Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By aqueisce
I have been fasting for about 4 years now on wednesdays and fridays and I am at the point of not being able to eat bread anymore. I have discovered sweet bread which has made a huge difference. It is still plain bread but just has a sweeter flavour. Also throughout the day, some breadsticks are quite a nice snack on a fast day. I think its good idea to not eat bread on the other days of the week so it might make it easier on the fasting day to eat it. Its better than not eating anything at all, so I'm wondering is there others that are having trouble eating bread?

thanks,
:D
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Wow Acquisce - I missed your post back in January.

I had the same thing happen to me. I couldn't even walk down the bread aisle in the supermarket. :P For a time, I either didn't eat bread, or I ate rice instead. After a few months of avoiding bread, I was able to eat it occasionally again. Now I can eat bread on fast days, or I just fast entirely. Crackers can also be easier to eat than bread when you're going through the bread aversion stage. I think it's the yeast that becomes so hard to take. Matzos were also great as they're unleavened. :D
By missy
On occasion.... Try the bakery in your grocery store and some butter and jam.
By Angelica
I am having serious trouble fasting. Now that I am fifty it is getting so hard. I hate bread. In addition, I have digestive problems that are causing me all kinds of trouble. However, it is time for me to put excuses aside. I have been able to fast in the past. Would anyone mind praying with me for this grace? I know I have to get this back in my life. Cutting out TV etc is not the same for me.
Blessings
By Andy08
Aqueisce,

Fasting is a journey and a process just like our journey to God. THis has been my experieince. There are fast days that go by so easily and other days that seem to be endless. I think changing the bread is helpful. Going to a good bakery and using the freshest bread n town on fast days may help. Sometimes I heat the bread, sometimes toast it. I think one has to figure out there own way. I remind myself that it's not suppose to be easy otherwise it would not be a sacrifice. Four years is a long time. Clearly, you are committed and you will continue to succeed in this effort.

I also find being in front of the Eucharist on fast days helps a lot. Pray pray pray is the recommendation. This is especially true on fast days.

Some of my experiences shared here.

God's Peace,

Andy
By Angelica
Thanks Andy for your prayers. I went to Medjugorje in 1987 and for many yrs. fasting was a way of life. I have even done 3 to 9 day fasts. It just seems my blood sugar drops too much now. However, I am going to start on Tues/Thurs eve. I know it isn't quite the same but it is a little easier that way for me. God Bless you.
By Maryh
Hi Angelica,
i really relate to your struggles too! I'm finding it hard also but each time i fail I'm learning a lesson as to how to approach it differently next time.

I've learned that the fast that worked best for me was to begin the night before from 6pm onwards to fast~ Then i had a warm toasted pita bread (half of a big one), with a hot drink (i had Chai Tea) before bed. (if i'm too hungry then i dont' sleep) then the next day i had mostly liquids like tea,coffee, 1/2 lemon in water, etc. I tried bread early in the day before and it knocked me out so thats not for me. :lol.
Then later on in the day..closer to the time i was going to break the fast..i think i had some more of that pita bread (1/2 one).
This example is probably not the best one but i think i can at least try to get to grips with.

I failed miserably the last day i tried to fast, i had bread in the AM..but i was painting and soon i felt those familiar symptoms of hypoglycemia..(i'm not diabetic though or anything)~so then i had some bread to keep me going (which again made me super drained and tired) .
i usually need to have some kind of protein in my meals to prevent this. This is why i'm better off with little/no bread on my fast day.
This is my new discovery anyways and the next time i'll do it better. Hopefully i've have some good news to report soon.
Then I'll take smaller steps to have just water alone as Our Lady says to do.

i'll say a prayer you find the best way for you to fast too!. :)
By Angelica
Mary
I think I will begin Tues night with French toast & go forward Wednesday & see how that goes.
Thanks for your prayers.
By rising_suns
aqueisce wrote:I have been fasting for about 4 years now on wednesdays and fridays and I am at the point of not being able to eat bread anymore. I have discovered sweet bread which has made a huge difference. It is still plain bread but just has a sweeter flavour. Also throughout the day, some breadsticks are quite a nice snack on a fast day. I think its good idea to not eat bread on the other days of the week so it might make it easier on the fasting day to eat it. Its better than not eating anything at all, so I'm wondering is there others that are having trouble eating bread?

thanks,
:D
+JMJ+
Dear aqueisce,
If you are having trouble eating bread but are finding that sweet bread works for you, then it may be a developing sugar addiction. Sugar is the most addictive chemical found in food, and is equal in its properties to that of alcohol addiction. Today American food contains three times as much sugar as it did in 1940's. And Americans are, an average, about 25 lbs. heavier than they were just 25 years ago. Processed sugar accounts for all of this.

Watch the video on the bottom of this website. I think it may help you in your desire to fast out of love for Our Lady; http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/s ... ction.html

Blessings.