Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By June1
I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the best way to fast, for myself. I don't know what a good fast looks like, so I'm wondering if you could share what your fast consists of. Thank you!
By mamamary
i think it's a process, june...in the beginning, i tried by just really simplifying my meals on fast day...breakfast was a mug of tea or coffee and a piece of toast. for lunch, i would warm up a mug of chicken broth and just have that. dinner, since i was eating with the family, i would forego the meat or fish, and just have the veggie.

for me the main part was eliminating the snacking or impulse to pop something in my mouth and go. to make each bite a reminder of what the day is, what you want the sacrifice to mean, and a conscience offering of what you are giving up for the sake of the Our Lady's intentions for all of us!

eventually, i feel that the fast begins to unify us, to awaken us and makes us a real and feeling part of what is happening spiritually in the world. i would compare this 'spiritual awakening' to what you would feel if a loved one was lying in bed sick or suffering. you would naturally have a sense of unity to that suffering, a loss of desire for food, a desire to be in prayer for that loved one. fast days, for me, is much like that feeling.
By Maryh
I'm still trying to get into the fasting habit too. My latest attempts are to try to fast as i can, not as i should.
A medical fast is classified as going without food for 8-12 hours. So now, if i don't get to start my fast the evening beforehand for whatever reason i try to at least attempt to fast for this amount of time on a Friday. (Around 10 hours of fasting. No bread preferably -just plenty of drinks like tea). I'm just starting with Friday at first but i do hope to increase this to include Wednesdays too.
This differs to the medjugorje fast that i was aware of which started from 6pm the evening beforehand until around the same time the next evening to end the fast. Bread & Water was advised as the best fast by Our Lady too.

Other fasts mentioned in the bible was a 'Daniel's Fast' which was to fast on vegetables and water for 10 days. At the end of the ten day trial period,Daniel and his three friends appeared healthier than their peers who ate the rich foods from the royal table.
By Andy08
Hi June,

I think there are many roads to a joyful fast. Sometimes reading books is helpful. One quote attributed to Jelena, the Medjugorje locutionist that inspires me is: She said, "I do not hear Our Lady's voice if I do not fast." I know myself that when I fast and pray little miracles seem to occur all around me. Graces flow, struggles seem to disappear or struggles lose their weight. Our Lady is happy to remove fears and anxieties in exchange for prayer and fasting. She wants to give us God's Peace but we must ask and sacrifice. And not really that much. It is not hard to fast with a pantry full of food waiting for you in the morning. Much easier than starving with no food like much of Haiti and other places around the world.

Also, fasting is easier for me when paired with Mass and communion and if possible Eucharistic Adoration and always prayer and scripture. The first bit of food I like to receive on Wed is communion at morning mass. I cannot always get there because of work but when I do it makes the fast go much easier. I have been sick the past few weeks and not been able to fast. I long to return to this practice soon.

It is a gift to Our Lady. It is storing treasure in heaven.

Developing a routine is helpful. I go to a bakery and get fresh bread on Tues for my fast. This begins to prepare me for the fast. Then of course you can pray to be successful, contemplate your intentions, etc. It is best I think when it becomes part of the rhythm of your week. I have recommended Sr. Emmanuels CD on fasting before. It is excellent and I often listen to it on fast days. I've listened to it so often I'm starting to talk to myself with a French accent.
Good Luck,

Andy
By medj_pilgrim
Perhaps an early message will be useful here: it shows that it is not only food - bread and water - that are involved. It was given to the visionaries in 1981:

8/12/81 - If you are not able to fast on bread and water, you can give up various things. It would be very good to give up television, since after watching the programmes you are distracted and unable to pray. You can renounce alcohol, cigarettes and other pleasures. You know yourselves what you must do.
By pippy-sue
I do not fast...at least not from food....but I am seeing that this maybe something I need to do...not just for healthy body(which Lord knows I need to lost a little..okay, abit more than a little LOL)...but for reminding me of "purity"...to be pure and learn self-discipline so it can be directed in all aspects of my life.

That is my own reason...and if it helps others, then this would bring me joy to know :) As that could be my true main motivator
By roses4mary
I would like to try and fast and for 2 weeks I've been thinking of doing it.......and then Our Lady confrimed to me the importance of it. I do so much want to please Our Lord and our Blessed Mother. How do the visionaries fast in Medjugorje?
By aoise
Each wednesday and friday's fast is a challenge and sometimes I do better than at other times. I have gone back to eating plain naan bread, (which is made more palatable by heating in the microwave) and drinking tea. I try and replace one cup of tea with water and this is something I need to try and do more of. Coffee, of which I only ever have one cup a day, is one of my hardest sacrifices ! I also try not to watch terestial TV but tend to be a bit erratic with that one. So, activity on many fronts and all with varying success. Some weeks better than other weeks. Maybe that is how it's meant to be, so that there is a continual striving for improvement, for perfection.
By Justme
I had excuses for not fasting for quite a while now, being pregnant and breastfeeding. :wink: So in the last few years I did not always fast except but usally did not eat sweet things and meat on Wednesdays and Fridays. But from today I'd like to do the classic bread water fasting of Our Lady of Medjugorje again. I just feel responsible for living the messages more. If anyone has a spare prayer... Fasting is for me usually easier when I had a rich and filling meal the evening before.
Last edited by Justme on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By aoise
Fasting is for me usually easier when I had a rich and filling meal the evening before.

I recall Father Slavko in a talk saying something like that ! However, in his case, it didn't work !! :) If you haven't been able to fast on bread and water until now, I would suggest that you do it gradually. I manage bread and tea but not the water bit, although I have substituted tea on one or two meals but not the whole day. I wish you well.
By Justme
Sorry, I didn't express myself so clear. I do have experiences with fasting on water and bread - but in the last 3 years I was pregnant or breastfeading a lot and therefore had long breaks of fasting. But nevertheless it sill is a challenge!
Last edited by Justme on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By julia60
I would like to share two beautiful tips for fasting which make it special for me. I hope it will help and encourage you.

One of the visionaries said once that we can tell our tummy, we are in charge and tummy must wait till we say it is ok to eat...it works.

Another amazing encouragement I have recently come across to fast. We know it pleases Our Heavenly Father very much when we give alms, ie food, money donation, water, clothing to charities, comfort to the sick and prisoners etc.

But to fast is to give alms of the Spirit to God Himself. He will never be outdone in generosity and giving Him alms by fasting, delights Heavenly Father because He searches ways to outdo our generosity. I find this very exciting.

For now, I can't do fasting after a second surgery because of post operation infection. Community nurses are doing blood tests (I can't cheat) to make sure I have enough nutrients for the long slow healing process and nurses are working to avoid ulceration setting in. I am told to rest (Yippee) and make sure to eat well (Yippee).

Once the healng is complete, God Willing, I look forward to getting back on the Marian fasting trail. Good luck and God bless your efforts in fasting. Say a little prayer for me.
By alrac
I've been trying out to FAST for the last month. I had many doubts about what you are allowed to eat or not to eat and for how long.
I've been doing the usual bit of tea and toast in the morning and maybe a soup and bread roll for lunch and then a normal meal for dinner.
My cutting off time is about 6 p.m. and of course I try not to eat meat on Fridays.
Thingking that this was not the correct way I investigated FASTING on Wikkepedia and got informed about quite a few doubts. If anyone wishes to clear up this issue, then they should read about it as well.
Even though I'm a bit more clear about the subject, I've understood that what's important is what is in our hearts and how we offer our sacrifices to the Lord.
Hoping that my offerings are always acceptable to Him I wish everyone the best in their endeavours.
By Andy08
Hi Alrac,

I think the general view is to start with what you are comfortable with doing. People in Medjugorje and many followers of Medjugorje try to fast on only bread and water on Wednesdays and Fridays. This is the ultimate goal in Medjugorje, to make this two day a week fast part of your weekly spiritual rhythm. Of course only if you are physically able and if you so desire. I find two days difficult and only fast on Wednesdays on bread and water. The fast starts in the morning and continues until the following morning. This works for me, but everyone is different. I find if I neglect any of the stones of Medjugorje I can tell. Good luck with your efforts. Don't be hard on yourself if you break the fast prematurely. Fasting isn't suppose to make us feel guilty if we fail, but instead to increase our love of God.

If you decide to fast on bread and water try to get nutritious and fresh bread that tastes good to you.

Good Luck,

Andy
By Mt. Carmel
Got stocks in of 'part baked' long-life bread to finish off in the oven - also chilled carbonated spring water.

Some folks do Wednesdays, Fridays AND Saturdays. I'll try sticking to the 2 day pattern for now, methinks.

Peace and Love.
By Mt. Carmel
Toad in the Hole [Yorkshire pudding with sausages - good filling fayre] this evening in preparation for tomorrow [Friday] - 9am to 3pm Masses, Rosary, Divine Mercy chaplet, prayers for the Holy Souls, the re-conversion of England, for more good priests etc., etc.; will keep my mind off my stomach, Deo Gratias.

Peace and Love.
By Mt. Carmel
Yee hi! Managed Wednesday and Friday without feeling the usual craving - please God that Heaven and me have it cracked between us. Got to keep an eye out that I don't pig out the other days.

Peace and Love.
By spinningsun
For me i have some health problems, and born with fetal alchol spectrum disorder. My seconadry problem with FASD have been eating disorder, anorexi and bulimia. Im well from the eating disorder now, But I try to don,t drive the fasting to hard, but the first thing i try is to be thanksful for the food i eat, and the fasting one meal, but no more than one meal a day for me.I try to do it for God, for the world, very mutch for mothers with alcohol problemes, for mothers who don,t no the danger of alcohol during pragnency (even one glass), for children and adults, struggling with FASD. Judges 13:7 states: "Behold thou shalt conceive and bear a son: and now drink no wine or strong drink" Our Lady wish one should be secret about fasting, but sometimes one need advice. So i hope writing here is ok for her...