Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By AnotherMe
I broke my fast 3.5 hours earlier than I intended to. I suppose this is a sin. Please pray that I succeed in fasting. I was discouraged after hearing and reading the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism. I know that's a cop out and probably makes the breaking of a fast more of a falling short or sin.
By TimHaley
See the glass for how full it is, not how empty! Congratulate yourself for what you have accomplished!

Sin is a focus on one's own self-love above that for God and others. If breaking your fast 3.5 hours early is a sin, it is a small one! You are being way too hard on yourself. Don't think of fasting as something you are giving up for yourself, think of it as a gift you are giving to God and others. I like to think that for every morsel of food I go without, another hungry soul will be able to eat. I don't know that that happens in reality, but it is my prayer and desire and I'm happy to do it thinking that God or others may benefit.

At times, I've ended my fast earlier than expected, but I still feel the grace for having fasted.
By Gael
Its not a sin as the church doesnt require us to fast except on Ash Wednesday & Good Friday. I am sure God will be pleased that you have tried to fast, so dont be discouraged, as my granny used to say... tomorrow is a new day!
By Evania1
A few years ago, a couple friends and I used St.Therese prayer beads to help us in our weight loss efforts. (You can use this principle in fasting too!) Each time we felt like eating an unhealthy food, we would offer it up as a prayer for the unborn or some other prayer request. It was a small sacrifice on my part, but when something is offered up to Jesus it becomes a powerful prayer. While it may be hard to deprive myself of an unhealthy food craving, it becomes easier once I offer it up for someone who can use the prayers such as the unborn.
By AnotherMe
Evania1 wrote:A few years ago, a couple friends and I used St.Therese prayer beads to help us in our weight loss efforts. (You can use this principle in fasting too!) Each time we felt like eating an unhealthy food, we would offer it up as a prayer for the unborn or some other prayer request. It was a small sacrifice on my part, but when something is offered up to Jesus it becomes a powerful prayer. While it may be hard to deprive myself of an unhealthy food craving, it becomes easier once I offer it up for someone who can use the prayers such as the unborn.
Evania1 it's funny you mention these two subjects. Yesterday I was listening to a CD about a Priest talking about St. Therese "The Little Flower" and her miraculous powers. I am currently trying to lose weight and just got finished registering my 2lb weight loss on a website.