Post your stories of conversion here. The seer Ivan says that conversion is a lifelong process.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By dicombs
Hello, let me tell you about my conversion. It took years to happen actually. I was born into a Catholic family. My family was devout and we went to Mass every Sunday. When I was a small child my family used to kneel down and pray together, but that stopped after I turned about 7. I think my family would go back and change that if they could as now they all say the rosary together as a family. (I come from Australia but married an American and have lived in the U.S for the past 27 years.) Anyway.. when I turned 18 I met a non-denominational missionary who was full of fire and zeal. He was very spiritual and had mystical experiences. I was very impressionable at the time and I was searching for a deeper relationship with God. My Catholic faith seemed dry (God forgive me) and lifeless at the time. How wrong I was! So I became a "born again Christian," and it liturally changed my life! I was on fire for God and witnessing to everyone I could. My father was not very happy about it and at the time I thought it was terrible that he wasn't happy for me. My mother was happy that I had found God and saw that it was changing me for the better. I met and married a man from America who I thought shared my faith and zeal. It turned out that he was a very weak Christian and we didn't really have much in common at all. It was the beginning of many years of suffering. My husband would be on and off again, when it came to spiritual things. I tried to be the good Christian wife and because I didn't believe in divorce, just decided that I had made my bed and must now lie on it. We had three children and I tried to bring them to Jesus. It was hard when their Dad wouldn't come to church with us. One year, about 1989, I made a trip to Australia to visit my family. They were all talking about the events in Medjugorje. My brother, (who is now a priest) gave me a pamplet to read that had Our Lady's messages. I read them and I couldn't find anything wrong with them. The years in the non-Catholic evangelical movement had convinced me that devotions to Mary was wrong. I had a very hard time with talking with my family about apparitions. It just went against my beliefs. I just didn't know what to do about them.

Years went by and I went back to Australia. I think it was 1993. My family was on fire about Medjugorje as they had been there this time. They just couldn't contain their excitement and I found myself being subjected to all the stories, tapes and videos. At one point while we were discussing this, I was about to tell them that this could be a demon.. but I couldn't get the word out of my mouth. I felt, at the time I thought it was God speaking to me, but now, I am not sure what it was, I just felt that I was being told that this was of God!!! My family was getting ready for me to say the word that they knew I was going to say and then they were surprised when I stopped and said, I feel like God is telling me this is of Him. I believe it! Now please let me have some time to chew on this because this is going to be hard for me because if this is truly of God, then my Catholic faith that I abandoned is afterall the true faith! My family was gobsmacked! Anyway.. after that I devoured everything I could about Medjugorje and told my family that I didn't know what to do about it when I got to America. When I got back I tried to find a Catholic church to secretly attend. I didn't want to cause a big disruption in my family. I got caught and it all came out. My husband was very upset and told me that I couldn't talk to the children about Catholic teachings. I did, though, and I think I was wrong to, but I wanted them to know the truth so at the time I thought it was the right thing. I think it confused them. My marriaged suffered terribly. My husband argued with me all the time about the Catholic Church's teachings on Mary, Saints, the pope... oh everything that protestants complain about all the time. It was a hard time, but a blessed time. I started attending Mass on my own. I told my husband I would go to his church too.. he was attending church again at this time. I did for a while but he really got discouraged with my being Catholic that he stopped going to church. I felt bad about that. I desired Eucharist so much but I couldn't recieve because I wasn't married in the church. My husband said there was no way he was going to get the church's blessing, so for a long time I suffered because I couldn't recieve. One day I told my husband that if he loved me he would do this for me as it was so important to me. Well.. he gave in and we had our marriage convalidated. I was able to recieve again. What a joy. My children became Catholics later, but my husband was very angry with me about that because he felt I had gone against him. I had... and I am not sure that I did the right thing as I said. I think back now, and perhaps if I had trusted God, maybe things would have turned out better. Instead I kept trying to take matters into my own hands, I think. Anyway... thank God for his patience and mercy and he must have had to use it all on me during those years. I am trying hard to learn from all my mistakes and listening and learning more. My husband has mellowed over the years. He has stopped bashing the church and even goes to Mass with me when he can. He is very proud of my brother, the priest and he believes, through some personal study, that the Eucharist is the true Body and Blood of Christ. He doesn't desire it enough to become Catholic as he still has some problems with the Church. My children have stopped practicing their faith which is a wound in my heart. I pray everyday for their conversion and that our whole family will someday soon be united and converted and filled with love, faith and devotion. My conversion story is a mixed bag really. I so love my Catholic faith. It is a treasure upon treasure and I have discovered that is is so alive and forever fresh. It is as glorious and wonderful! It was never the church that was dry and lifeless.. Why didn't I see that then. I was searching in the wrong places when I had everything I needed right under my nose. Someday I will understand why I had to take that journey. I got to go to Medjugorje a few years ago. That is another story. Quite the adventure actually. Please excuse the messy way I told this conversion story. :)

God bless you all.. Diane
By LittleRed
Hi Diane, Thank you for sharing your touching story with us :D ...

We all have gone through our own difficult and sometimes painful journey when it comes to our faith...Like you, I turned my back against the Catholic Church....and it was through Medjugorje that I found it again :D .....

I will keep your husband and children in my prayers....may they come to share in your joy of our faith....be patient Diane, one day they will....

Bless, Sharon
By starbright
Sharon, if this is too personal a question don't answer it, but is your husband ok with you being Catholic?
By dicombs
Thanks so much Red for your prayers. I so need them. :)

Sharon, in answer to your question. In the beginning my husband was against my being Catholic... and he still feels angry that I taught the kids the faith against his wishes because every now and then he brings that up. As for now.. I am not sure. I think he is ok with it now. He even goes to Mass with me if he is not working. Poor thing. He is such a lost sheep. I love him dearly and it hurts to see him so indifferent to the things of God. He blames me for it, I'm sure, because I differed with him on many of his beliefs. Even in the beginning of our marriage when I wasn't a Catholic, I couldn't except the, "once saved, always saved," tennet of the Baptist church. (my husband was a baptist and I was non-denominational when we first married, but at the time I didn't see much difference in our belief until a few months into the marriage.) I also being a Spirit Filled Christian, believed in the Gifts of the Spirit, tongues and healings, resting in the Spirit, words of knowledge, and that sort of thing. My husband believed it all died out with the apostles. So we were not united from the beginning. I guess that caused my husband to throw in the towel on his own growth and spirituality. Perhaps I should have shut my mouth about my beliefs and let him think I agreed. I was very young and unfortunately lacking in wisdom. It is a hard burdon to bare that I am the cause of another Christian to stumble and fall and never really get up. All I can do is pray hard for him. Please Lord open His eyes.. Give him a Saul experience! I will have to do much penance, I think.
By starbright
Lord, please help these two people. Help hiim to find You in the true Church, and help her with her feelings of remorse. I'm sure she doesn't need to beat herself up so much. Amen,.
By dicombs
Thanks Starbright and Red for your words of encouragement. I believe God will do a miracle. I just need to stand out of His way and let him do it. I have devoted myself to much prayer and I make little sacrifices. That is what I believe I am called to do now. Just pray, pray, pray and love, love, love. Please God help me do this more and more each day. Teach me and give me the Grace to be humble and loving and devoted to prayer. Thank you Jesus for your continued Grace and Mercy. I do believe that although I do beat myself up, I have time to make reparations for my foolishness through love. I don't think that there is anything that Love can't fix. I also know that I am nothing without God and I can even offer my failures to him. My suffering over them can be useful. I know God loves me and forgives me and I take comfort in this but I will feel a lot better when my love and prayers begin to bear fruit in my family.

God bless you all.. Diane
By LittleRed
Diane, One day your family will see the truth....until that day, you show by example, through your actions and your words....Somewhere you planted a seed within their souls and one day it will sprout and will bear the good fruit you have been so longing....Hang in there Di :D

Star, It is okay to ask the question in regards to my husband...He is very much a Catholic :D ...He goes to church every Sunday, he teaches Confirmation classes....He is one busy guy for our church....And he is also putting together a remote control race car game for the kids for our upcoming chilifest which our parish has every February....

In fact, we met during a Lental Mission at our church....It was love at first sight for me :D ....it took him alittle longer :wink: .....But he is not into Medjugorje which is his choice...It does not bother him at all that I am a believer of Medjugorje....

Bless, Sharon
By dicombs
Oh... I am embarrassed... :oops: I went back up to look at Starbright's post and I guess I read it wrong and thought the husband question was for me. Oh well... you got an earful didn't you.. :)
By starbright
I'm happy to hear about both of your husbands - and anybody else's husband they want me to hear about!! :lol:
By dicombs
hehe I believe there are no accidents.. perhaps I was supposed to share all that. Praise Jesus for His kindness. Thanks Star for being such a caring person.
By Pippy
You lovely ladies are so cute!

And if you guys want the whole scoop about Lil Red and attending that Lental Mission where she first met her husband....

I had to practically twist her arm to get her to go with me that night!

Pips :mrgreen:
By starbright
I bet she and you are soo glad she did.

That's what I'm going to do, go to the lenten ecumenical groups in my parish :) I might meet a man - I know this shouldn't be the reason I go to Church events - I was thinking about going anyway
By Pippy
Star, your Mr. Right could show up at any time...yes, go there...as someone told me, "Get out there and make yourself noticed." :D And it is at a place you will enjoy being. Good blessing in that.

Pips :D
By Moll
Bless you Dianne for sharing your story. What a hard struggle you had, but thank God you got there in the end :D I will pray for your family Dianne

Star & Pippy, you too crack me up!! :) You are always at it :D :D Isnt it great to be able to read postings that make you smile and feel good. God bless everyone here on this forum who give us support and friendship.