Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By Evania1
I was just curious why the Blessed Mother chose two specific days to request us to fast on (Wed and Fri), instead of just asking us fast twice a week. I thought I had read somewhere that she had a specific reason for this. I can't recall what it was though. Does anyone remember what the visionaries said about the significance of those two days?
By Gullytale
The Didache - 'Teaching' of the Twelve Apostles in the earliest Church.

From chapter 8.1

The text reads: “Let not your fasts be with the hypocrites, for they fast on Mondays and Thursdays, but do you fast on Wednesdays and Fridays.”

They were requested to change the days of fasting by the Jews - from Mondays and Thursdays to Wednesday and Friday.

Mary said, "you have forgotten that with prayer and fasting you can change natural laws and prevent war...... " Reminding us of what was done when She was on earth - early Church.

It's also very good for overall health too. :-) I was reading today about mental health care. How smell and touch can raise levels of certain brain chemicals affected in things like anxiety and depression. Dopamine and serotonin. Levels of both are doubled in the brain when we smell something pleasant or a loving embrace. Mary often leaves a lovely fragrance of roses. Encourages us to get out into the natural world to remind us of God - a world where all our senses are fully used.

People talk about 'banal' messages. They are far from it - full of wisdom, truth and a way to life in this world and the next. :-)
By Evania1
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'm new to fasting, and I can honestly say that although it is difficult, I love it! Thank you both for sharing your knowledge with me.

God Bless!
By Gullytale
Remember too Evania that fasting two days a week helps cut coronary disease, diabetes, cancer etc. So it's good spiritually and physically. You don't have to do the full fast two days a week in beginning. Can build up to it. And of course if you are not well fasting is excused. One of my sisters was just asking about it. Telling her same thing - begin small and about the health benefits.