Discuss various subjects, including Church topics and world events, through the lens of Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

Is joining in another religion's religious service the same as worshipping false gods?

yes
11%
no
89%
By starbright
I have a friend who used to be really into Hindu yoga and used to attend a temple in London when she lived there.

Now we met about a year and a half ago and our town is not big enough to have a similar temple so she has not got back into it since she moved here.

Recently we met a couple who also are into it and my friend has arranged to go round to theirs and do some prayers and chanting to the Hindu gods such as Shiva, Ganesha and Krishna.

My dilemma is that she has asked me to come with her and join in. She knows that I am Catholic but she sees no problem with asking me to do this.

My question is, if I were to go and join in, would I be worshipping false gods?

What do you think and what would you do in this situation?
By buckley
i wouldnt go...you shouldnt be finding shiva, they should be finding jesus...but thats just my opinion
By MedjAdmin
I would go just to experience it. We can't be ostriches with our heads in the sand. Go for the cultural experience, but perhaps just don't pray to whomever they pray to... replace "shiva" with "jesus" in your heart when it's time to pray. To me it sounds like an interesting opportunity to see how the "other half" lives. We are all God's children. That's just my opinion as a human being, not as the moderator! :D
By Pippy
Sean, I get the biggest kick out of you...that last sentence made me chuckle! :lol: Star, it would probably be okay to go but pray to Jesus before you go. Ask Him to protect your mind, heart, and soul...to help you NOT be confused. You are still young and impressionable. Preparing like that AHEAD of time will really be benefical for you. Carry a Rosary and some blessed objects on you. Pippy :D
By Luka
I think we should look up to the pope JPII, he also visited sinagogue and other places where other monotheistic religions practice their faith and even prayed there to god, because we all have the same one god. But i don't remember him praying to Shiva, Ganesha and Krishna. I think you shouldn't go, but that's just my personal opinion. I think you should rather ask those same people that invited you to come with you to church to pray the rosary or even to visit medjugorje.
By Spera
Maybe you could explain that you couldn't actually join in since you'd be praying to something you don't believe in and that would be a lie, but you could still go with her for support? I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to talk about religion in general, but maybe you already do that with her?
By buckley
uhhh well come to think about it, its good to have an open mind and when they do the chanting you could say a silent prayer to yourself or something
By starbright
Thanks people, this is helping.

The other couple I don't know well enough to ask to pray the rosary but my friend might do it with me. My church doesn't do it unfortuately and is locked in the daytime. We do already talk about religion and I shared some prayers with her (eg the Hail Holy Queen, which she said was really lovely)

I think that I will go but pray to Jesus.

The chanting is done to the gods and I think I'm expected to join in but I could chant with them but not mean it I suppose - or do as someone above suggested and just listen to the chants

It will certainly be an interesting experience anyway
By LittleRed
Star, I don`t think attending a different prayer service is worshipping a false god...It may make you feel a bit uncomfortable...I probably wouldn`t join in on the chanting part, but that is just me...I would hope these people who you are going with would understand and respect your faith and not push anything on you...but there are some religions that are that way...Let us know how it goes....Bless, Sharon
By starbright
I'll do that LittleRed
By MIR
I dont know anything about hindu yoga , but if you feel uneasy about it , i dont think you should go .I think its always good to ask yourself , what would our lady do any given situation .
MIR
By Guest
There is nothing called Hindu yoga.
A Hindu is following the religion of Hinduism just like a Christian following Christianity.
Yoga is a science leading to God for those who are prepared for it and sometimes linked to different religions.
Christianity is often referred to as the yoga of love (Bhakti), but I don’t think it should be limited to that.
And for those who like to hear, nearly all on this site are doing the yoga of the Rosary.
I am very ignorant and stupid about the rosary owing to no practice.
Please, don't you see, the Divine Mother's (Our Lady's) teachings are much more subtle than we sometimes think.
Please stick to the teachings that are working for you – meaning your practice.
MIR – that is wisely put – there is no need to feel uneasy.
Bless you all.
By starbright
Dear Guest,

Thankyou

I have to say, I only call it Hindu yoga because I don't know what the actual title is

She calls it yoga but when she lived in the temple in London she was chanting to the Hindu Gods and performing satsang and all the other Hindu things, including offering food to the gods and everything

So it is just me who calls it Hindu yoga because that is what it seems to be

So can you clarify, what is it called? And also, what do you mean about us doing the yoga of love? What does yoga mean, then?
By Pippy
Star, I went to our local Catholic store today and bought this book that may help clarify how we view Hinduism...I'll look over it tonight and then post the main ideas from it. I will give you the title and author of the book, right now it's in the trunk of my car and I'll retrive it later. Pippy :D
By starbright
That's a great idea Pippy. Thanks!

By the way, you two are called Sharon and Susan, like the two girls in that old film 'The Parent Trap'. Nice names.

I look forward to hearing more about Hinduism
By judy
Star,
I got back in town early this morn and have not had a chance to read through all the postings, but I will tell you this.
According to Father Mitch Pacwa, (he said it in the flesh to me on Saturday) he said we are not supposed to. It opens doors to other spirits.

I have practiced it before I became a stronger Catholic and did not think it was a problem. I tried classes again afterwards and I felt uncomfortable for several reasons.
The first was that I knew it was rooted in Eastern mysticism. No matter how much I tried to ignore their chanting, it was difficult.
The second problem for me was that in between stretching and rest times, the conversations were about other things that we are not supposed to practice, like reiki and going to pyschics.These were also things that I did not think were a big deal twenty years ago, but know better now.

Yes, I know we cannot isolate ourselves from others, but it is a matter of allowing ourselves to be open to other entities. That is where the danger is.Tread carefully, star, the evil one is always lurking, and sometimes it is in the name of tolerance.

God Bless
By Pippy
Yes!!! I agree with you so much, Judy!!! Star, I have been reading in that book I bought today and it is after 1am but I felt the need to tell you that I strongly advise against going with your friend to that service/meeting!!! You are still in the questioning stage of your faith...still learning and developing. This alone will make you extremely vulnerable to other influences and like Judy said, they are other entities(let's say it:evil spirits!!)....please, I cannot urge you enough to tell this friend that you are not interested!! Star, it would be a huge stepping stone on your path to Jesus by refusing to go and standing up for your faith....Jesus seems to be testing you, Star....you said you are shy about proclaiming your faith...please don't be...you can kindly tell your friend that it is not your cup of tea!! No more needs to be said. Please seriously think about this...it is not as innocent as your friend may make it out to be and your friend probably does not even know what it really is all about!! Listen to Judy...she has been there!! Pippy
By Pippy
Star, I can elaborate better tomorrow when I have time...my daughter wants to use the computer! Pippy
By Guest
Dear Starbright.
Yoga has many explanations and meanings but it is mostly translated as Union – Union with our Father in Heaven.
To make it simple, there are so many types of yoga and in that sense it is better understood as spiritual practice.
Your friend seems to be very familiar with the ways of the East.
My intention was only to make it clear that being a Hindu and doing Yoga is two different things.
I can see that Judy and Pippy is very much afraid that you should get involved in something wrong and they do this out of love for you. I cannot advice you in any way since my path has been totally different from theirs but I can only say what I would say to anyone else - follow your own conscience.

Judy and Pippy – I am very ignorant and my intention was not to make you upset in any way.
Nothing would make me happier than seeing that your own spiritual practice is working so well.

Bless you all.
By starbright
Gosh, I don't know what to do. I told her the other day that I would go but maybe now I should say that I won't. Thank you all for the care you are taking advising me.

If I decide to go at all (and that is doubtful now) I will only observe

Judy, can you say more? I'm interested and listening.

Pippy, I look forward to hearing more when you can , but don't put yourself out
By Pippy
Star, I can't type a whole lot now...but please trust me from what I have read and knowing that you are still in a vulnerable stage with your faith, I would recommend not going. Hinduism is NOT CHRIST CENTERED...they believe that all is god and that at the end of your enlightenment that you will be god too. This is just a brief explanation for now. I'm sure "Guest" could elaborate further and may say I have it slightly off...but the bottom line is, Star, Hinduism is not Christ centered...they do not believe He is Divine and apart of the Trinity. Keep that in mind. Like I mentioned, perhaps Jesus is pointing out that it is time to make a stand...pray about this matter...and remember, Star, YOUR DECISION SHOULD BRING PEACE IN YOUR HEART AND SOUL!! Don't forget that! Pippy
By starbright
Thank you Pippy for your concern and your information. I'll pray about it and think about it some more
By LittleRed
Star, You will know if it is a decision you should make if you have that peace in your heart like Pippy mentioned...Ask Our Lady if you should go(like asking your mother when you`re a kid if you can go play with the kids outside :D )...She`ll let you know if you should go or not!! Bless, Sharon
By child of Gospa
Why?

First, spiritual practices outside your Faith violates the First Commandment 'You shall worship the Lord Your God and Him Only shall You Serve'. - As my grandma is a Buddist, when I wasn't doing well in life, my mom and I (who are both Catholics) went with her to some spiritual person to help me. I felt bad later and confessed this to my parish's Father and He said I shouldn't have done that)

Second,Spiritualality is NOT a trial and error thing !!!

Third, among the major religions (Judaism, Buddism, Islam, Protestanism, Christianity and Hinduism), I find Hinduism weird since it does not focus on ONE God. (I've briefly studied World Religions in Grade 11 at my Catholic Secondary)

If I were you (I would also worry about upsetting my friend), so I would just accompany her to the door of the place and WAIT OUTSIDE or meet up with her later. (you'll sometimes feel whether something is right or wrong just by standing outside the place ... I believe God will prompt you then?)

And I agree with others to always carry Blessed Holy objects and hold Our Lady's hand tightly :)

God Bless!
By Guest
Dear Starbright.
Let me whisper something you might never hear again – Yoga is a very, very holy.
Fear creates separation.
Love always looks for unity.
Look for unity Starbright.
LittleRed – very wisely put.
Bless you.