Discuss various subjects, including Church topics and world events, through the lens of Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By Gabe
Is there anyone out there just a little sad about today's ruling regarding the status of Pluto, our beloved rocky little friend? Aaaaaah! The whole reclassification thing is a bit upsetting to me~kind of. :wink:

I actually teach Earth Science as one of my subjects to 8th graders. There go the posters, the newly purchased text books, all the fun reports on our furthest planet. Hee! It's actually being referred to as a 'dwarf planet' by the International Astronomical Union today. I was watching ABC News this a.m. before heading off to my first day back to teaching, when this boomerang came flying into my living room. :!:

Check it out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060825/ap_ ... &printer=1

God, in His infinite wisdom and goodness, must be chuckling at this one. Oh, don't we just LOVE Pluto as our 9th planet? Do you remember memorizing the order of the planet with this mnemonic device?

Milky Way Galaxy order of planets (from first to last):

My (Mercury)
Very (Venus)
Educated (Earth)
Mother (Mars)
Just (Jupiter)
Served (Saturn)
Us (Uranus)
Nine (Neptune)
Pizza pies (Pluto)
By LittleRed
Gabe, You are funny :D ...My 9 yr old daughter just learned the order of the planets last year using that cute memorizing jingle...

Bless, Sharon
By Luka
The only reason Pluto is still a planet (up until yesterday that is), is because that is the only planet discovered by americans. International Astronomical Union is composed from scientist all over the world but americans are the most numerous and only because of that Pluto has managed to keep his status as a planet up untill today. Don't get me wrong, i'm also a little bit sad that Pluto is no longer a planet.

The problem is this: if Pluto is a planet then a whole bunch of other small object behind the Neptune like Ceres and Xena are also planets. There are who knows how many more objects of that size in our solar system and not to mention once that are still undiscovered. Eventualy we would end up with 30 planets in our solar system. The line has to be drawn somewhere and since all planets up to Neptune have a regular eliptic paths they now have a status of planet and Pluto's path is irregular and it intersects Neptuns path so no planet status for Pluto.
By Gabe
Okay, Littlered. That is just sad...maybe your daughter will write it off as the teacher 'not knowing what she/he's talking about'. :lol: kidding.

...and yes, I understand the reclassification, Luka, with all of the other celestial bodies falling under the same description as Pluto, but isn't it just a sad day in our public schools today? (you know I don't say that with any true seriousness~ well, maybe just a little.)
By Pippy
Pluto! Pluto! Where art thou, Pluto!?...oops! did I enter the wrong classroom again??? :wink: Gabe, I'm just having fun with you! :D (I'm an english major). But I think it is somewhat sad that the world keeps changing what we think as solid and unchangable. :( I think it goes to show us that there really is only one constant in the world: JESUS CHRIST! I have a old framed saying that goes: JESUS CHRIST THE SAME TODAY, YESTERDAY AND TOMORROW. :D Pips
By Gabe
:) Pippy, very funny! Are you a logophile, too? (lover of words?)

Isn't that the truth though...Jesus is our constant, our 'forever and ever', our source of life. Amen, Pippy. Thanks for that. By the way, on the first day back to school on Thursday I was asked by several students about Pluto (7th and 8th) grade...and how "They just can't do that!" (reclassify it)

Have a sunny day. I'm off to mass.

A Fool For Christ (today, tomorrow, and forever!) :P thanks for my afirmation today, Pips!

Ann
By Pippy
Ann...I think we have to be "Lovers of Words" because we work with children! They are SO colorful as little beings and it sometimes just brings out the creativity in us!! :D I can just picture them saying that to you about Pluto!! Ann, I hope there is a special message in the homily for you that touches your heart! (Wouldn't that be something if the father mentioned Pluto???! :shock: )...enjoy your day! Yes, we are FOOLS! Pips...and you made my day! :D