Tell us about your pilgrimage to Medjugorje and share the experiences that made it special.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By puddyhuston
This was Christmas 2006 written for my parish magazine early in 2007

I have just spent the most wonderful, joyful, prayerful Holy Christmas I have ever experienced in a little village called Medjugorje in Bosnia Herzegovina where Our Blessed Lady is appearing every day to visionaries and has done so for over 25 years and on Christmas day She appeared with Baby Jesus in her arms to Jacov who only sees her now on Christmas day. She gave two messages on Christmas Day

The first one to Jacov was
"Today is a great day of joy and peace. Rejoice with me. Little children, in a special way, I call you to holiness in your families. I desire, little children, that each of your families be Holy and that God's joy and peace, which God sends you today in a special way, may come to rule and dwell in your families. Little children, open your hearts today on this day of grace, decide for God and put Him in the first place in your family. I am your Mother. I love you and give you my Motherly Blessing. "and the second message later in the day to Maria was
"Dear children! Also today I bring you the newborn Jesus in my arms. He who is the King of Heaven and earth, He is your peace. Little children, no one can give you peace as He who is the King of Peace. Therefore, adore Him in your hearts, choose Him and you will have joy in Him. He will bless you with His blessing of peace. Thank you for having responded to my call."

My Christmas started with English Mass on Christmas eve at 12 noon and after lunch, as it was a beautiful sunny day, I decided to climb Apparition Hill alone saying the Rosary. It was incredibly moving to be there on that day, as I prayed on top of the hill. I accidentally went down the wrong way and ended up at the Blue Cross where there were no pilgrims at all at either of the two Blue Crosses, usually very busy (Our Lady also appears here to Ivan) so I knew Our Lady had guided me that way.
I took some photos and prayed there until other people came. I then walked home and went to St James' church for the Rosary at 5pm where we prayed the Joyful and Sorrowful Mysteries during which they have a silent time when Our Lady appears to the visionaries at 5.40pm and then at 6pm we had the Medjugorje childrens sung, first Mass of Christmas which was truly Heavenly and delightful.
Afterwards we had the living Nativity play outside and even though it was now dark and cold it was extraordinarily beautiful.
It was performed by the young people of the Cenacolo communities of Sr Elvira, in Medjugorje, who are all recovered drug-addicts. They had constructed a small village of Bethlehem just behind the church with its own stable for the Holy Family, and a bright star above. It was very well done.

I then went home at about 8.30pm, before returning to the Church again at about 9pm in order to get a seat for the Christmas Adoration, as by now Medjugorje was positively packed with pilgrims, and even standing room in the church was at a premium.

We had Eucharistic Adoration (incredibly beautiful at Medjugorje) from 10pm until 12 midnight followed by Midnight Mass which was so glorious until 1.15am we ended the day singing a loud joyous Gloria with clapping. As well as the church being full the yellow hall, (a large hall nearby)was full and people were also outside the church watching on large screens
The Crib in St James' church is the largest and nicest Crib I have ever seen and I prayed there often.
On Christmas Day I went to the 12 noon English Mass which was again beautiful but as there were not as many English speaking pilgrims as others we had it in the small Adoration chapel but it was full.
After Mass I went home, had my dinner and then again climbed Apparition Hill praying the Joyful mysteries, it was even quieter than yesterday but so poignant to be there on this day. I prayed for everybody there, family, friends and the world.
I met a lovely American lady and her daughter on my walk home that day and we will remain friends, she has a son at the Cenacolo (drug rehab by prayer) community. I also, during my time in Medjugorje, made many other new friends from around the world, who I will remain in touch with, one lady from London who had been there 82 times.
I went home, had some coffee and then back to St James Church for Rosary at 5pm, Mass at 6pm, Healing of the sick prayers, the Glorious mysteries and the sung Litany after Mass. I went home at about 8pm.
We had been told by our English priest that there would be Adoration at 10pm that night but when we got there there wasn't but we were able to write down the Christmas message from the outside notice board and I made more new friends there.
I was very lucky I was staying just a few minutes walk from the church, this I had planned before going there.
The rest of my time there for the 14 days was spent in a similar way. New Years Eve was amazing we spent 10 hours in the church from 20 to 4 in the afternoon until 20 to 2 in the morning because if we left we would never get in again for the Adoration and Midnight Mass .
There was glorious singing during and after that Mass until 20 to 2 and then singing and dancing on the steps outside afterwards.
Also throughout this period there were many fireworks let off by the locals as it is traditional there, this I was not keen on as they were so noisy.
On the 2nd January I was present at a public Apparition of Our Lady to Mirjana and it was beautiful, I smelt roses after Our Lady left. If you would like to see Mirjana at this apparition it is online here
http://www.dmisericordiamed.it /mirjana2Gen07.htm
I also went to the Risen Christ Statue at the back of the church often, as it is a Miraculous place and healings have occurred there, the knee of the bronze statue has been leaking water in small drops since the year 2000 and people use special hankies to wipe it to take home and I know people who have got the smell of roses from those hankies afterwards and for one pilgrim in Germany the hanky became bloodstained. I saw an Italian lady fall down and rest in the Spirit there and after she got up she said Our Lady had appeared to her right there.
I know many Catholics do not believe in Medjugorje but it is real, I have seen several signs myself. The Catholic church cannot approve it until after the Apparitions stop but Pope John Paul 2nd said "LET THE PEOPLE GO TO MEDJUGORJE IF THEY CONVERT, PRAY, CONFESS, DO PENANCE AND FAST."
also other quotes from him were TODAY'S WORLD HAS LOST ITS SENSE OF THE SUPERNATURAL, BUT MANY ARE SEARCHING FOR IT - AND FIND IT IN MEDJUGORJE, THROUGH PRAYER, PENANCE AND FASTING." and
"IF I WERE NOT POPE I WOULD ALREADY BE IN MEDJUGORJE CONFESSING."(1987)
The Pope said to Fr. Jozo Zovko on the 20th July 1992: "BUSY YOURSELF WITH MEDJUGORJE, LOOK AFTER MEDJUGORJE, DON'T TIRE. PERSEVERE, BE STRONG, I AM WITH YOU. WATCH OVER, FOLLOW MEDJUGORJE
Fr Jozo is another saint from Medjugorje he spent 18 months in prison as he would not deny the Apparitions when the communists ruled there, he has had many miracles happen to him in prison and has seen Our Lady also. I went to his church, a drive out of Medjugorje on the Friday after Christmas and got blessed by him, many people rest in the Spirit when he blesses them, I was just a little shaky.
I also climbed Cross mountain on the Wednesday after Christmas, it is quite a climb (520 meters above sea level) but some people climbed in their feet despite the bitter cold that day. We do the Stations climbing that mountain and the 8.56 metre high concrete Cross was put there in 1933 by the local priest and people in commemoration of the 1900th Anniversary of the Passion of Jesus.
(This bit was copied from a website online ) Relics received from Rome for the occasion are embedded in the cross bar itself. They include a piece of the cross, venerated by Christians as the one on which Jesus Christ was crucified, the largest part of which is preserved in the Church of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem in Rome.
On three separate occasions I was moved to tears in the church. At the first night's Mass and Rosary I was so filled with joy to be there, tears came to my eyes. On two occasions before I left I cried as I did not want to leave Medjugorje. All in all a wonderful Blessed Christmas
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Thank you so much for sharing this. Can't imagine a more beautiful place to celebrate Our Lord's birth than at the site where His Mother is appearing!
By starbright
Thank you for sharing, Stella!