Discuss various subjects, including Church topics and world events, through the lens of Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

I realize that this question is probably difficult to answer since only God really knows but I would still like to hear what you have to say. Lately I have been thinking a lot about the effect of our prayers for people who don't believe in God. If we often pray for such a person (for example a family member), how are the chances that after death this person will spend eternity in heaven? After all, Our Lady at Fatima said that many souls go to hell because they have no one to pray for them.

I'm so worried about my family and often pray the rosary and Divine Mercy chaplet for them. (Btw, is it okay to dedicate the rosary for all my family members or is it better to pray one for each of them?).
By aoise
Pandora, I truly believe that all our prayers are heard and used by God. We may not see the fruits but that doesn't matter. We do our best and then hand over to the Holy Spirit, knowing that somewhere, somehow, in God's good time, all will be well. Don't forget, God wants us all to spend eternity with him so very much more than we even want it ourselves. That's why he has been sending His Blessed Mother to us for 28 years now. That alone is a reflection of His great love and patience !
When praying your Rosary you could offer it for all your family, but each time also naming one person in particular. And yes, its also good to pray for all those poor souls who have long been forgotten and who have no one to pray for them. One day, it may be us. And just to finish, Saint Padre Pio used to always say " pray, hope and don't worry ".
By OnASpiritualJourney2
I think our prayers for those who don't believe matter a lot. The Blessed Mother even appears once a month to Mirjana for the express purpose of praying for those who do not yet believe.

I'm also reminded of how Jacov was told by the Blessed Mother of how much good a single Hail Mary prayer can do. That's why I pray that when praying for others' prayer requests.

I think that we may never know in this life how much our prayers have helped. But I do believe strongly that they matter greatly. Keep praying for them. :D

I would think that you can include them in your rosary intentions either way.
By Mountain Horse
I don't think there IS such a thing as a "wasted prayer". God accepts ALL prayers, but what God does with each prayer is His business!

To paraphrase, "it's not the subject, it's the prayer that counts"! :wink:

Of course, just my opinion! :mrgreen:
By Pandora
Thanks for your answers so far. I know that trust is very important but then there is also the issue of the free will of every person. Maybe on accord of our prayers for it the soul receives extra graces but the decision to accept them lies still with them? So at that point we are unable to help? But I don't know, this is all just speculation on my part.

This question is driving me a bit crazy.

Would God take someone to heaven solely because of the prayers and sacrifices of another?
By aoise
Would God take someone to heaven solely because of the prayers and sacrifices of another?

Those prayers and sacrifices are turned by God into occaisions of His grace and mercy. I personally don't think anyone turns away from these gifts of Divine generosity.
By leo daly
I strongly believe that our prayers for the unbelievers work. That story about Jacov's one Hail Mary changing the Chinese man is an example. Whilst I haven't heard wether it is true, I am sure that any unbeliever who enters heaven due to our prayer will return the favour by interceding for us in a similar manner to the souls we retrieve from purgatory (if they die first). If we die first we'll surely still get reward.

Cheers
Leo.
By LittleRed
I too am a believer that our prayers do make a difference with those who do not believe or are nonpracticing.......

Someone very special to me recently told me that when reciting the Rosary, to "bind" any person(s) to Our Mother...that she will look after them......and I believe that :D ........
By pippy-sue
All prayer from the heart can move mountains.... :)
By Mt. Carmel
I will relate a story I heard from a fellow 3rd Order member.

An aquaintence of his, who was a notorious reprobate, had a 'near death' experience that turned his life around. He had technically died, and experienced in a hazy way that first 'self judgment' we all have after death. His honest assessment was that he was deserving of Hell, since he was still resistant to remorse and contrition, and the loving forgiveness of God - he still had his 'personal pride' and a 'hardened heart'. The next thing he experienced was going down some sort of tunnel, with people in great despair as they passed him and entered a chamber that he could feel was indeed terrible. He is adamant he actually entered it and felt a deep personal despair and turmoil. This experience was brief, because he then heard a calm and authoritative voice telling him that he was saved, only because of the prayer, pleadings, personal pain [due to her concern about her son's bad lifestyle], and great devotion of his good mother to His Sacred Heart.

The next thing he remembered was gaining conciousness in a recovery room, accompanied by a great sense of relief and gratitude, and an urgent sense of need to turn his life around.

In his case at least, it appears that another's prayers had saved him from Hell. The guy is a totally reformed character!

ps. On a personal note, I have a strong feeling/'insight' that my own father-in-law has been granted a long life in order that I may pray earnestly enough, and long enough, along with Masses and other devotional involvement; that he may avoid Hell or at the least the 'back end' of Purgatory. He has sinned very greatly in the past, and over a number of years, and done much harm to his family - he is aware of what he has done, but he seems frozen in denial - he cannot bring himself to make his mea culpas to those he has greatly harmed. I used to hate him for how he had/is affecting the emotional lives of my own family as a consequence, but now [thank God, I now see him for what he really is; a sad and fearful old man in great spiritual need].

Peace and Love.
By pippy-sue
Mt. Carmel, interesting to see your transformation concerning your father-in-law.....that is beautiful. :)
By bmarie
James 5:16 "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much"

I'm trusting that the unbeliever (agnostic) that I've been praying for daily this year is benefiting somehow. Not sure, but just believing that it's working. If this person doesn't "make it in" in the end, it's not going to be my fault!
By leo daly
BMarie, I'd just been looking at the following passage from Luke 18 before I came onto the forum. Sounds like it could be good to remember in your situation

2 'There was a judge in a certain town,' he said, 'who had neither fear of God nor respect for anyone.
3 In the same town there was also a widow who kept on coming to him and saying, "I want justice from you against my enemy!"
4 For a long time he refused, but at last he said to himself, "Even though I have neither fear of God nor respect for any human person,
5 I must give this widow her just rights since she keeps pestering me, or she will come and slap me in the face." '
6 And the Lord said, 'You notice what the unjust judge has to say?
7 Now, will not God see justice done to his elect if they keep calling to him day and night even though he still delays to help them?
8 I promise you, he will see justice done to them, and done speedily. But when the Son of man comes, will he find any faith on earth?'

Cheers
Leo.
By bmarie
:) . Yep, I've definitely been pestering God. I don't think He minds that much, though. ..