Post your stories of conversion here. The seer Ivan says that conversion is a lifelong process.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By Sirach1717
Praise be Jesus and Mary! I wanted to share with you my conversion story. I just got back from my second trip to Medjugorje and would like to share with you what happened to me 16 long years ago, after my first trip to Medjugorje. I believe that Medjugorje and our Blessed Mother have changed my life forever. Thanks for allowing me to share with you my witness.

How to begin? It all started about 16 years ago when I visited a small village in Bosnia. (it was then Yugoslavia) A place called Medjugorje. The very place where at the time I didn't realize, would be the beginning of a life change for me. My mother sent all of her 10 kids there. (not all at once) I went with my sister and her husband. My husband wanted nothing to do with it. He said to me "Mary, a miracle has already happened, you are only brining one suitcase" hee hee.

I was always a good catholic girl, but could have been better. For one, I didn't know how to say the rosary. I learned fast, because every time you turned around someone was suggesting we pray it. I wasn't too keen on the idea but never one to stir up the pot, I went along. At one point I said to myself "If I have to say one more Hail Mary......" you get the picture. LOL. You see I was 7 months pregnant at the time and quite a trooper I think. Climbing mountains. Hiking all over the village. Going to church every free second we had and freezing my butt off. I drew the line at fasting though, I rationalized I was pregnant and God would forgive me. (it was Nov early Dec. when I was there) Everyone decided to go to confession so I went along. How bad could it be. After waiting in line for 2 hours, it was finally my turn. The priest said to me. "No English" I said "that's OK" he still wouldn't hear my confession. so I figured I would go at another time. I had waited nearly 15 years already. Yikes! That evening a priest came to my room and said someone told him I wanted to go to confession. To this day I don't know who that priest was. Anyway, I ended up going to him (face to face) yikes! I was on a high after that and even stopped complaining about praying so much. hee hee.

We got home and things went back to normal, I knew I needed to get that wonderful feeling of prayer back again. So I decide to take Life in the Spirit. It was about a 2 month course. On one evening they had some guy from Ireland come and speak to us about his life and the life changing things that happened to him. It was very touching. So much so that I (please don't think I am crazy) heard Jesus speak to me. I know it sounds crazy. (try typing it out) lol. woops let me back up. They were taking up a collection for this guy. he travels all over the country, sharing his story. I had not a dime on me. So this is when I heard a voice, which I discerned to be Jesus, tell me to give him my signet ring. I was like. What?, ya right. and I ignored the voice, (Jesus?). Then I heard it again. Well, then I thought OK what if it is Jesus speaking to me. I don't know why this guy would want my ring but OK I'll be obedient. So I dropped it in the basket. Later I saw a couple of the people who put the talk together looking at it. I said nothing and forgot about it. It was a big thing for me to give up that ring. My parents had given it to me as a graduation gift. It was very pretty. (gold with my initials on it) Whenever I looked down and saw that ringless finger, I decided if I had regrets about it I would just think how much I love Jesus, and everything would be OK.

Well, a couple of months went by and things of course went back to normal. On one particularly hectic day. My kids were literally driving me crazy. They had been fighting all day, messing up the house. Etc. (I worked the second shift so when my husband got home he took over for me) on and on. At that point in ours lives my husband wasn't into going to church or doing anything of the sort with the kids. Ages 4, 2, and 1.

I had had it!!!!! So I went into my bedroom and (I think I slammed the door) knelt in front of the Crucifix and prayed to Jesus to please help me. To show me that I was being a good mother, good wife, and basically doing everything I could to be a good Christian. In Medjugorje, I remember a priest telling us to go home and dust off our bibles. (mine was dusty!! lol) I opened up the bible at random and looked down and this is the first thing that I read. Sirach 17:17 "A man's goodness God cherishes like a signet ring, a man's virtue, like the apple of his eye."

The book of Sirach has held a close place in my heart ever since. When my son was sick we needed to make a decision on whether to operate of not. So I again prayed about it and got a word in Sirach (not me going to Sirach either) just opened up the bible. I came to Sirach 38: 1-8. Basically telling me to trust in the physicians ability to help us. God gave him that gift.

And finally, when my father past away. (Oct 16, 2002 one of the Feasts of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.) after suffering with MS for 26 years. (He was only 65) The priest asked me to do the 1st reading. Yes, Sirach again. Sirach 3:2-7, 12-14 It was particularly hard to read because at one point it talks about "even if his mind should fail, be considerate with him" He didn't know me when he died. MS is a very cruel disease. It affects everyone differently. But my consolation is that I am sure my Dad is in Heaven with all the Angels and saints looking out for us. May God Bless you all (especially after reading my ramblings) Feel free to share this story with anyone you feel may need it.

Your Sister in Jesus and Mary,

Mary
By Sirach1717
To the Moderator's; Can you move this post to the conversion page? I didn't realize that I posted it on the discussion page. So sorry! Mary
By LittleRed
I loved your story Mary!! :D ...Thank you so much for sharing it with us!! And welcome to the forum...I hope you will share more with us!! Bless, Sharon
By Medjugorje Vin
Hi Mary, you sound like a good trooper to me.Your testimony was a joy to read,even if some of it may have been very painful to do.When you read peoples testimonies the "Holy Spirit" instinctively tells you if what you're reading has a good heart behind it.......your's was a great big heart!!!!!!!

Praised be Jesus and Mary

Medjugorje Vin
By judy
Welcome, Mary,
Thank you for such a beautiful witness, of the love of our Lord !
God Bless
By Marlyn
Dear Mary, welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing this story of yours it really impressed me as soon as i read it i knew Jesus who you love so much was the one to lead you on the right path so God bless you and Peace be with you Marlyn :)
By marie bernarde
Welcome to the forum!

I'll add my thanks to everyone else's for your testimony; you were very generous to give away your precious signet ring...and the part about your father (and the book of Sirach) was very moving.

God bless you for sharing such a wonderful testimony...
By Spera
Sirach1717 - I really enjoyed reading that because I could see and feel Jesus' love for you.
By Pippy
Mary...talk about powerful! I thank you so much for sharing your story. It just shows how God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and Our Mother are there for you...and for all of us! Pippy
By cjmg
Mary:
I loved your story. Little miracles, right? They light your way. I think it's very comforting.
Thanks for sharing......................Carla
By Curious
Hello Mary,

Do you know the name of the Irish guy you gave the ring to?

Curious :shock:
By Sirach1717
Hi Curious,

Sorry, it was such a long time ago, I can't remember his name. I remember his witness, like it was yesterday. It really touched my heart. I often wonder how he is doing in his journey. I think God has great plans for him.

Mary
By Curious
Hi Mary
Could you give me the outline of the witness the Irish guy gave? I am curious :D Because I was just inquiring about an Irish guy called Brendan Walsh who evangelized in America, Australia and around the world.

The miracles attached to his ministry were amazing, according to my friends and his teaching on the Catholic Faith was extraordinary. I asked in the Miscelanious section if anybody could direct me to his tapes. he also wrote a book called "Gently Flows The Dawn" that outlines his testimony but I have not been able to get a copy.

Thank You

Curious
By Sirach1717
Hi again,

He was a young guy about, oh say 20ish at the time?? (12 years ago??) I am really not sure how old he was, just guessing. His mother died and he was left alone to practically raise himself. I think I remember him saying that his father was abusive and neglectful of him, to the point of him having to find a places to sleep on some nights. One cold evening, he went into a church (to get warm) and I something happened to him as he was sitting there listening to the priest. Jesus touched him in a very profound way. He actually was going to leave and he physically couldn't because he felt invisible hands on his shoulders. ?? From that moment on his life would change. There is much more to his witness, but I don't want to get it wrong. Wouldn't that be something if this guy you are talking about is him?? If you find out about that book, I would like to read it too. Keep in touch.

Blessings,

Mary
By Curious
Yes Mary,

We are talking about the same man Brendan Walsh. He was at a prayer meeting and feeling very upset he decided to leave. When he stood up he felt two hands on his shoulders, the panic left him and he settled down to listen to the Gospel. It was on Penticost sunday 1980.

He later stepped outside the hall saw a priest behind a makeshift confessional and heard a voice saying to him. "Go There" he then heard another voice saying "don't go there, that priest will ridicule you but before he could make up his mind he was kneeling at the kneeler.

He said to the Priest " Blesss me father for I have sinned, it's been all my life since my last confession father" he expected the priest to shout at him but after a long silence heard the gentle word that he said were like the words of Jesus saying "Welcome back"

Brendan was completely cured that day from GrandMall Epilepsy and brain damage. He spent the next twelve years learning about God. God sent him out and he travelled the world teaching and preaching the Gospel. Thousands of people have been cured and converted including jewish people. Hundreds of Miracles have been reported (eyes, Cancer, Tumors) he loved John Paul11 and the Church.

I believe his book "Gently Flows The Dawn" can be got from Ignatus Press USA.

Was your signet ring ever sent back to you Mary?

I really feel we need to pray for Brendan Walsh.

Curious
Last edited by Curious on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sirach1717
Dear Curious,

Oh my gosh!! that is him!!!! I can't believe it!! His story touched me so profoundly, I can't even put it into words. I never saw the ring again, and that is ok. I often wondered whatever happened to it. At the time this happened to me, I thought what in the world would they do with my ring? I thought, maybe they could melt it down? I just didn't know why they would even want a ring instead of money. But God is my witness, I heard a voice say to give him my ring. I still often think of him and wonder how he is doing. I also do pray for him when I think of him. Glad to know his name now! When I heard his witness, I didn't know it at the time of what would occur only a few months later. (Sirach1717) He visisted our church, St. Thecla's in Pembroke, MA. USA It is a time I will never forget. Thank you so much for letting me know about him! I will try like heck to find a copy of that book. God Bless you Curious! I think God had a hand in putting us together. I believe it is a "Christ incidence"

Mir, Mir, Mir,

Mary
By judy
Curious and Mary,
How wonderful that you were able to complete the circle of this story for each other...what a blessing from God!
By Sirach1717
Curious,

My girlfriend (computer savey one that is!) found the book for us. Email me at Sirach1717@aol.com and give me your snail mail address. I bought one for you too. :wink:

Judy, Isn't God good!!

I just read from the beginning and wanted to thank all of you for your very kind words. It is so funny, because when I was in Medjugorje I wished that I could find out the name of the person who helped me in my walk towards Jesus. Brendan Walsh, wherever you are, you are my Angel!

Blessings,

Mary
By judy
Amen
By Curious
Hi Mary,

I am so delighted that you found a copy of Brendan's book. Its kind of you to want to send me a copy but I have already a copy somewhere. I was more interested this time in finding Brendan's teaching tapes.

Perhaps you could send a copy to Pippy who is on this site? I am sure that this is more than a coincidence God providence does play a part in everything.

I'm sure that Brendan Walsh would have been very proud of your progress in the Lord. The last time I heard of him ministering was in Fatima Portugal around 2000 and again in 2002. Everybody was amazed because Sr. Lucy asked about Brendan.

I know he has suffered a great deal since 1998. His wife divorced him and is with another man and subsequently they received an anullment from the Catholic Church.

I think this event truly crushed Brendan and as a consequence he left his ministry and became somewhat of a recluse.

Brendan also ministered in the past in Medjugorge and was present with the visionaries in the Choir loft. His gifts were so powerful and the Church used him with appointed priest's to be present during Excorcism.

He probably feels quite forgotten and we really need to pray. A friend of mine said they saw him at Pope John Paul II funeral.

Thank you for sharing your conversion story Mary. I am really thankful to God for your life. let us keep each other in prayer and most especially let us pray for Brendan Walsh.

In Christ

Curious :)
By Pippy
Well, now Curious...how did you know I was curious about this man Brendan???? I never mentioned a peep about it. I am quite surprised! Thank you for suggesting this to Mary. But I could always find a copy somewhere...dig around. I don't want to inconvience anyone. I am going to pray for this man. I feel very bad by what you have just shared with us!!! Pippy
By Sirach1717
Hi Pippy,

I would be happy to send you a copy. The other one most have been meant for you! Please email me your address and I will stick it in the mail. Let us keep praying for Brendan.

Blessings,

Mary
By Curious
Hi Pippy,

I didn't know if you were curious or not about Brendan. It was simply that you were the last person to communicate with me and your name came to mind as I was replying to Mary.

Thank you for praying for Brendan. A lot of the time God puts people like Brendan in the front line. While they are there, the people of God get the benefit of their selfless giving of themselves in God's service. People like Mary are a testimony to that.

But the front line is a dangerous place and the enemy can deal very cruel blows that wound. Brendan, if anything, is a wounded warrior. We need to recognise as a community of God that wounded doen't mean bad and we need to nurture by prayer those who have been brave enough to follow God's call, in whatever walk of life He calls them to.

We are in fact a wounded Church, in constant need of God's healing and forgiveness. The sacraments are a testimony to this reality. In relation to the evil one, he hardly bares mentioning. Brendan Walsh rarely did. Once when he was asked if he believed in the devil, he said, "No, I believe in God but I believe the devil exists". Brendan's ministry was validated by the Church and he was tireless in his mission. I happen to know the reason why his wife divorced him. The bishop did also and it was a purely clinical situation.

This is why he was devastated because he never once imagined that trial would come from this sourse.

Blessings

Curious
By cjmg
Reading this thread puts me in awe of how God works. Soooo many people don't believe God can work in their lives...but just look how this thread is turning out!!

It's just very, very cool!