Discuss various subjects, including Church topics and world events, through the lens of Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By starbright
Pippy! I'm online at the same time as you! This must be a first.

Why do you call yourself Pippy, if you don't mind me asking?
By Pippy
Hey Star...I just now saw this post!!! I'm doing fine...but will be leaving soon to go to the store(not a grocery store...though maybe the one I end up going to will have groceries on one side!!)...I was nicknamed Pippy while in Medjugorje!!! In 1993 Lil Red and I went together and that is when she was nicknamed Lil Red and I was then called Pippy!!
By Pippy
Now you have to fuss up why you call yourself Starbright???!!! Pips :D
By starbright
I just made it up. There's a Joni Mitchell song where the chorus goes 'star light, star bright' and I just liked it. I thought it sounded like I was female (which I am!) and kind of pretty. I actually made it up for a forum on the BBC website where you say what you think of the tv programmes, but I hardly ever went on there and then I forgot my password. THen I found this forum and just went with the same name.

I don't really have a nickname

Yours always makes me think of a character from a book I had when I was a child called Pippy Longstocking
By Pippy
Starbright is a pretty name for a user name! It's like light in a dark sky(that's what I think of!)...yes, the person who named me was thinking of Pippy Longstocking...as little girls, Lil Red and I, saw the movie with our oldest sister. I remember Pippy was an individualist who always rode her pet horse to school!! :D
By starbright
She certainly was an individualist. She lived alone as well and used a chest of gold coins for money.

I'm sorry, I keep writing about things that aren't Catholic or about Medj. I just love to chat!

I'll leave you alone now! :D
By LittleRed
Star, We love to just chat...and it`s okay because we are under the miscellaneous section so we can talk about whatever...That is how we get to know one another alittle more personal even if it is on the computer!! :D ...Bless, Sharon
By judy
when I was growing up, Pippy Longstocking was one of my favorite books :)
By Guest
Hey, Judy!!! Does that mean I'm one of your favorite forum people!!! :wink: Pips
By judy
without a doubt....there are no coincidences :D 8) :D
By Pippy
I feel the same way!!!! :D :D :D :D Pips
By cjmg
I remember going to Pippy longstocking movies when I was a kid. What I remember most is the AWFUL dubbing to English!! It cracked me up, even then!
Carla
By Pippy
I must have been an unobservant kid...I don't remember the "dubbing" of the movie!! :oops: Pippy
By LittleRed
I can remember watching that movie at the theater and thinking how neat it would be to be like Pippy Longstocking!! :D ...She lived alone and didn`t have to answer to anyone and could do whatever she wanted...Didn`t she have a pet monkey???...
By starbright
She did. I've got the book in my bookshelf (never saw a film though). it's by someone called Astrid Lindgren

"Pippy Longstocking is only one of the happy creations of Astrid Lindgren, who has written stories for all ages. In her own country, Sweden, she is looked upon as ranking amongst the finest contemporary writers of children's books"

Pippy could lift her horse over her head and carry him where she wanted him to go

I wish I'd seen the film

I'm just thinking about the dubbing issue

When I lived in France for a few months I learned that all the American and British films and tv programmes were dubbed rather than subtitled and that (according to the girls I was living with) it was always the same actors who dubbed everything so everything had a very samey feel

I remember seeing a couple of films and wrote home to my mum to tell her that I'd been to see "And through the middle of it runs a river" and "Darling I've enlarged the baby". They turned out to be "And a river runs through it" and "Honey I blew up the kid"!!! They slightly change the titles to fit the language of the country where they're going. I also saw one called "Hero despite himself" and I've never found out the real name of that one. It was about Dustin Hoffman saving people from a plane crash and Andy Garcia who pretended to be the saviour to get the glory. If anyone could tell me what it was called I'd love to know!

I've gone a bit off subject
By Pippy
Star...you're safe...it's the miscellaneous section, going off topic is allowed!! I never heard of that movie with Dustin Hoffman??? And as a Pippy, I can lift a feather over my head!!! :lol: :wink:
By starbright
Oh well maybe I'm destined never to know what that film was called!! What you said about lifting feathers made me :lol:
By Guest
That's the one! Just called Hero, was it? Thanks, Manny. I hope you didn't have to do loads of research to find that
By Manny
Not at all any trouble. That web-site is alot of fun whenever you're trying to track a title, person or even a credit for anything related to movies. Check out the categories on the left and look under "trivia" or "goofs"
It discloses little things about the movie that we never catch.
By starbright
Oh no I see it's called 'Accidental Hero'
Funny the things you remember. I was a student in France at the time (1992). I was really homesick! Glad to come back to England, I was. But the language thing was interesting and it was nice to see my French get better untiil I could see movies and catch most of what was going on