8-1
By JJFARR
Awe_Full wrote:The Miracle Detective by Randall Sullivan

Peter
This I also found was a wonderful book despite or perhaps becaause of some strange excursions in it. These make it a lot more real to the reader than a lot of other books on the subject 8)
By Steven
Thanks M.I.Tom. I'll keep an eye out for that.
I just started reading The Miracle Detective by Randall Sullivan
so I'll be busy for a while, JJ.

Welcome to The Forum JJFARR and M.I.Tom

Steven
By Joseph Raymond
Hello to all. I recently had the pleasure to interview Randall Sullivan on my radio station. I am soon going to post the interview on our radio station web-site. Once I post the interview I will put the lnk on this page. He is a fascinating man who most of you know was raised by atheist parents and was an agnostic before going to Medjugorje and writing the book.
I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this site and meet "kindred Spirits". Do you know how LONG it took me to find you all??!! :D
By Steven
Everything in God's time. Welcome to The Forum, Joseph. I look forward
to reading your interview with Randall Sullivan.

Steven
By Joseph Raymond
Thank you for the welcome Steven! And yes, 'all in God's time frame, not mine...You will be happy to know the interview was recorded so I will post it in audio form. You will be able to click and link to it. I am very busy at work right now but I should have it ready by next week.
Thanks AGAIN Steven! God Bless.
By mamamary
miracle detective was a great book--my only complaint---why not MORE books????

he is such an honest and earthy writer, i felt there is so much more to be covered and explored with his story. it has an attraction to a wide range of readers, many of whom would not have been attracted to reading such a book had it not the appeal in writing style to the younger reader. his 'rolling stone' writing experience gave the story an edge which can be lacking in books of the religious type.

so many concepts of that book could be expanded into books of their own! i hope we hear from him again soon!
By Joseph Raymond
Well said Mamamary...Excellent point about Randalls "Rolling Stone" writing experience. And I agree that he is a "honest earthy writer"..It really is a "page turner". I couldn't put it down..absolutely FASCINATING...
I wondered the same thing; why not more of these type of books? I hate to sound paranoid but it may very well be because of the "Diabolical Disorientation" that permeates the media these days...of which I rail against as a person in the media...
God Bless.
By mamamary
well, i think his book proved there is a market for it. just unfortunate that those with such writing talent rarely venture into this type of writing. they are drawn more to topics where the money is and their expertise lies.....sullivan himself talks about the stretch he had to make when this subject was presented him. it was simply out of his realm at the time, but he gave it a shot.

i think he has just scratched the surface of this niche, and now he has the unique expertise as a seasoned author on the subject, which will only prove to give his next books even more punch.

sadly, tho, he is one of a very small number of authors who could write such a book. so very few authors have the talent, the spirituality and desire to write a book about they mystery of faith. understandably, those with talent find they lack the basic knowledge of catholic mysticism, conversely, those theologians with the knowledge, generally lack the talent to write in a way which appeals to the average reader. sullivan proved to be a perfect combination of the two!

thanks and welcome aboard, joseph!
By Coloradocatholic
You might look into "Medjugorje Investigated" by Michael Kenneth Jones.
He got a lot of the US State dept fact sheets about the investigation the US State Dept did on Medjugorje via the freedom of information act. Its interesting from a factual perspective.

The author had to rush to get it printed in time in Medjugorje in time for the 25th anniversary there, so there are a number of grammatical errors in it- didn't have time to get it properly edited. But the just of the book is interesting using facts and reports. Its only about $17.00

You can get info on it via the MedjugorjeUSA.org website
By pablovb
I think that is important that for now on be more careful about people who are there because maybe the person or people who did the attack is still there or spying or anything else.
By tpangle
As I have been writing my own thesis, judging books on Medjugorje has really been my "job" of sorts. So here are my picks:

The Miracle Detective Randall Sullivan This book was written by a former Rolling Stones Magazine editor. He comes to stay in Medjugorje with Mirjana and is completely spiritually and religiously raw. He writes about Medjugorje from a secular standpoint, but details his amazing conversion throughout the book. I am absolutely in awe of this book and I think that everyone connected with Medjugorje should read it!

Medjugorje: The 90s Sister Emmanuel This book is divinely protected! I am sure of that! I picked up this book while I was not even religious or cared anything about Catholicism. I read it and was converted overnight! I experienced through Sr. Emmanuel's writing -- and by the Grace of God -- an infusion of Catholic knowledge. I understood everything about Hell, Heaven, Purgatory, Grace, Prayer, Mary, etc.! This book is a must-read!!!!

Our Lady’s Call from Medjugorje Mirjana Stanislava Vasilj-Zuccarini This author is deeply connected with Medjugorje and is able to give testimonies, village history and pictures that no one else really would have access to. This is kind of an "inside look" at the village and hamlets of Medjugorje and the visionaries own personal lives. Very amazing book, but since it is published in Bosnia and translated into English, it is confusing at times but well worth the read!

The Madonna of Medjugorje Video This video describes the reason why the Bishop of Mostar and the government of Yugoslavia so fiercely detested the apparitions of Medjugorje. You begin to understand just how quickly rumors can spread in an area of Herzegovina with so much historical controversy. This is probably one of the most helpful documentaries on Medjugorje that I have ever seen. It is pro-Medjugorje and will help you be a better defender of the apparitions.

Encounters with Father Jozo Sabrina Covic This book is a transcript of a lengthy interview with Fr. Jozo about all manners of things regarding the apparitions and his imprisonment. It sheds a lot of light on the situation. One thing you must remember when reading Fr. Jozo, some of the visionaries and other priests is that they are human with human memories. Sometimes small details contradict each other. This does not mean they are intentionally deceiving, it just means they have told the story so many times that it turns into a habit. Think of a story that you have told over and over again. Every time you tell it, it is different and takes a different turn in your mind -- you remember more things and forget to mention some, etc.

Visions of the Children Janice T. Connell While this author is controversial for the visionaries, I still very much love this book. Connell takes several interview with the visionaries and transcribes them all into one book. This book will really help you understand the nature of the apparitions, and of Grace, Prayer, Hell, Heaven and Purgatory.

Medjugorje Today Jelenko Rastic For those who really love history, anthropology and culture, I would suggest this book. This book is not really at all about the apparitions at Medjugorje, but is a series of essays by famous and learned scholars on different aspects of Medjugorje culture. There is an essay on the history of the region and peoples of Herzegovina; a history of the Vasilj hamlet and family of Medjugorje; there is an interview with Dr. Fr. Rene Laurentin on the medical studies on the visionaries of Medjugorje. It is such an interesting book! But for those of you looking to learn more about the apparitions themselves, I would stick to Medjugorje: The 90s, Visions of the Children or Miracle Detective.

God-Sent: A History of Accredited Apparitions of Mary Roy Abraham Varghese For all you philosophers out there, this book is about the plausibility of Marian apparitions. He speaks of all “accredited” Marian apparitions world-wide. This book is a great book to give to a Catholic who “has a hard time” with Marian apparitions. Varghese makes very good arguments. I think you may remember that he had a huge hand in converting noted atheist Antony Flew a few years back. Varghese also has a book about Eucharistic miracles. However, be weary, because I would put Varghese in the group of believers who believe every single person who says that they have an experience and he may not be judging carefully enough in some instances. Either way his philosophical and theological arguments are fantastic!!!

Medjugorje and the Church Denis Nolan This book is also a really good book to give someone who is Catholic, pro-Fatima, but anti-Medjugorje (I think we all know a quite few of these people). This book gives documents and testimonies as to why our last two Popes have believed in Medjugorje and why we should, based on the Vatican, believe in Medjugorje too.

Medjugorje: A Portfolio of Images This book was written in 1987 and has lots and lots of rare photos and quotes. In fact, I caught in the credits one of the authors being "G. Amorth"...Gabriele Amorth, the famous exorcist, maybe??? :)

*** The best place to find obscure books about Medjugorje is Amazon.com

Good luck!!!!
Last edited by tpangle on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By starbright
Thanks! :D
By Andy08
Randall Sullivan's books is a must read. I can't put it down and I relisten to that interview all the time.
By Andy08
The reference section of the Sullivan book recommends a number of books. I highly recommend Encountering Mary by Sandra L. Zimdars-Swartz.

Andy
By john
Medjugorje What's Happening? by James Mulligan is a superb book. It contains the following interesting story: Franjo youngest of Vicka's four sisters and three brothers said that at six o'clock one morning in April 1981 (two months or so before June 24th 1981) he spotted two sets of Rosary beads in a tractor trailer. On one set of Rosary beads there was a quite beautifully carved crucifix in ivory depicting all fourteen stations of the Stations of the Cross. They checked with all the neighbours but nobody claimed the beads. Vicka asked the Gospa about the Rosary beads. Gospa said that the Rosaries were a special gift from her to Vicka's family. The book contains photographs of the beads.