Share your favorite prayers and your most cherished means of connecting with God, including prayers that you wrote.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By athenacp
CROWN OF THORNS PRAYER

DEAR LORD, I am grieved when I consider Thy sad condition when Thou wore the Crown of Thorns upon Thy hold Head. I desire to withdraw the thorns by offering to the Eternal Father the merits of Thy Wounds for the salvation of sinners. I wish to unite my actions to the merits of Thy Most Holy Crown, so that they may gain many merits, as Thou hast promised. Amen.

-----Prayer based on a revelation by Our Lord to Sr. Chambon
By athenacp
MESSAGE OF HIS HOLINESS
BENEDICT XVI
FOR LENT 2011

“You were buried with him in baptism,
in which you were also raised with him.” (cf. Col 2: 12)

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The Lenten period, which leads us to the celebration of Holy Easter, is for the Church a most valuable and important liturgical time, in view of which I am pleased to offer a specific word in order that it may be lived with due diligence. As she awaits the definitive encounter with her Spouse in the eternal Easter, the Church community, assiduous in prayer and charitable works, intensifies her journey in purifying the spirit, so as to draw more abundantly from the Mystery of Redemption the new life in Christ the Lord (cf. Preface I of Lent).

1. This very life was already bestowed upon us on the day of our Baptism, when we “become sharers in Christ’s death and Resurrection”, and there began for us “the joyful and exulting adventure of his disciples” (Homily on the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, 10 January, 2010). In his Letters, St. Paul repeatedly insists on the singular communion with the Son of God that this washing brings about. The fact that, in most cases, Baptism is received in infancy highlights how it is a gift of God: no one earns eternal life through their own efforts. The mercy of God, which cancels sin and, at the same time, allows us to experience in our lives “the mind of Christ Jesus” (Phil 2: 5), is given to men and women freely. The Apostle to the Gentiles, in the Letter to the Philippians, expresses the meaning of the transformation that takes place through participation in the death and resurrection of Christ, pointing to its goal: that “I may come to know him and the power of his resurrection, and partake of his sufferings by being molded to the pattern of his death, striving towards the goal of resurrection from the dead” (Phil 3: 10-11). Hence, Baptism is not a rite from the past, but the encounter with Christ, which informs the entire existence of the baptized, imparting divine life and calling for sincere conversion; initiated and supported by Grace, it permits the baptized to reach the adult stature of Christ.

A particular connection binds Baptism to Lent as the favorable time to experience this saving Grace. The Fathers of the Second Vatican Council exhorted all of the Church’s Pastors to make greater use “of the baptismal features proper to the Lenten liturgy” (Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy Sacrosanctum concilium, n. 109). In fact, the Church has always associated the Easter Vigil with the celebration of Baptism: this Sacrament realizes the great mystery in which man dies to sin, is made a sharer in the new life of the Risen Christ and receives the same Spirit of God who raised Jesus from the dead (cf. Rm 8: 11). This free gift must always be rekindled in each one of us, and Lent offers us a path like that of the catechumenate, which, for the Christians of the early Church, just as for catechumens today, is an irreplaceable school of faith and Christian life. Truly, they live their Baptism as an act that shapes their entire existence.

2. In order to undertake more seriously our journey towards Easter and prepare ourselves to celebrate the Resurrection of the Lord – the most joyous and solemn feast of the entire liturgical year – what could be more appropriate than allowing ourselves to be guided by the Word of God? For this reason, the Church, in the Gospel texts of the Sundays of Lent, leads us to a particularly intense encounter with the Lord, calling us to retrace the steps of Christian initiation: for catechumens, in preparation for receiving the Sacrament of rebirth; for the baptized, in light of the new and decisive steps to be taken in the sequela Christi and a fuller giving of oneself to him.

The First Sunday of the Lenten journey reveals our condition as human beings here on earth. The victorious battle against temptation, the starting point of Jesus’ mission, is an invitation to become aware of our own fragility in order to accept the Grace that frees from sin and infuses new strength in Christ – the way, the truth and the life (cf. Ordo Initiationis Christianae Adultorum, n. 25). It is a powerful reminder that Christian faith implies, following the example of Jesus and in union with him, a battle “against the ruling forces who are masters of the darkness in this world” (Eph 6: 12), in which the devil is at work and never tires – even today – of tempting whoever wishes to draw close to the Lord: Christ emerges victorious to open also our hearts to hope and guide us in overcoming the seductions of evil.

The Gospel of the Transfiguration of the Lord puts before our eyes the glory of Christ, which anticipates the resurrection and announces the divinization of man. The Christian community becomes aware that Jesus leads it, like the Apostles Peter, James and John “up a high mountain by themselves” (Mt 17: 1), to receive once again in Christ, as sons and daughters in the Son, the gift of the Grace of God: “This is my Son, the Beloved; he enjoys my favor. Listen to him” (Mt 17: 5). It is the invitation to take a distance from the noisiness of everyday life in order to immerse oneself in God’s presence. He desires to hand down to us, each day, a Word that penetrates the depths of our spirit, where we discern good from evil (cf. Heb 4:12), reinforcing our will to follow the Lord.

The question that Jesus puts to the Samaritan woman: “Give me a drink” (Jn 4: 7), is presented to us in the liturgy of the third Sunday; it expresses the passion of God for every man and woman, and wishes to awaken in our hearts the desire for the gift of “a spring of water within, welling up for eternal life” (Jn 4: 14): this is the gift of the Holy Spirit, who transforms Christians into “true worshipers,” capable of praying to the Father “in spirit and truth” (Jn 4: 23). Only this water can extinguish our thirst for goodness, truth and beauty! Only this water, given to us by the Son, can irrigate the deserts of our restless and unsatisfied soul, until it “finds rest in God”, as per the famous words of St. Augustine.

The Sunday of the man born blind presents Christ as the light of the world. The Gospel confronts each one of us with the question: “Do you believe in the Son of man?” “Lord, I believe!” (Jn 9: 35. 38), the man born blind joyfully exclaims, giving voice to all believers. The miracle of this healing is a sign that Christ wants not only to give us sight, but also open our interior vision, so that our faith may become ever deeper and we may recognize him as our only Savior. He illuminates all that is dark in life and leads men and women to live as “children of the light”.

On the fifth Sunday, when the resurrection of Lazarus is proclaimed, we are faced with the ultimate mystery of our existence: “I am the resurrection and the life… Do you believe this?” (Jn 11: 25-26). For the Christian community, it is the moment to place with sincerity – together with Martha – all of our hopes in Jesus of Nazareth: “Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, the one who was to come into this world” (Jn 11: 27). Communion with Christ in this life prepares us to overcome the barrier of death, so that we may live eternally with him. Faith in the resurrection of the dead and hope in eternal life open our eyes to the ultimate meaning of our existence: God created men and women for resurrection and life, and this truth gives an authentic and definitive meaning to human history, to the personal and social lives of men and women, to culture, politics and the economy. Without the light of faith, the entire universe finishes shut within a tomb devoid of any future, any hope.

The Lenten journey finds its fulfillment in the Paschal Triduum, especially in the Great Vigil of the Holy Night: renewing our baptismal promises, we reaffirm that Christ is the Lord of our life, that life which God bestowed upon us when we were reborn of “water and Holy Spirit”, and we profess again our firm commitment to respond to the action of the Grace in order to be his disciples.

3. By immersing ourselves into the death and resurrection of Christ through the Sacrament of Baptism, we are moved to free our hearts every day from the burden of material things, from a self-centered relationship with the “world” that impoverishes us and prevents us from being available and open to God and our neighbor. In Christ, God revealed himself as Love (cf. 1Jn 4: 7-10). The Cross of Christ, the “word of the Cross”, manifests God’s saving power (cf. 1Cor 1: 18), that is given to raise men and women anew and bring them salvation: it is love in its most extreme form (cf. Encyclical Deus (use discernment when discussing this group) est, n. 12). Through the traditional practices of fasting, almsgiving and prayer, which are an expression of our commitment to conversion, Lent teaches us how to live the love of Christ in an ever more radical way. Fasting, which can have various motivations, takes on a profoundly religious significance for the Christian: by rendering our table poorer, we learn to overcome selfishness in order to live in the logic of gift and love; by bearing some form of deprivation – and not just what is in excess – we learn to look away from our “ego”, to discover Someone close to us and to recognize God in the face of so many brothers and sisters. For Christians, fasting, far from being depressing, opens us ever more to God and to the needs of others, thus allowing love of God to become also love of our neighbor (cf. Mk 12: 31).

In our journey, we are often faced with the temptation of accumulating and love of money that undermine God’s primacy in our lives. The greed of possession leads to violence, exploitation and death; for this, the Church, especially during the Lenten period, reminds us to practice almsgiving – which is the capacity to share. The idolatry of goods, on the other hand, not only causes us to drift away from others, but divests man, making him unhappy, deceiving him, deluding him without fulfilling its promises, since it puts materialistic goods in the place of God, the only source of life. How can we understand God’s paternal goodness, if our heart is full of egoism and our own projects, deceiving us that our future is guaranteed? The temptation is to think, just like the rich man in the parable: “My soul, you have plenty of good things laid by for many years to come…”. We are all aware of the Lord’s judgment: “Fool! This very night the demand will be made for your soul…” (Lk 12: 19-20). The practice of almsgiving is a reminder of God’s primacy and turns our attention towards others, so that we may rediscover how good our Father is, and receive his mercy.

During the entire Lenten period, the Church offers us God’s Word with particular abundance. By meditating and internalizing the Word in order to live it every day, we learn a precious and irreplaceable form of prayer; by attentively listening to God, who continues to speak to our hearts, we nourish the itinerary of faith initiated on the day of our Baptism. Prayer also allows us to gain a new concept of time: without the perspective of eternity and transcendence, in fact, time simply directs our steps towards a horizon without a future. Instead, when we pray, we find time for God, to understand that his “words will not pass away” (cf. Mk 13: 31), to enter into that intimate communion with Him “that no one shall take from you” (Jn 16: 22), opening us to the hope that does not disappoint, eternal life.

In synthesis, the Lenten journey, in which we are invited to contemplate the Mystery of the Cross, is meant to reproduce within us “the pattern of his death” (Ph 3: 10), so as to effect a deep conversion in our lives; that we may be transformed by the action of the Holy Spirit, like St. Paul on the road to Damascus; that we may firmly orient our existence according to the will of God; that we may be freed of our egoism, overcoming the instinct to dominate others and opening us to the love of Christ. The Lenten period is a favorable time to recognize our weakness and to accept, through a sincere inventory of our life, the renewing Grace of the Sacrament of Penance, and walk resolutely towards Christ.

Dear Brothers and Sisters, through the personal encounter with our Redeemer and through fasting, almsgiving and prayer, the journey of conversion towards Easter leads us to rediscover our Baptism. This Lent, let us renew our acceptance of the Grace that God bestowed upon us at that moment, so that it may illuminate and guide all of our actions. What the Sacrament signifies and realizes, we are called to experience every day by following Christ in an ever more generous and authentic manner. In this our itinerary, let us entrust ourselves to the Virgin Mary, who generated the Word of God in faith and in the flesh, so that we may immerse ourselves – just as she did – in the death and resurrection of her Son Jesus, and possess eternal life.

From the Vatican, 4 November, 2010

BENEDICTUS PP. XVI
By athenacp
Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth shall declare your praise."

Opening Prayer:
Lord,
with your loving care
guide the penance we have begun.
Help us to persevere with love and sincerity.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

Today's Readings: <http://www.usccb.org/nab/021910.shtml> Isaiah 58: 1-9a; Psalm 51: 3-4, 5-6ab, 18-19; Matthew 9: 14-15

Daily Meditation:
A Friday of Lent
and an introduction to "True Fasting."
We are still in the first four days of Lent.
Today and tomorrow we read the 58th Chapter
of the book of the prophet Isaiah.
These powerful words have such a contemporary message.
True fasting will lead us to act justly and caring
for those who are most in need.

On every Friday of Lent we abstain from meat
as a sign of our common penance.
It represents our efforts to abstain from
- do without - so many other patterns
that get in the way of our happiness and wholeness.

Today's Daily Reflection <http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... 21910.html>

Intercessions:
Let us pray to Christ our Savior, who redeemed us by his death and resurrection:
Lord, have mercy on us.

You went up to Jerusalem to suffer and so enter into your glory,
- bring your Church to the Passover feast of heaven.
You were lifted high on the cross and pierced by the soldier's lance,
- heal our wounds.
You made the cross the tree of life,
- give its fruit to those reborn in baptism.
On the cross you forgave the repentant thief,
- forgive us our sins.

Closing Prayer:
Lord,
I know how much you love me.
It’s hard for me to feel it sometimes,
but I know your love is always with me.

Help me to use your love as a way
to persevere in my Lenten intentions.
I am weak, but I know with your help,
I can use these small sacrifices in my life to draw closer to you.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.

With permission from : Creighton U Online Ministries <http://www.creighton.edu/CollaborativeM ... nline.html>
By athenacp
Week 1: Stations of the Cross #1-3

This week we invite you to meditate on stations I, II and III.

Christ's Passion - as represented in the Way of the Cross - begins with a condemnation. Condemnation is an act of finality. It destroys the human person - it waives freedom and dignity - even before killing the body. In the case of Jesus, condemnation also means a final mockery of innocence and justice. Shouldering the cross, Jesus assumes our shame, lost innocence, and lack of justice. The Way of the Cross begins with a fall: Christ has assumed our human condition; the Way of the Cross is not make-believe but real.

First Station: Condemned to Death

Roots

When the chief priests and the officers saw him, they cried out, "Crucify him, crucify him!" Pilate said to them, "Take him yourselves and crucify him, for I find no crime in him." John 19:6

Representation

Red upon red, vilified or lightened by yellow. Poisonous anger to the left of Pilate, idle curiosity and anguished premonition on his right. Pilate himself is the image of heavy-lined chaos: the chaos of conflicting emotions, allegiances, and truth. But where is Jesus?

Identification

Jesus’ face is never seen in this Way of the Cross. He is absent altogether from the First Station. So, who is the victim of anger, injustice or indifference? Is there an open slot for me, maybe even a gap? Frightened? "Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Trial, or distress, or persecution, or hunger, or nakedness, or danger, or the sword?" (Romans 8:35)

+ + + + + + + + + +

Second Station: Carrying the Cross

Roots

The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law he ought to die, because he has made himself the Son of God." John 19:7

Representation

Golgotha, in the upper left corner, seems very far and insignificant, swallowed up almost by the flying buttresses of still another tower of Babel beneath. In the lower left corner, the lamb of God is being crushed by the weight of the universe. But who is the black figure in the far right portion of the Second Station?

Identification

Black and in street clothes, the figure stands for each one of us, including Jesus. Thanks to him the cross is now a crutch and staff, for Golgotha is a long, long way ahead. But we are riding on the back of the lamb, symbol of victory over death.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Third Station: The First Fall

Roots

The idea of the first fall, not mentioned in Scripture, is traceable to ca. 1475 (Bethlehem). Isaiah speaks of the suffering servant: Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. Isaiah 53:4

Representation

Flattened to the ground and convulsing in helpless struggle, the bearer of the cross is seeing, in his fevered imagination, visions of betrayal (flying rooster), of injustice (Pilate in a time capsule), and abandonment (the angel of God indifferently flying by). What help is there in the cross?

Identification

The cross is like a giant nail pinning us to the ground of our human condition. Not only sign of victory and redemption, the cross is also a mark of shame and defeat. In this sign, joy and shame are reconciled.
By athenacp
-1-

The Beatitudes and the Passion

Mt S 1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him. And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,

First Beatitude Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Lc 11 9-13 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

2Co 8 9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich,
yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

Jn 19 " 28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

Mk 10 46 And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging. 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. 48 And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me. 49 And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he callesh thee. 50 And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus. 51 And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee?
The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight. 52 And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.

Mk 10 17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 20 And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
23 And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answeeth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Ps 131
LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty:
neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me Surely I have behaved and quieted my soul, as a child that is weaned of his mother:
my soul is even as a weaned child.
Let Israel hope in the LORD
from henceforth and for ever.
By athenacp
A PRAYER FOR LENT

Lord, it is that time of year again when I become aware of my need for you, and of how I have forgotten you since Christmas! I know, Lord, that I'm supposed to mortify myself everyday to remind myself of sin, of suffering, of punishment, of human weakness.
By athenacp
Lent is a time to reflect upon our lives; to see what in our lives may prove to be obstacles to our salvation, and learn how to overcome them; and to do penance for the times when we transgress the Commandments of God. It is also a time of great hope; for it is when we are truly sorry for our sins, and wish sincerely to make amends for them, and avoid them in the future, that we begin to understand the depths of God's Mercy

Lord, God,
Trinity of Love,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
I praise You,
I worship You,
I adore You,
I love You.

Father, Creator,
I thank You for the gift of life.
May I do Your will this day.

Jesus, Son, Savior,
by Your death on the Cross,
You showed me the Father's love.
May I be willing to die to myself
in order to live for You.
May I share Your "Good News" this day
with all those around me.
May Your love be reflected
in every kind word, thought, and deed.
And if I fail, be there to raise me up.

Spirit, Sanctifier,
shower Your life
upon all the peoples of the world.
Grant us the gifts of peace and love.
Amen.

(by Father Paul M. Keeling, CRSP)
By athenacp
<http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... turday.gif>
Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,

Opening Prayer:
Father,
look upon our weakness
and reach out to help us with your loving power.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, you Son

Today's Readings: <http://www.usccb.org/nab/022010.shtml> Isaiah 58: 9b-14; Psalm 86: 1-2, 3-4, 5-6; Luke 5: 27-32

Daily Meditation:
A Saturday of Lent
and more on "True Fasting."
Each of the Saturdays of Lent are more upbeat and "lighter" in tone.
We are preparing for Sunday.

Our reading from Isaiah 58 continues,
as does our self-examination
regarding what true fasting is for us this Lent.

What patterns will I change?

Today's Daily Reflection <http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... 22010.html>

Intercessions:
Let us always and everywhere give thanks to Christ our Savior, and ask him with confidence:
Lord, help us with your grace.
May we keep our bodies pure,
- as temples of the Holy Spirit.
May we offer ourselves this morning to the service of others,
- and do your will in all things throughout the day.
Teach us to seek the bread of everlasting life,
- the bread that is your gift.
May your Mother, the refuge of sinners, pray for us,
- and gain for us your loving forgiveness.

Closing Prayer:
Loving creator,
I am not asking to overcome my weakness,
but to use it in some way to glorify you.

Let me be aware of
the many ways you reach out to help me today
and let me stand in awe of the power
that you use in such loving ways.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
Amen.

With permission from : Creighton U Online Ministries <http://www.creighton.edu/CollaborativeM ... nline.html>
By athenacp
The Passion of Mary

<http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/images/lent03.jpg>

O Lady Mary, thy bright crown
Is no mere crown of majesty;
For with the reflex of His own
Resplendent thorns Christ circled thee.

The red rose of this passion-tide
Doth take a deeper hue from Thee,
In the five Wounds of Jesus dyed,
And in thy bleeding thoughts, Mary.

The soldier struck a triple stroke
That smote thy Jesus on the tree:
He broke the Heart of hearts, and broke The Saint’s and Mother’s hearts in thee.

Thy Son went up the angel’s ways.
His Passion ended; but, ah me!
Thou found’st the road of further days
A longer Way of Calvary.

On the hard cross of hope deferred,
Thou hungst in loving agony,
Until the mortal-dreaded word
Which chills our mirth, spake mirth to thee.

The angel Death, from this cold tomb
Of life, did roll the stone away;
And He thou bearest in thy womb
Caught thee at last into the day-
Before the living throne of whom
The lights of heaven burning pray.

O thou who dwellest in the day,
Behold, I pace amidst the gloom;
Darkness is ever, round my way
With little space for sunbeam-room.

Yet Christian sadness is divine,
Even as thy patient sadness was:
The salt tears in our life’s dark wine
Fell in it from the saving Cross.

Bitter the bread of our repast;
Yet doth a sweet bitter leaven:
Our sorrow is the shadow cast
Around it by the light of heaven!
O Light in light, shine down from heaven!

Francis Thompson Robert, Cyril.
Mary Immaculate:
God’s Mother and Mine.
Poughkeepsie, New York: Marist Press,1946
By athenacp
O Jesus crucified,
for us you suffered, for us you died,
on the cross.

How can we pass by and not care?
It was our sins that nailed him there...
See the crowd unpitying stare,
"Forgive them Father," is his prayer...
Thorns the only crown he must wear,
Thirst and wounds our King must bear...
See our high priest makes his great prayer, Himself the victim, bleeding bare...
Let our lives, by giving, declare;
Amen, Amen to that great prayer...
May we die to sin and so share,
The triumph he enacted there...

On the cross.

(James Phillip McAuley)
By athenacp
Identifying Christ

"What I have written, I have written." John 19:22

Pilate had an inscription placed over Jesus' head that read, "The King of the Jews." But Pilate sticks to his guns in this quote. What he wrote stays. People today still try to chip away at our assertions of who Jesus is. That is when we need to remember that what is written in God's Word about Christ is God-breathed, not the baseless rantings of human beings.

Lord, let your Word - and not the words of skeptics - dwell in me richly. Amen.
By athenacp
The Desire that Jesus Had to Suffer for Us

Baptismo habeo baptizari; et quomodo coarctor, usquedum perficiatur?
"I have a baptism wherewith I am to be baptized; and how am I straitened until it be accomplished?" ----Luke, xii. 50.

I.
Jesus could have saved us without suffering; but He chose rather to embrace a life of sorrow and contempt, deprived of every earthly consolation, and a death of bitterness and desolation, only to make us understand the love which He bore us, and the desire which He had that we should love Him. He passed His whole life in sighing for the hour of His death, which He desired to offer to God, to obtain for us eternal salvation. And it was this desire which made Him exclaim: I have a baptism wherewith I am to be baptized; and how am I straitened until it be accomplished? He desired to be baptized in His Own Blood, to wash out, not, indeed, His Own, but our sins. O infinite Love, how miserable is he who does not know Thee, and does not love Thee!

II.
This same desire caused Him to say, on the night before fore His death, With desire I have desired to eat this pasch with you. By which words He shows that His only desire during His whole life had been to see the time arrive for His Passion and death, in order to prove to man the immense love which He bore him. So much, therefore, O my Jesus, didst Thou desire our love, that to obtain it Thou didst not refuse to die. How could I, then, deny anything to a God Who, for love of me, has given His Blood and His life?

III.
St. Bonaventure says that it is a wonder to see a God suffering for the love of men; but that it is a still greater wonder that men should behold a God suffering so much for them, shivering with cold as an infant in a manger, living as a poor boy in a shop, dying as a criminal on a Cross, and yet not burn with love to this most loving God; but even go so far as to despise this love, for the sake of the miserable pleasures of this earth. But how is it possible that God should be so enamoured with men, and that men, who are so grateful to one another, should be so ungrateful to God?

Alas! my Jesus, I find myself also among the number of these ungrateful ones. Tell me, how couldst Thou suffer so much for me, knowing the injuries that I should commit against Thee? But since Thou hast borne with me, and even desirest my salvation, give me, I pray Thee, a great sorrow for my sins, a sorrow equal to my ingratitude. I hate and detest, above all things, my Lord, the di The Desire that Jesus Had to Suffer for Us

Baptismo habeo baptizari; et quomodo coarctor, usquedum perficiatur?
"I have a baptism wherewith I am to be baptized; and how am I straitened until it be accomplished?" ----Luke, xii. 50.

I.
Jesus could have saved us without suffering; but He chose rather to embrace a life of sorrow and contempt, deprived of every earthly consolation, and a death of bitterness and desolation, only to make us understand the love which He bore us, and the desire which He had that we should love Him. He passed His whole life in sighing for the hour of His death, which He desired to offer to God, to obtain for us eternal salvation. And it was this desire which made Him exclaim: I have a baptism wherewith I am to be baptized; and how am I straitened until it be accomplished? He desired to be baptized in His Own Blood, to wash out, not, indeed, His Own, but our sins. O infinite Love, how miserable is he who does not know Thee, and does not love Thee!

II.
This same desire caused Him to say, on the night before fore His death, With desire I have desired to eat this pasch with you. By which words He shows that His only desire during His whole life had been to see the time arrive for His Passion and death, in order to prove to man the immense love which He bore him. So much, therefore, O my Jesus, didst Thou desire our love, that to obtain it Thou didst not refuse to die. How could I, then, deny anything to a God Who, for love of me, has given His Blood and His life?

III.
St. Bonaventure says that it is a wonder to see a God suffering for the love of men; but that it is a still greater wonder that men should behold a God suffering so much for them, shivering with cold as an infant in a manger, living as a poor boy in a shop, dying as a criminal on a Cross, and yet not burn with love to this most loving God; but even go so far as to despise this love, for the sake of the miserable pleasures of this earth. But how is it possible that God should be so enamoured with men, and that men, who are so grateful to one another, should be so ungrateful to God?

Alas! my Jesus, I find myself also among the number of these ungrateful ones. Tell me, how couldst Thou suffer so much for me, knowing the injuries that I should commit against Thee? But since Thou hast borne with me, and even desirest my salvation, give me, I pray Thee, a great sorrow for my sins, a sorrow equal to my ingratitude. I hate and detest, above all things, my Lord, the displeasure which I have caused Thee. If, during my past life, I have despised Thy grace, now I value it above all the kingdoms of the earth. I love Thee with my whole soul, O God, worthy of infinite love, and I desire only to live in order to love Thee. Increase the flames of Thy love, and give me more and more love. Keep alive in my remembrance the love that Thou hast borne me, so that my heart may always burn with love for Thee, as Thy heart burns with love for me. O burning heart of Mary, inflame my poor heart with holy love.

Source:
THE INCARNATION, BIRTH, AND INFANCY OF JESUS CHRIST, St. Alphonsus Liguori Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, 1927 Redemptorist Fathers spleasure which I have caused Thee. If, during my past life, I have despised Thy grace, now I value it above all the kingdoms of the earth. I love Thee with my whole soul, O God, worthy of infinite love, and I desire only to live in order to love Thee. Increase the flames of Thy love, and give me more and more love. Keep alive in my remembrance the love that Thou hast borne me, so that my heart may always burn with love for Thee, as Thy heart burns with love for me. O burning heart of Mary, inflame my poor heart with holy love.

Source:
THE INCARNATION, BIRTH, AND INFANCY OF JESUS CHRIST, St. Alphonsus Liguori Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, 1927 Redemptorist Fathers
By athenacp
50 Maxims for Obtaining Perfection in the Love of Jesus Christ by Saint Alphonsus Liguori

1. To desire ardently to increase in the love of Jesus Christ.

2. Often to make acts of love towards Jesus Christ. Immediately on waking, and before going to sleep, to make an act of love, seeking always to unite your own will to the will of Jesus Christ.

3. Often to meditate on his Passion.

4. Always to ask Jesus Christ for His love.

5. To communicate often, and many times in the day, to make spiritual Communions.

6. Often to visit the Most Holy Sacrament.

7. Every morning, to receive from the hands of Jesus Christ Himself, your own cross.

8. To desire Paradise and death, in order to be able to love Jesus Christ perfectly, and for all eternity.

9. Often to speak of the love of Jesus Christ.

10. To accept contradictions for the sake of Jesus Christ.

11. To rejoice in the happiness of God.

12. To do that which is most pleasing to Jesus Christ, and not to refuse Him anything that is agreeable to Him.

13. To desire and to endeavor, that all should love Jesus Christ.

14. To pray always for sinners, and for the souls in purgatory.

15. To drive from your heart every affection that does not belong to Jesus Christ.

16. Always to have recourse to the most holy Mary, that she may obtain for us the love of Jesus Christ.

17. To honor Mary in order to please Jesus Christ.

18. To seek to please Jesus Christ in all your actions.

19. To offer yourself to Jesus Christ, to suffer any pain for His love.

20 To be always determined to die rather than commit a willful venial sin.

21. To suffer crosses patiently, saying, "Thus it pleases Jesus Christ."

22. To renounce your own pleasures for the love of Jesus Christ.

23. To pray as much as possible.

24. To practice all the mortifications that obedience permits.

25. To do all your spiritual exercises as if it were for the last time.

26. To persevere in good works in the time of aridity.

27. Not to do, nor yet to leave undone, anything through human respect.

28. Not to complain in sickness.

29. To love solitude, to be able to converse alone with Jesus Christ.

30. To drive away melancholy.

37. Often to recommend yourself to those persons who love Jesus Christ.

32. In temptation, to have recourse to Jesus crucified, and to Mary in her sorrows.

33. To trust entirely in the Passion of Jesus Christ.

34. After committing a fault, not to be discouraged, but to repent and resolve to amend.

35. To do good to those who do evil.

36. To speak well of all, and to excuse the intention when you cannot defend the action.

37. To help your neighbor as much as you can.

38. Neither to say, nor to do anything, that might vex Him. And if you have been wanting in charity, to ask His pardon and speak kindly to Him.

39. Always to speak with mildness and in a low tone.

40. To offer to Jesus Christ all the contempt and persecution that you meet with.

41. To look upon [religious] Superiors as the representatives of Jesus Christ.

42. To obey without answering and without repugnance, and not to seek your own satisfaction in anything.

43. To like the lowest employments.

44. To like the poorest things.

45. Not to speak either good or evil of yourself.

46. To humble yourself even towards inferiors.

47. Not to excuse yourself when you are reproved.

48. Not to defend yourself when found fault with.

49. To be silent when you are disquieted.

50. Always to renew your determination of becoming a saint, saying, "My Jesus, I desire to be all Yours, and You must be all mine."

"The Incarnation, Birth, and Infancy of Jesus Christ", Saint Alphonsus de Liguori
By athenacp
"Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Mt. 4:4)

Repent and Believe

Today we begin our preparation for Easter. The great Easter celebration is the high point of the year in which we enter into the death and rising of Christ. The baptised community must be awakened once more to the meaning of being in Christ. Lent helps us in the struggle against the powers of darkness to be confident that where sin abounded, grace abounds still more.

PERSONAL PRAYER

Lord, Jesus, as I begin the desert journey of Lent give me strength and courage.

Lead me through these days of prayer and penance in such a way that I may worthily come to the celebration of your saving death and glorious resurrection.

Stay with me in time of temptation.

Do not allow me to give way to greed but lead me to generous service. Preserve me from vanity and self glory, and make me humble of heart. Save me from false pride, let me be obedient to your will. Amen.
By athenacp
The Cross Is . . .

the cross is the hope of Christians
the cross is the resurrection of the dead the cross is the way of the lost the cross is the savior of the lost the cross is the staff of the lame the cross is the guide of the blind the cross is the strength of the weak the cross is the doctor of the sick the cross is the aim of the priests the cross is the hope of the hopeless the cross is the freedom of the slaves the cross is the power of the kings the cross is the water of the seeds the cross is the consolation of the bondsmen the cross is the source of those who seek water the cross is the cloth of the naked.
We thank you, Father, for the cross.
By athenacp
Nails meant For Me

The nail was driven through His hand,
Oh the pain that was unjustly dealt.
But much worse was the agony,
Of mankind's sin He felt.

The crown of thorns that tore into His scalp, Was a punctuation to mankind's rejection.
The world denied the King of kings,
A man who attained perfection.

In a moment all was finished,
Christ's work was done,
He had accomplished the Father's will,
That he chose for His only begotten Son.

The nails of pain, He took for our sins, They were nails meant for me, But thanks to God's Grace, The nails of death I will never see.
--Jay Parr
By athenacp
<http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... sunday.gif>
Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,

Opening Prayer:
Let us pray
that this Lent will help us reproduce in our lives
the self-sacrificing love of Christ.

Father,
through our observance of Lent,
help us to understand the meaning
of your Son's death and resurrection,
and teach us to reflect it in our lives.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

Alternate Opening Prayer:
Let us pray,
at the beginning of Lent for the spirit of repentance.

Lord our God,
you formed us from the clay of the earth and breathed into us the spirit of life, but we turned from your face and sinned.

In this time of repentance
we call out for your mercy.
Bring us back to you
and to the life your Son won for us
by his death on the cross,
for he lives and reigns for ever and ever.

The Readings: <http://www.usccb.org/nab/022110.shtml> Deuteronomy 26:4-10; Psalm 91:1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15; Romans 10:8-13; Luke 4:1-13

Daily Meditation:
Bring us back to you.
This week we pray for a renewal of our lives.
We are beginning to be more attentive and alert.
We are trying new patterns.
The difficulties we encounter keep us humble.

Our desire is clear.
We want the "self-sacrificing love of Christ" -
which brings us mercy and healing - to be "reproduced in our lives."
In our journey, we seek to savor the meaning of Jesus' self-less love,
that we might reflect that love to others.
At the end of our journey, we will renew our baptismal promises.
Dying with Jesus in baptism, we have a new life in him.
Today, we desire nothing less than God's re-creating us -
breathing new life into us.

Today's Daily Reflection <http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... 22110.html>

Intercessions:
Let us pray to our loving Redeemer, who gained for us this season of grace.
Let us pray to him, saying:
Lord, create a new spirit in us.

Christ, our life, through baptism we were buried with you and rose to life with you,
- may we walk today in newness of life.
Lord, you have brought blessings to all mankind,
- bring us to share your concern for the good of all.
May we work together to build up the earthly city,
- with our eyes fixed on the city that lasts forever.
Healer of body and soul, cure the sickness of our spirit,
- so that we may grow in holiness through your constant care.

Closing Prayer:

Lord God,
you who breathed the spirit of life within me.
Draw out of me the light and life you created.
Help me to find my way back to you.
Help me to use my life to reflect your glory
and to serve others
as your son Jesus did.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
Amen.

By athenacp
The Word of the Cross

"The word of the Cross, to them that perish, is foolishness; but to them that are saved, that is to us, it is the power of God" (1 Cor. 1, 18).

THE woe and pain of Good Friday, its hope and grace, its message of sorrow and its message of salvation, are summarized and embodied in one sign-----the sign of the Cross. In pagan countries, when the missionary, after elementary instruction, erects the Cross, this symbol makes a powerful impression upon those who see it for the first time; they look up to it with timid reverence and feel themselves strangely attracted and at the same time repulsed.

We are accustomed to the Cross. From earliest childhood it has graven its outlines into the retina of our eye. We cannot recall when and where we saw it first. We encounter it everywhere-----at home, in church, in city and country, in many designs. Thus it has become an everyday sight and makes no special impression on us.

Today is precisely the day, therefore, to examine it closely once more and to allow it to influence our minds and hearts. Gaze upon the Cross. Can there be anything more simple than these two pieces of wood crossing each other, this upright beam to which the cross-beam is fitted at the intersection in the middle? Truly a simple, clear, and regular design. Yet it is the picture of the most striking contrast and contradiction, an eloquent symbol of pain, anguish, and death-----this bare tree, stripped of foliage and branches, with two mutilated stumps of arms. And again the Cross with its firmly knit and straight lines is a picture of strength and solidity, the image of power and of life.

As a picture of pain and death, as a picture of strength and life, the Cross was chosen and determined upon as an instrument of salvation. As a symbol of death and of life, it dominates the career of Jesus and must also dominate our lives. This is what I would like to demonstrate to you, and consequently my entire sermon today shall be summarized in one word, the word of the Cross, of which the Apostle says it is foolishness to them that perish, but the power of God to them that are saved, that is, to us. May it, through the grace of Him Who was crucified and through the intercession of His Sorrowful Mother, be unto us truly the power of God!

The Cross with its hard, rugged lines and its form so barren of comfort and joy, the Cross as a symbol of torture, does not merely dominate the last days of our Saviour's life; it overshadows His entire life. Now and then one sees pictures showing the boy Jesus, in childish yet significant play, in Joseph's workshop, shaping a cross out of sticks and showing it to His Mother or to little John. A pious fancy; but truth is that even the eye of the Child saw the Cross of Golgotha because that Child was endowed with omniscience. And Herod's threat of death, the flight into Egypt, life in exile, the poverty and lowliness in Nazareth-----those were shadows cast ahead by the Cross into the young life of the Saviour, and these shadows lay ever deeper and deeper on His public life and activity and weighed on His sensitive soul. He saw the Cross before Him, close up and sharply defined, in the Garden of Olives, and its sight filled Him with such distress and horror that His heart, throbbing wildly, forced the blood through the pores of His skin.

But the next day the Cross He has foreseen so long is brought forth, He takes it upon His shoulders and bears the heavy burden up to Golgotha, where He is nailed to the Cross. Now He is inseparably joined to it, wedded to it by that fatal torture which even the Romans, who were by no means sentimental, considered the most cruel and terrible method of execution. Never was it more cruel, never richer in pain, never carried out on a more tender or more sensitive organism. Spikes, proverbial for their size and temper, are used to fasten the body, already a mass of wounds as the result of the scourging and the crowning with thorns, and now a Martyrdom begins which surpasses all comprehension.

The unnumbered wounds, torn open at the disrobing, become inflamed on contact with the air; the pain they cause is increased beyond endurance. Four large additional wounds have been inflicted, and these wounds in the hands and feet must bear the entire weight of the body, and incessantly the sharp edges of the nails bore into and rend the tissues. The position of the body is insufferable, yet the slightest movement causes new pains. Not a moment of rest or relief. Wound upon wound. Member by member is tortured. Every muscle is stretched to the utmost and twisted. Then fever-heat, bathing the body in its flames, burning and seething in the wounds and, augmented by loss of blood, causing severe thirst.

And yet, extreme as this torture of the body is, that of the soul is even greater. For Jesus, the innocent, pure and most holy, suffering and death are not sweetened by the sense of innocence as is the case with so many Saints and Martyrs. For the death He is dying is not that of innocence, but of guilt. "Him, Who knew no sin, God hath made sin for us," the Apostle declares (2 Cor. v, 21). He is laden with the sins of an entire world. Therefore the beatifying consciousness of nearness to God departs from Him, and we hear Him calling out pitifully and in fear: "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me!"

St. Chrysostom declares that the death of the Cross was more than mere dying. It is a death in which the throes of pain, the distress, and the anguish of all who have died and who will yet die on earth are united into one. The Cross truly symbolizes the essence and the climax of all suffering and pain in the life of Jesus. It is an eloquent symbol of the most painful contrasts and contradictions. As the two beams stand out boldly one against the other, and cross each other in strikingly opposite lines, thus in the suffering and death of Jesus the greatest contrasts cross and intersect each other: heavenly innocence and frightful suffering in atonement of guilt; divine immortality and human mortality; the sin of mankind and the grace of God; the Divine majesty and man's disgrace and degradation; the sonship of God and man's abandonment by God.

But in being nailed to the Cross these contrasts become a blessing for humanity, being dissolved, eliminated, adjusted, and reconciled. Guilt is wiped out by innocence, sin conquered by grace, shame converted into glory, weakness into strength, suffering into victory, death into life.

At no time did the Saviour accomplish anything greater than on the Cross, where He was unable to move either hand or foot; never did He work greater wonders than when, covered with wounds, He hung on the cross. During His lifetime He raised men from the dead, healed the sick, pardoned individual sinners, enlisted a number of disciples, cast out devils here and there. But in His Passion and death He conquered Death itself, made atonement for sin, redeemed pain, triumphed over Hell, vanquished the world, and drew mankind unto Himself.

It was then that His kingship began-----His reign over the world from the Cross. It was then that He began to fulfill the prophecy: I, when I shall be raised up from earth, will draw all things unto Myself (Jn. xii, 32). This kingship endures through all the centuries and the power of attraction emanating from the Cross is the same today as it was at His death. The Cross itself has become something entirely different from what it was. Once a pillory, it is now the throne of a King; once an accursed tree, it is now a symbol of blessing; once an instrument of death, it is now a tree of life. Aye, this dead, bare, denuded tree of the Cross surpasses all trees of earth in intrinsic power to produce life, fullness of vigor, growth and fruitfulness. It has taken root everywhere and bears fruits of life. The word of the Cross indeed embraces much lowliness, torture, misery and weakness, but also and still more nobility and strength and victorious power. Therefore it is foolishness only to the fools that perish, but to them that are saved-----that is, to us-----it is the power of God.

But the life, the strength, the salvation of the Cross can be shared only by him who also shares it pain and burden. How shall we have a part in it? First, by compassionately bearing the sufferings of Jesus in our hearts; second, by bearing our own cross; and third, by crucifying our evil desires.

To have compassion with the Crucified Saviour has always been considered a sacred duty by Christians. This compassion is never lacking in the lives of the Saints. It has produced an abundance of devotions: the Way of the Cross, the devotion to the Five Wounds, that to the Most Precious Blood, the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary, etc. This compassion once filled the heart of Christ's Mother under the Cross. Each Good Friday it overwhelms the heart of the Church anew and wrings from it the stirring lamentations we heard today.

The wounds of the Saviour, with their bleeding lips, cry out: Have compassion with Him Who suffered so frightfully for you! The drops of blood seeping from the wounds demand one little tear of compassion. The glance of the glazing eyes, the thirsting mouth, plead for one little tear. Jesus does not demand this compassion for Himself, as though He were in need of it, but because you need it.

This compassion must establish the connection between you and His suffering. It is the silver tube leading the painful bitterness of His Passion from His wounds into your heart; but with the bitterness also its healing power. It is for this reason such compassion strengthens and sustains the soul, cleanses it, preserves it from sin, prompts good resolutions, enthuses it to great deeds and sacrifices.

But this compassion, this sorrowing with Christ must become real suffering with Christ, veneration of the Cross a real bearing of the cross. He demands it, and He demands it of all: "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me" (Matt. xvi, 24). "He that taketh not up his cross and followeth Me, is not worthy of Me" (Matt. x, 38). This is the great law of His kingdom which all must obey without exception. "Christ having suffered in the flesh," the Prince of the Apostles admonishes us (1 Pet. iv, 1), "be you also armed with the same thought," that is, expect also to suffer and be as willing to suffer as He was. Accept all the great and small sufferings, cares, labors, trials of life as a cross which God has fashioned for you. Do not try to beg off or to shirk your duty; that would be of no avail. Be your cross yet so hard, and rough at the edges, and difficult to bear-----take it upon yourselves and bear it after Him, touch it to His cross by uniting yourselves to Him in the spirit of sacrifice, penance, patience, and resignation. If you do that, strength will flow like an electric current from the Cross of Christ into yours, and your burden will grow light. Now we come to the most difficult and the most necessary part of our task: to carry our cross is not sufficient; we must crucify the flesh, that is, the evil lust rooted and abiding in the flesh. It is of this duty that St. Paul speaks so frequently and emphatically: "They that are Christ's," he says, "have crucified their flesh with the vices and concupiscences" (Gal. v, 24); the old man must be crucified with Christ, that we may serve sin no longer, (Rom. vi, 6); of himself he says that he was nailed to the cross with Christ, and carried the mortification of Christ on his body; that the world had been crucified to him and he to the world (Gal. ii, 19; vi, 14). Many Christians hear this message, but refuse to take it seriously. They consider such statements exaggerated figures of speech, or have an idea that they apply to religious and priests, but not to the laity. And because they do not regard them seriously, they fail to gain the mastery over concupiscence and become slaves to evil habits, which cause havoc in their lives and ultimately ruin them, body and soul.

No! The mortification and crucifixion of which the Apostle speaks is not an empty phrase, it is a serious duty incumbent on every Christian. When lust fires the flesh with impure images and desires and stirs the blood-----crucify it! crucify it! Think of the Saviour Who did penance in blood and wounds for the sins of the flesh, and raising your eyes to Him, out of love for Him and with His help suppress it, overcome it, mortify it! When sloth, indifference, aversion to prayer are about to cripple your strength and and oppress your soul-----crucify them! Gaze upon the Saviour Who did so much for you in the anguish and throes of death; for His sake, with His strength, arouse yourself, fulfill your religious obligations, work, strive, struggle for the salvation of your soul! If enmity, vengefulness, anger are about to set fire to your thoughts and emotions-----nail them to the cross! Think of the Saviour Who prayed on the Cross: "Father, forgive!" You, too, must forgive! If evil habits bind you with their fetters, despoil your life, and make it seemingly unbearable-----fly to the cross; pray Christ Crucified with all the strength of your soul to grant you the grace to extirpate your evil habits and to conquer them by good habits.

In this fashion must the tree of our life be trimmed with a keen knife and freed from the wild shoots, until it becomes like unto the tree of the Cross and one with it. Then life-giving sap from the Cross will flow into it, and only then will it be able to bear fruits of life, sweet-scented blossoms of joy and interior peace, and delicious fruits of good works, holy practices, glorious virtues-----blossoms and fruits which are not destroyed by death but have eternal life and bring eternal life. Amen.

Source:
THE PASSION
A Sheaf of Sermons Selected from the Writings of RT. REV. PAUL WILHELM V. KEPPLER LATE BISHOP OF ROTTENBURG B. HERDER BOOK CO.
Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, 1929
By athenacp
-2-

Second Beatitude Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted

Mt 11 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:
and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Jn 18 21 Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said. 22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so? {with...: or, with a rod)
23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

Phil 2 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the thongs of others.
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Who, being in the form of God,
thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation,
and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man,
he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

He 5 7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; I in that...: or, for his piety)
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

He 12 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
By athenacp
A PRAYER FOR LENTEN DAYS

Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23, 24

Loving Lord!

Thank You for bringing me into these days of introspection. I take this time to analyse my ways and meditate upon the ultimate sacrifices You have made for me, a grant sinner.

Lord! There were times when I had been so mean to others and when I had lost my patience and integrity. There were times when I had lost faith in You when I had been unfaithful to You without even acknowledging Your sacrificial love for me. Please forgive me for all the sins I have committed against You as well as my fellow-men.

Let me regain the spiritual values I have lost and restore in me the original first love for You. I rededicate myself at Your feet Lord! Search me and fill me with Your divine presence so that my life can reflect the Gospel. Let this Lenten season be a time of restoration and the means for renewed direction and perspective. Please guide me and make me a channel of blessing to others. Thank You for helping me to reflect Your love and sacrifice. In Jesus' name, I pray.

Amen.
By athenacp
"Give us Barabbas!" John 18-40

It was the custom to release one prisoner during the Passover. Pilate gave the crowd a choice: Would it be Jesus or Barabbas? The crowd SHOUTED their answer: Barabbas! So a known criminal was set free. But little did Barabbas know and little did the people know that no one was truly set free until Jesus died on the cross, unlocking the shackles of sin that bound them and breaking the bars of death that held them captive. Only if the Son of God sets us free, will we, too, be free indeed.

Thank you, dear Jesus, for setting me free from sin and death forever. Amen.
By athenacp
Bending Our Will

Lent is a time when we can shatter the deceptions of Satan by holding fast to the righteousness of Christ. Lent is a time for seeing that all of creation is good for guiding us to a greater knowledge of God.
— from The Little Way of Lent
By athenacp
-3-

Third Beatitude Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Lc 19 41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes.
For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation."

Lc 22 41 And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, 42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. 43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. 44 And being in an agony he prayed more
earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
45 And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow, 46 And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation."

Lc 7" 11 And it came to pass the day after, that he went into a city called Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people. 12 Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her.
13 And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. 14 And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise 15 And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.

Zac 12 10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.
In that day shall there be a great mourning in Jerusalem, as the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the valley of Megiddon. And the land shall mourn, every family apart...
13,1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

Jn l2 32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept. Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?

Jn 20 " Mary saw two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him. 14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not"

Ap 21 " 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful."

Is 35" 8 And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein. No lion shall be there, nor any ravenous beast shall go up thereon, it shall not be found there; but the redeemed shall walk there: And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away."

__._,_.___
By athenacp
<http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... monday.gif>
Daily Lent Prayer
"Lord, open my lips,

<http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... Peter.html>

Opening Prayer:
God our savior,
bring us back to you
and fill our minds with your wisdom.
May we be enriched by our observance of Lent.
Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

The Readings: for Monday, First Week of Lent
Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18; <http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/leviticu ... icus19.htm> Psalm 19:8, 9, 10, 15 <http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/psalms/psalm19.htm> ; Matthew 25:31-46 <http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew25.htm>

Daily Meditation:
Bring us back to you.
We repeat our desire that God bring us home from our wandering.
We know that in the confusion that surrounds us and can fill us,
we need the gift of Wisdom.

It is fitting that our very first "lesson" in our faith,
is the last judgment scene that Jesus paints for us.
We will be judged on whether we:
fed the hungry
welcomed the stranger
clothed the naked
comforted the sick
visited the imprisoned.
It is powerful to re-learn this wisdom -
Jesus identifies with each of these "least" cared for.

Who might we feed, welcome, clothe, comfort or visit this week?
As my heart might "resist" this mission,
I might beg to be brought back, with all my heart.

Today's Daily Reflection <http://onlineministries.creighton.edu/C ... 22210.html>

Intercessions:
Praise to Jesus, our Savior; by his death he has opened for us the way of salvation.
Let us ask him:
Lord, guide your people to walk in your ways.

God of mercy, you gave us new life through baptism,
- make us grow day by day in your likeness.
May our generosity today bring joy to those in need,
- in helping them may we find you.
Help us to do what is good, right and true in your sight,
- and to seek you always with undivided hearts.
Forgive our sins against the unity of your family,
- make us one in heart and spirit.

Closing Prayer:
Loving God,
you call us back to you with all of our hearts.
I feel your call for me deep in my heart
and I know you want me back
as much as I want to return.
Please, Lord,
give me the wisdom to know how to return.
Make my journey back to you this Lent
one of grace, forgiveness and gentle love.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil
Amen.