Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By Eire88
Hello All.

It is 6 weeks since i was in Medjugorje now.

I have continued to keep with my rosary everyday.

However the fasting on Wednesday and Fridays is hard.

Basically i did the bread and water fast for 4 weeks no problem both Wednesday and Fridays.

However the bread is crippling my tummy. I never was a bread eater as it just didn't suit me.

I had to give up the fast.

This week i was not good as i didn't know where to begin with the fast.

Today Friday, I just ate some cereal in morning and then again at lunchtime. I then kept away from any sort of food till 8.30 where i had to give in. I ate fish and rice.

I am wondering is there anything else i could fast on, or do something in honor of our lady or something. I feel so guilty for eating full stop today.

So far i have gone back to going to mass every Sunday and i went to my first confession in about 10 years ( long time considering i am now 23) last Tuesday week after reading Mirjana's message on July 2nd in relation to confession.

Anyway, i am doing my best everyday to convert. Sometimes i feel i am not paying attention to what i should be when i am saying the Rosary.

If you have any suggestions re the fasting. Please pass them on to me.

Love and Peace

Eleana xxxx
By MRSTOL
Dear Eire88,

Probably the hardest thing for everyone is fasting. We ALL want to modify it to our own needs and wants but the BVM is clear on what she wants! We all wonder if we can make it thru midnight on Wed and Fri. We justify it by saying "as long as we give up something". The Visionaires say that fasting is one of the most discussed by Americans when in Medjugorje. I try to do bread and water but I "get migraines" and am irritable at times. My co workers know that I fast. Some tempt me others respect my intentions and find bread for me to eat. I usually can go 12 hours or till 6pm but then it is hard when I have to cook for my family. My husband use to fast with me but our miracle has not come yet so he has given up the fast. I did promise the BVM that I would fast from meat on those days for hte rest of my life if I could not fast on bread alone. I read that we should try and fast from something we love at least. I LOVE meat every meal. I am from Texas and beef is a natural food. When I want to give up I then think of the following words "How much do u love? Will you not sacrifice for your miracle?" and I think of the words of Our Lord in the Agony in the Garden " The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak". I say that to myself when I want to break the fast. I have broken the meat fast twice in a year because I lost track of the day of the week with a government holiday that fell on a Monday. We hope to go back to Medjugoje in October if we get our miracle on July 29, 2011.This is my story and I am sticking to it!

Love in Christ,
MRSTOL
Last edited by MRSTOL on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Eire88
Hi There

Thanks for your comments.

Yea i will try and give up something i really enjoy...MY FACEBOOK :)

I am not a big foodie in general, I will continue to eat nothing for 12 hours and then maybe just eat some cereal or fruit to keep me going rather than bread.

I am trying hard with this conversion of mine. I just hope i keep it up and remain focused..sometimes i feel like i am not feeling connected to god at all..but i'll keep trying.

Take Care and Thanks for sharing your story.

Eleana xxx
By karend61
hi there
i just wanted to put my two cents in on my fasting experience, if i could.
i have been fasting on fridays for quite some time, only just recently on wednesdays.
it hasnt been easy, fasting has definately been a challenge.
however, i have tried my best to fast according to the messages and the biblical way, on bread and water.
first of all, i hate bread. i really dont eat alot of it at all. so to fast with it has been difficult.

i recommend you try to fast to the best of your ability on the bread and water. there is a deeper spiritual meaning to your fast if you listen to the messages and do it the way our lady asks. yes, we suffer when we fast, but try not to stay focused on what you cant have (i.e. other food) and focus on our lord and how he sacrificed for you and me, and offer each fast for some special intention.

i have found that to fast, your eyes become more opened and you see your world in a whole new light. fasting also helps you stave off temptation for other things on non fasting days.

it truly is a gift to fast and reap the benefits of it.
stay strong, persevere, try not to be too perfect but do your best. if you 'give in' to something during your fasting day try to make it a point to do better next time.
it gets easier as time goes on, if you stick with it it becomes habit and on your fasting days you wont even think about being hungry, you will think of others and why you are fasting instead of 'i'm starving! i'm suffering!' (that was me in the beginning!)

i believe, too, that as long as you are trying. that actually says a lot! give yourself a break, and hang in there. do the best you can. trying is more than most do.

god bless!
By Eire88
Hello Karen

Thanks for your advice.

Maybe i am quitting the bread and water fast too soon. I will give it another go this week so. My stomach hurt so much the past two weeks...i know i am complaining but i will persevere through this discomfort and like you said, think of why Mary wants me to do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Eleana xxx
By Andy08
It is very difficult for me to fast twice a week. I usuallyonly fast on Wednesdays---and not every Wed.

Do your best is good advice. Pray for the grace to do more. Sr. Emmaneul has a Great Cd that I often listen to on Tuesday's on fasting; it helps prepare me. I highly recommend it. It inspires me to complete my fast. You can find it at childrenofmedjugorje.com. It is excellent. I ran into her when I was in Medjugorje and I told her how much I loved her CD's and DVD's. I gave a hug. She's one of my hero's.
Andy
By Apprentice Saint
Andy08.... can you please direct me to Sr Emmaneul's C D on fasting . I have searched childofmejugorje.com site but cant find it .
Thank you
MIR
By Andy08
The Cd is listed on that website. 1st page in Cd section in the "store" section. Its sku#16142. You can get to Cd section from storethen choose Cd inupper lefthand corner. Its called fasting. Its the next to last Cd on page good luck.

Andy
By Andy08
Fasting days for me are long. It helps to be busy at work. I tend to go to bed much earlier and I get up much earlier. I get up very early to have coffee. It tastes very good after a fast day. it's usually still dark so I have my coffee in quiet and prayer. Coffee club with our Lady. It is perhaps my favorite time of the week. Thursday mornings follow a fast.
Andy
By knitswithcoffee
As I am new to fasting..can someone please tell me does our Lady require fasting from sun-up to sun-down or a full 24 hrs?
By Andy08
try fasting on bread and water only once a week or once every other week. Twice a week is tough. Find a fresh, delicious healthy bread from a bakery that makes the bread fresh daily. My wife and I struggle but have ordered a bread maker. Hopefully making our own bread will prepare us for the fast day. Also, as I have said previously, Sr. Emmanuels CD on fasting is always motivating. It's a long informative discussion of why fasting on bread and water is so little to ask with so much to gain.

Jelena, the locutionist said, she cannot hear Our Lady's vocie without fasting.

God's Peace,

Andy
By Enam60
I am a sick woman with breast cancer and my thyroid works very slowly so my cholestrerol level in my blood is very high and also I am depressed woman since I was 17 years old and I have infection in my right ear and I have sensitive skin so due to all these illness I swallow very much medicines everyday so fasting to me is impossible because I am to weak to fast on Wednesdays and Fridays but I Used to pray Rosary Prayer Everyday so if there is anyone sick like me or has any one of my illness can not fasting so he can pray Rosary Prayers everyday and fasting om talking about others and help people who need help and help poor people in anyway he can