Tell us about prayers you've had answered.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, marylover, Management

By Pandora
Next week I'm on vacation visiting my sister and her family. Because we probably will be away both days and my sister and her husband are very anti-Catholic I won't be able to go to Mass next weekend. I explained the situation to a priest and he agreed that it would be better to keep the family peace and dispensed me from the obligation to attend Mass. Even though, I still felt guilty and also didn't like missing Mass because I'm doing so bad right now and don't want to be without the Eucharist. So this evening at Mass I told God about my feelings and asked Him to sustain me doubly with this Eucharist. When I came up to receive the Eucharist the eucharistic minister, without realizing it, gave me two hosts. I didnt see it until he had already moved on to the next person. My first thought was to tell him but then it hit me that this is God's very literal and prompt answer/granting to my prayer. Wow! I was so happy. He let me know that it is okay, I don't need to feel guilty and He will sustain me. :D
Oh wow Pandora...i loved reading that & I'm so happy for you. I often wondered too about the eucharist and wondered how often in a day one could go to a eucharistic celebration-If there were rules as to this?
Anyways It just shows how much God is near to you & listening & knows what in your heart.
Thats so great!!! Best wishes with your visit to your relatives. Hope its very peaceful & a good experience for you! :D
You know, I just finished reading "Story of a Soul", about St. Therese of Lisieux, and I'm almost certain that it described something just like you experienced. I think I read that she once received two hosts, a mistake that went unnoticed by the priest, and it had a special meaning for her, too. I just returned the library book, though, so I can't confirm that, but I'm fairly certain that's what I had read. :)
That's a wonderful story! My mother-in-law tells me that going to Mass multiple times and receiving the Eucharist multiple times is perfectly OK to do - we do this sometimes on Saturdays. :)
That's thoughtful and good of you to keep the peace. I sometimes struggle with this since I'm a recent convert and have many friends and family that oppose and misunderstand Catholicism. As Our Lady says, through prayer, fasting, and our example of peace we will convert those around us.
Pandora, your story especially touched my heart. Two years ago, my cousin (who had just discovered, and been to Medj. 3 times that year ) was dying of cancer. Teresa devoutly attended Mass every day, but was so sick at this point, she could no longer go to Mass or receive Communion. I told her that I would receive for her every day while she couldn't receive. I approached the Altar and opened my mouth to receive and was shocked to find that there were two hosts in my mouth! Although I was receiving for Teresa, Jesus was so good to me that He also allowed me to receive. In my 55 years of life I have never received two hosts at Communion, so I know it was a very special gift.
Pandora - Funny you should mention your 'double host' - shortly after I read your post I too was in receipt of a 'double hosting' at our local 9am Mass.

It is the first time to my knowledge that it has happened to me - I am 64, and my first Holy Communion was when I was 6. Hmmn, many are the ways of the Lord.

Peace and Love.
Ok..i'll just share that once i recieved a 'triangluar' shaped host. It must have been apart of the larger host that was broken.
I wonder what it could mean???? :) It was 'different' anyways.
It happened when i was in a cathedral that held a special significance to me as both my parents were baptised here and married here-although they didn't meet each other until they both worked in England and were from different counties in ireland. I don't know has this ever happened to anyone else?
Maybe i'm just trying to read too much into it-i don't know! :wink:
I almost always receive a part of the large host the priest holds up during consecration. Only very seldom do I receive the small normal round one. It started at my 1st communion and from then on, even at other churches, I usually receive the big one. Maybe that first time a trend was set. :mrgreen:
Thanks for your many answers. The double receiving really touched me and God really knew what he was doing because when I came home from my sister's, I became sick (still are) and so far it was impossible for me to get to Mass. I'm really looking forward to the next!

Wow, timberhollow, what a touching story!
Seems to me that you all received the "as we name it": "blanc host" to avoid giving our Lord in double we us here hosts that are about three times thicker than the blanc host.That's more clearly for ministers who needs glasses :wink:
http://users.telenet.be/pascali_Gent/hosties.html
Maryh wrote:Ok..i'll just share that once i recieved a 'triangluar' shaped host. It must have been apart of the larger host that was broken.
I wonder what it could mean???? :) It was 'different' anyways.
It happened when i was in a cathedral that held a special significance to me as both my parents were baptised here and married here-although they didn't meet each other until they both worked in England and were from different counties in ireland. I don't know has this ever happened to anyone else?
Maybe i'm just trying to read too much into it-i don't know! :wink:
Yes, I often get a broken part of a large host - a little bit or a large bit, it is all one and the whole.

gezagvoerder - Yes, at our cathedral we get 'very pale brown thicker hosts' they have a slightly 'toasted' taste.

Peace and Love. :)
I am a coeliac (gluten intolerant) and I will receive the eucharist at every mass without any health problem. It truly is Jesus that we receive...nothing less!! :D :D I love Him so much...and it's the most beautiful part of my day when we share this intimate union :D absolutely amazing. Nothing better in life...at all.
PANDORA, what a wonderful religious experience you had. Though I may not agree with "skipping" Mass to "please" family relatives, deep down God knew that your intentions were not those. Always we must put God before men. Next time, your relatives may be more "flexible" with your religious belief. May God continue blessing you and strengthening your FAith in HIM, Jesus Christ, and the HOly spirit.
tomflo, believe me, at this point it is still better to miss Mass when I'm with them (only twice a year). Because of some history in our family I have to be very careful regarding all matters of faith and this strategy, coupled with lots of prayers, has worked wonders especially with my father. Or else they would be pushed even further away from faith. I have a standing dispensation from a priest (again, only twice year) and through the little miracle God has given me with the two hosts, I know now that it is okay and I won't feel guilty. I don't like to miss Mass (it's the highlight of my week) but I really believe choosing to skip Mass in this case is the lesser evil.
Hi there Pandora :D
I confessed to a priest once about not making it to mass when i should have done...although i had tried my best. He said that i could make it up...or fulfill this obligation by making a point of trying to go during the week days. Its just another option to consider.
I think really wanting to go shows that your heart is in the right place anyways & probably means more than just going because you feel you 'should'.
I also heard too that by reading the bible-its almost like another way of being really close to God & also there's a prayer to say where you ask Jesus to be with you..I'm sure Anthecap has posted it on here at some stage. I just don't know the title of it. I think its some 'eucharistic prayer'.
If i find it i'll be sure to post it up here! :wink:
Thanks, Maryh! When I went to my sister's I printed the day's readings out before and read them that Sunday and I also made a Blessed Sacrament Chaplet and prayed it. It includes an act of spiritual communion. Plus, during the week I made a few visits to the Blessed Sacrament. I really don't like to miss Mass but at this point it is still better for my family.