Tell us about your pilgrimage to Medjugorje and share the experiences that made it special.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By Steve10703
Hi everyone, I wanted to find a place where I could share my experience in Medjugorje. I live in the New York City area and both my parents were born and raised in Croatia and came to the USA in the 1960's. After Croatia got its independence, my father's dream was to build a house in his home town of Imotski where he and my mom would retire to one day. In the 2000's he built that house...the house is near the Croatian border with Hercegovina and only 60 km away from Medjugorje. Anyway, I took a vacation to Croatia from June 14th through July 7th and as I left NY, my dad gave me the keys to the house so I can stay there...while in Imotski I planned a trip to Medjugorje since it is so close to my dads house that it would be a sin not to go. I drove in from Zagreb on June 16th but, the first few days were busy as my cousin was getting married and there were a lot of festivities in the days leading up to the wedding which was on June 18th, so, the next day, I was relaxing and planning out my next few days and I told myself that I would either go on Tuesday (June 21) or Wednesday (June 22). Monday came and I said to myself "I'm going on Wednesday" but, something interesting happened as I went to sleep that Monday night, I was tossing and turning all night long and as morning came, it was as if an inner voice was telling me, "Go to Medjugorje today," and that's what I did. I got up, ate breakfast and later in the morning I went to my aunt and uncles house for a small lunch and told them that I would be back in the evening as I was going to go to Medjugorje and so I went.

When I got to Medjugorje, I found parking about 500 or 600 meters from the entrance to apparition hill near one of the new developments they were building there. As I got out the car I started making the walk towards Apparition Hill and seeing people from all over the world, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and even Japan it made me smile because these people were all there for the same reason and it was wonderful to see. So, as I climbed the rocky hill side, I passed and Irish family and then there was a older Croatian woman who was going up and I asked her if she needed any help, she said she didn't but, I was with her for about half the climb up when she thanked me for my help but, told me to go as she was stopping to pray for a while..I asked if she was sure and that I could wait but, she told me that it was fine..and then she told me, "Neka te dragi Bog blagosovi" which means, "May dear God Bless you.." so, I got to Apparition Hill and there was the statue of Mary in front of me and the brown wooden Cross with Jesus in the background...that day was a hot day, around 35C, and I just happened to find a spot to sit right behind the Cross where there was some shade..I sat down, meditated, and prayed...after I prayed, I took out a sheet of paper that I had in my pocket, tore the paper into 4 pieces, took out a pen and started writing prayer petitions on each piece of paper. I wrote a petition for both my parents, on the other paper I wrote a petition for my relatives, on the third piece of paper I wrote a petition for my good friends, and finally on the 4th piece of paper I wrote a petition for myself. When I was done writing I meditated on what I wrote for a while, then sat there observing everyone that was there at the time and seeing how devoted everyone was. Then it was time to leave, I got up, knelt by the Cross, said a prayer thanking Jesus, got up and kissed his feet then I went to the statue of Mother Mary. There was no room in the front so I went to Her side, placed the petition at the base of the statue and knelt in prayer. After I said my prayers, I got up and made the walk down Apparition Hill...I got to my car and as I was leaving parked near the Church and went inside to say one last prayer before I left Medjugorje.

So, I left Medjugorje feeling at peace but, little did I know the surprise that awaited me when I got back to my dads house in Imotski. After I crossed the border back into Croatia, I stopped by this small restaurant to dinner...when I got home, I desided to take a shower and when I got out of the shower, I noticed something interesting...at first glance it was a red mark (like a sunburn in the center of my chest, about 2 inches high and 1 inch wide) and I thought that was odd because I had a shirt on the entire time I was there...then I looked again, and the red mark looked like an angel praying, it wasn't perfect, but you can make out the wings, a bowed head, and what looked like clasped hands in prayer...now, here is the interesting part in all of this, when I prayed by Mary's statue it was to the side, with the back of the statue being on my right side and the front of the statue on my left side..the red mark that was on my chest, the angels wings (the back) were on my right side and the head and the clasped hands were on my left side..when I saw this, I was taken aback and the first thing I did was call my mom on the phone in NY...she told me that I should kneel down and say a prayer thanking Mother Mary because my mom felt that was a sign that Mary heard my prayers and will one day answer my petitions...as I mentioned it looked like a sunburn but, I had my shirt on also, unlike a sunburn or a rash, it didn't burn or itch at all...the interesting part was that it slowly faded away within 48 hours of my visit.

Something like this has never happened to me and I pray every day..but, being a human, you sometimes have doubts that your prayers will never get answered and I started having doubts myself and was feeling a little down. My guess is that Mary sensed this and gave me this sign that the Lord has been hearing my prayers all this time and I shouldn't worry, that they will be answered, it may not happen right away, but it eventually will happen.

So, that's my Medjugorje story...
By MRSTOL
Dear Steve,

Wonderful story. the woman on the hill might have been the Blessed Mother. She often appears to people in that way. You were very blessed and fortunate to go to Medjugorje even for one day.

Love in Christ
MRSTOL
By Steve10703
Thank you MIRSTOL, you never know. The woman on the hill was in her mid-60's (or so she looked, didn't ask..lol) and she was there with her sister. The short time we spoke she said she was from Livno which is a town in BiH..she mentioned that she came there to pray for her son and his family. The interesting part in all of this was that the son was her only child, just like I am an only child as well. I found it interesting because of all the people you run into, this one person only had one child (a male) just like my parents. I don't know if that was the Blessed Mother, but, I think sometimes the Lord puts people in places at a certain time to see how you would react to them and I think this could have been the case.

I know people experience different things while there..such as seeing the sun dance around in the sky or having their rosaries change to gold, others have been healed, and others found God and at the same time there were others who nothing happened to but, they all come back with a sense of inner peace which I think is what Medjugorje is all about. For me, I was there 3 times in total and in terms of a sign, this was the first time I ever received a sign like I did. My feeling is that there are times when you are feeling as low as you can be, that no matter how much you pray you think that no one is listening to you, not even the Lord, and I think our Mother senses this in all of us and she gives us all little signs that the Lord listens to all our prayers and that we shouldn't worry.
By MRSTOL
Dear Steve,

My husband (who is not a catholic) has been to Medjugorje with me twice. He experiences an inner peace each time he goes. I have never felt that peace and have been five times. I have gone each time to pray for my only son David to be healed and a for a miracle on July 29th this coming Friday. I too feel alone and that the Lord is not listening to my plea. I also feel like the Blessed Mother hears me but that God say no. We hope to go again in October to visit the Blessed Mother if all goes well next Friday. I hope to be more attentive to my surrounding this next time. My husband has gone thru a tremendous conversionsince going. That is a miracle in itself. He loves the Blessed Mother now. He prays and talks to her every night while alone in his garden.

Love in Christ
MRSTOL
By Steve10703
MIRSTOL, I send petitions every night before I go to sleep to Medjugorje. I send them through (linking to this site is not allowed) and also Medjugorje.org. I will send a petition for your son David for a miracle to happen. I know exactly what you are feeling because many a time I feel that no one is listening to my prayers. Just like you, I pray and it seems like the Blessed Mother says yes, but the Lord says no...and I don't know what to make of it but, when I got that mark, I realized that the prayers are being listened to. One time I asked a priest about this when I was younger and he simply told me that the Lord has to listen to so many prayers that we just have to wait in line for Him to get to our prayers. Its a bit simplistic but, I think there's some truth to this.

I think your husbands conversion is a sign for you that even someone who may not be a Catholic but is a Christian can be converted...and I think you just have to build off of that. As you said, pay closer attention to your surrounding when you are there...just absorb everything...when I'm on Apparition Hill, I try and soak up everything..from the people around me, to the feeling of what is there (Our Blessed Mother), and then the fields and the hills of Medjugorje that you can view from up on the Hill and that's when you realize what a gift our Lord has given us. I'll be honest with you, I'm not the best church goer in the world but I try to be a good person every day and believe in our Lord and what He has to say..and I think the Lord sees this and he sees it all people.

I'm sure you've seen him, but every Sunday morning there's this televangalist on TV, I believe his name is Fredrick K. Price. Anyway, I'm 42, and I can remember him on TV from when I was a kid. I don't watch his program but, I always try to make it a point to catch the very end of his program. Why? Because he always ends it with the same exact quote from Scripture and its these simple words.."For we walk by faith and not by sight." When I hear those words I always think of Medjugorje. Hope that helps.
By MRSTOL
Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for thinking of us in your petition. It was very kind. I will also put you on my prayer list. O will let you know if my miracle happens next Friday that God finally say yes.

Love in Christ
MRSTOL