Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By HOF_13
I was wondering is it okay to put sugar or honey in my water on fasting days? Or is it best to do just plain bread and water?
By Maryh
Hi, I'm certainly no fasting expert but I just thought I'd share with you something I heard
with regards to praying which is to 'pray as you can, not as you should'
, which I think can be applied to fasting also. So maybe if you 'fast as you can, not as you should' & God knows
your doing your best from the heart.

I do know our lady said that a fast with bread & water is the best one.
I heard a priest recommend fasting mostly from food until 6pm in the day & then have an evening meal & he said you could have fruit juices or even Coca-Cola to drink during it... :lol: but I do know that some people get into big trouble with low blood sugar problems so they may need to
have something like that.

Maybe you could try for the plain water & have another bottle of well diluted fruit juice in water & just take that only if you really need it,
say if your feeling like your going to pass out or if your suffering from low blood sugar reactions.
I think I'd prefer a diluted low glycaemic index juice like apple juice diluted because sugar water/honey may give you sugar 'rushes' & just make you feel a bit crazy. (I don't know if it would; its just a guess)

Practically speaking I doubt that our lady wants you to keel over during your fast or to become totally non-functional!
For me, I really struggled with just bread & water alone, as I wanted hot tea and the bread sent me to sleep, so I have to work out
for myself how to fast as I can.

Anyways; I need to develop the fasting habit too, & not think of it as any kind of 'diet' but that I'm doing it
for God alone!