Share your favorite prayers and your most cherished means of connecting with God, including prayers that you wrote.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

The book of the prophet Jeremiah tells about a prophet that was called at a young age to speak in the Name of God during the time of the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians. Jeremiah begins his service when King Josiah was making good reforms for Israel by abolishing idolatry, but after Josiah's death, King Jehoiachin couldn't withstand the invasion of Babylonians by King Nebuchadnezzar, who ordered the destruction of the temple and the exile of the Jews into Babylon. Before the destruction began, the prophet Jeremiah was told by God to remove the ark of the covenant (the holy receptacle containing the tablets of the ten commandments) and hide it. Here is what we know about that event 2 Maccabees 2: 4-8 The same document also tells how the prophet, following a divine revelation, ordered that the tent and the ark should accompany him and how he went off to the mountain (Mount Sinai In Egypt). When Jeremiah arrived there, he found a cave in which he put the tent, the ark, and the altar of incense; then he blocked up the entrance. Some of those who followed him came up intending to mark the path, but they could not find it. When Jeremiah heard of this, he reproved them: "This place is to remain unknown until God gathers His people together again and shows them mercy. Then the LORD will disclose these things, and the glory of the LORD will be seen in the cloud, just as it appeared in the time of Moses and when Solomon prayed that the Place (the temple) might be gloriously sanctified." Throughout his life, Jeremiah was scorned because of his prophecies and was threatened with death many times. During the exile, scholars say that Jeremiah was killed in Egypt.
175. Jeremiah 3:17 (prophecy about the future) At that time they will call Jerusalem the LORD's throne; there all nations will be gathered together to honor the Name of the LORD at Jerusalem, and they will walk no longer in their hardhearted wickedness. In those days the house of Judah will join the house of Israel; together they will come from the land of the north to the land which I gave to your fathers as a heritage.
176. Jeremiah 4:1-2 If you wish to return, O Israel, says the LORD, return to Me. If you put your detestable things out of My sight, and do not stray, then you can swear, "As the LORD lives," in truth, in judgement, and in justice; then shall the nations use His Name in blessing and glory in Him.
177. Chapter 7 of Jeremiah tells of how God told Jeremiah to go and stand at the gate of the temple and tell the people to reform their ways and works so that He could remain in the temple. It was a last warning to the Jews to change or God would withdraw from the temple and would leave them unprotected against their enemies.
Here are some of the passages: Jeremiah 7: 5-14, 30 Only if you thoroughly reform your ways and your deeds; if each of you deals justly with his neighbor; if you no longer oppress the resident alien, the orphan, and the widow; if you no longer shed innocent blood in this place, or follow strange gods to your own harm, will I remain with you in this place, in the land which I gave your fathers long ago and forever.
But here you are, putting your trust in deceitful words to your own loss! Are you to steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury, burn incense to baal, go after strange gods that you know not, and yet come to stand before Me in this house which bears My Name, and say: "We are safe, we can commit all these abominations again"? Has this house which bears My Name become in your eyes a den of thieves? I too see what is being done, says the LORD. You may go to Shiloh, which I made the dwelling place of My Name in the beginning.
++ {Shiloh: original place of worship from the time of Joshua to that of Samuel. The sanctuary was later rejected by God and destroyed by the Philistines.}++
See what I did to it because of the wickedness of My people Israel. And now because you have committed all these misdeeds, says the LORD, because you did not listen, though I spoke to you untiringly; because you did not answer, though I called you, I will do to this house named after Me, in which you trust, and to this place which I gave to you and your fathers, just as I did to Shiloh. I will cast you away from Me, as I cast away all your brethren, all the offspring of Ephraim.
verse 30 The people of Judah have done what is evil in My Eyes, says the LORD. They have defiled the house which bears My Name by setting up in it their abominable idols.

My remark about this passage: Although this was written thousands of years ago, we still struggle mightily against idolatry in popular culture. So many adults and children wear the Nike brand clothing and shoes and hats and sports gear that has the swoosh symbol. Nike is the goddess of victory of ancient Greek mythology and paganism. When children wear the caps on their head (over their minds), shirts over their hearts and shoes on their feet, it must offend the LORD, if only they would wear the scapular or a crucifix instead! Also, the Starbucks siren is from mythology and look at how many people are dependent on those drinks. In my city of 100,000 people, there are 8 starbucks shops with cars lined up in the drive through at all hours of the day and night. Next, the communications corporate giant Time Warner's symbol of eye is rooted in paganism as are many many other corporate symbols... especially offensive is the bitten apple symbol for all Apple products: iphone, ipad, ipod, etc. The bitten apple celebrates the fall of man, original sin, and satan's lie to Eve, "the moment you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like gods who know what is good and what is bad." Lifting up political, entertainment, and religious leaders (and that means the pope, too) to the level of idolatry must also be avoided. How utterly annoying that we have to endure the endless political coverage of Donald Trump, the Clintons, the Obamas and every other glory seeking hog. May God have mercy on us because we are so inundated by the idolatry of this age. We were made to love and serve the divinity of God alone in our mortal lives so that we may be happy with Him forever in heaven.
178. Jeremiah 10: 6, 14-16, 25
verse 6 No one is like You, O LORD, great are You, great and mighty is Your Name.
verses 14-16 Every man is stupid, ignorant; every artisan is put to shame by his idol: He has molded a fraud, without breath of life.. Nothingness are they, a ridiculous work; they will perish in their time of punishment. Not like these is the portion of Jacob: He is the Creator of all things; Israel is His very own tribe. LORD of hosts is His Name.
verse 25 Pour out Your wrath on the nations that know You not, on the tribes that call not upon Your Name; For they have devoured Jacob utterly, and laid waste to his dwelling.
179. Jeremiah chapter 12 is a bit confusing because within chapter 12 some of chapter 11 is transposed within it (and it isn't a publishing error). Basically, some men from Jeremiah's hometown of Anathoth were threatening Jeremiah not to prophesy in the Name of the LORD or he would be killed. The LORD promised to protect Jeremiah and to punish the men who were plotting against him.
Jeremiah 12: 14-16 Thus says the LORD against all My evil neighbors who plunder the heritage which I gave My people Israel as their own: See I will pluck them up from their land; the house of Judah (temple) I will pluck up in their midst. But after plucking them up, I will pity them again and bring them back, each to his heritage, each to his land. And if they carefully learn My people's custom of swearing by My Name, "As the LORD lives," they who formerly taught My people to swear by baal (false god) shall be built up in the midst of My people. But if they do not obey, I will uproot and destroy that nation entirely, says the LORD.
180. Jeremiah's prayer plea to the LORD during a severe drought. Jeremiah 14: 7-9 Even though our crimes bear witness against us, take action, O LORD, for the honor of Your Name- Even though our rebellions are many, though we have sinned against You.
O Hope of Israel, our Savior in time of need! Why should You be a stranger in this land, like a traveler who has stopped but for a night? Why are You like a man dumbfounded, a champion who cannot save? You are in our midst, O LORD, Your Name we bear: do not forsake us!
181. The LORD replied to Jeremiah regarding false prophets at the time who were saying that no punishment would be forthcoming.
Jeremiah 14: 14-15 Lies these prophets utter in My Name, the LORD said to me. I did not send them (the false prophets); I gave them no command nor did I speak to them. Lying visions, foolish divination, dreams of their own imagination, they prophesy to you. Therefore, thus says the LORD: Concerning the prophets who prophesy in My Name, though I did not send them; who say,: Sword and famine shall not befall this land": by the sword and famine shall these prophets meet their end.
182. Jeremiah's plea to the LORD for rain Jeremiah 14: 21-22 For Your Name's sake spurn us not, disgrace not the throne of Your glory; remember Your covenant with us, and break it not. Among the nations' idols is there any that gives rain? Or can the mere heavens send showers? Is it not You alone, O LORD, our God, to whom we look? You alone have done all these things.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just a personal remark, we had been in the grip of a severe drought that lasted four years. It became so bad that my family was going to move. I had lost hope of there being any appreciable rainfall, yet, God in His goodness gave us, in the last year, an abundance of rainfall so much that the reservoirs are full and the vegetation is thriving. May the mercy of God be forever praised. Amen.
183. Jeremiah 15: 16 When I found Your words, I devoured them; they became my joy and the happiness of my heart, because I bore Your Name, O LORD, God of hosts.

(My suggestion is to ask Our Lord to write His Name on your heart today in gold)
185. Regarding Jeremiah's interior crisis Jeremiah 20:9 I say to myself, I will not mention Him, I will speak in His Name no more. But then it becomes like fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it.
186. Jeremiah 23: 5-6 Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will raise up a righteous shoot to David; As King He (foretelling Jesus) shall reign and govern wisely, He shall do what is just and right in the land, in His days Judah shall be saved, Israel shall dwell in security. This is the Name they give Him: "The LORD our justice."
First of all, Happy Holy Trinity Sunday!!! Some of the readings at Mass today emphasize the Name of the LORD. The first reading tells how God came from the cloud and passed before Moses and told Moses His Name: LORD. The psalms glorify the Name of the LORD and the Gospel exhorts us to 'believe in the name of the only Son of God' so that we may saved through Him.

Secondly, I will not post entries for a few days because I won't have internet access, but I'll be back when I do. I hope Our LORD keeps you in the embrace of His Name.

Thirdly, here is the entry for today
This entry gives insight into what Jeremiah was going through. On one hand there were 'prophets' saying that everything was fine in the land, on the other hand was Jeremiah who told the people that a judgement was coming, that they would be scattered, and the temple would be destroyed. He was persecuted for those prophecies. This webpage gives an excellent overview of the life and mission of Jeremiah https://lifehopeandtruth.com/prophecy/p ... e-prophet/
187. Jeremiah 23: 25-27 (God speaking in this chapter shows His utter disdain for false prophets) I have heard the prophets who prophesy lies in My Name say, "I had a dream!" How long will this continue? Is My Name in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy lies and their own deceitful fancies? By their dreams which they recount to each other, they think to make My people forget My Name, just as their fathers forgot My Name for baal (notorious false god that had pervasive influence in the region).
188. The 25th chapter of Jeremiah contains God's commands to Jeremiah to speak to the people about their imminent invasion and captivity to Babylon. One verse speaks of His Name
Jeremiah 25:29 For since with this city, which is called by My Name, I begin to inflict evil, how can you possibly be spared? You shall not be spared! I will call down the sword upon all who inhabit the earth, says the LORD of hosts.
189. Jeremiah 26:8-9, 16, 20 When Jeremiah finished speaking all that the LORD bade him to speak to all the people, the priests and prophets laid hold of him, crying, "You must be put to death! Why do you prophesy in the Name of the LORD: 'This house (temple) shall be like Shiloh,' and 'This city shall be desolate and deserted'?" And all the people gathered about Jeremiah in the house of the LORD.
verse 16 Thereupon the princes and all the people said to the priests and the prophets, "This man does not deserve death; it is in the Name of the LORD, our God, that he speaks to us."
verse 20 There was another man who prophesied in the Name of the LORD, Uriah, son of Shemaiah, from Kiriath-jearim; he prophesied the same things against this city and land as Jeremiah did. (The king sent out a notice that Uriah should be put to death for his prophecies, Uriah fled to Egypt but the king sent someone to bring him back. The king had Uriah put to death by the sword and had his corpse cast into a common grave. Jeremiah, however, was protected and was not put to death at that time.)
190. Here God speaks to Jeremiah about the false prophets: Jeremiah 27:14-15 Do not listen to the words of those prophets who say, "You need not serve the king of Babylon," for they prophesy lies to you. I did not send them, says the LORD, but they prophesy falsely in My Name, with the result that I must banish you, and you will perish, you and the prophets who are prophesying to you.
191. Jeremiah 29:8-23 thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Do not let youselves be deceived by the prophets and diviners who are among you; do not listen to those among you who dream dreams. for they prophesy lies to you in My Name; I did not send them, says the LORD. This is what the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, has to say about those who prophesy lies to you in My Name, Ahab, son of Kolaiah, and Zedekiah, son of Maaseiah: I am handing them over to Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, who will slay them before your eyes. All the exiles of Judah in Babylon will pattern a curse after them: "May the LORD make you like Zedekiah and Ahad, whom the king of Babylon roasted in flames." For they are criminals in Israel, committing adultery with their neighbors' wives, and alleging in My Name things I did not command. I know, I am witness, says the LORD. {Notes on this passage....Ahab and Zedekiah were two prophets against whom Jeremiah uttered an oracle from God for prophesying falsely and for immoral conduct... God judges the conduct of false prophets who pretend to speak in His Name so seriously, that they often lose their lives.}
192. Jeremiah 31:35-36 (God gives assurance of the certainty of His promise) Thus says the LORD, He who gives the sun to light the day, moon and stars to light the night; Who stirs up the sea till its waves roar, whose Name is LORD of hosts: If ever these natural laws give way in spite of Me, says the LORD, then shall the race of Israel cease as a nation before Me forever.
193. Jeremiah 32: 18-20 (Jeremiah praises God) You continue Your kindness through a thousand generations; and You repay the fathers' guilt, even into the lap of their sons who follow them. O God, great and mighty, whose Name is LORD of hosts, great in counsel, mighty in deed, whose Eyes are open to all the ways of men, giving to each according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds: You have wrought signs and wonders in the land of Egypt and to this day, both in Israel and among all other men, until now You have gained renown.
Last edited by maryannlucy on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
194. Jeremiah 33: 2-3 Thus says the LORD who made the earth and gave it form and firmness, whose Name is LORD: Call to Me, and I will answer you; I will tell to you things great beyond reach of your knowledge.
Last edited by maryannlucy on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
195. Jeremiah 34: 15-16 Today you indeed repented and did what is right in My Eyes by proclaiming the emancipation of your brethren and making an agreement before Me in the house that is named after Me. But then you changed your mind and profaned My Name by taking back your male and female slaves to whom you had given their freedom; you forced them once more into slavery.
Last edited by maryannlucy on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
196. Chapter 44 of the book of Jeremiah tells of some of the last prophecies of Jeremiah. By this point, Jeremiah is exiled to Egypt with some other Jews from Judah. Jeremiah laments that the Jews in Egypt persist in idolatry (verses 1-14), they refuse to reform ( verses 15-19), and so Jeremiah then pronounces destruction upon them (verses 20-30).
Jeremiah 44: 26-27 But listen then to the word of the LORD, all you people of Judah who live in Egypt; I swear by My own great Name, says the LORD, in the whole land of Egypt no man of Judah shall henceforth pronounce My Name, saying, "As the Lord GOD lives." I am watching over them to do evil, not good. All the men of Judah in Egypt shall perish by the sword or famine until they are utterly destroyed.
Last edited by maryannlucy on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
197. Jeremiah 46: 18 (An oracle of Jeremiah against Egypt warning of invasion by a country to the north) As I live, says the King whose Name is LORD of hosts, like Tabor among the mountains he shall come (Nebuchadnezzar), like Carmel above the sea.
Note: I restored the thread to the correct sequence

198. Jeremiah 48:15 (Moab, an ancient land area east of the Dead Sea was also prophesied by Jeremiah to be destroyed so as to stir the Moabites to repentance.) The ravager of Moab and his cities advances, the flower of his youth goes down to be slaughtered, says the King, the LORD of hosts by Name.
Jeremiah chapter 50 and 51 speak of prophecies against Babylon. Now that the Jews have been in captivity for decades and show true sorrow and repentance to the LORD, the LORD tells them through Jeremiah that Babylon will suffer and be ruined, while the Jews will be able to hope for their freedom and eventual return to Israel.
199. Jeremiah 50:34 Strong is their avenger, whose Name is LORD of hosts; He will defend their cause with success, and give rest to the earth, but unrest to those who live in Babylon.