Share your favorite prayers and your most cherished means of connecting with God, including prayers that you wrote.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

24. Deuteronomy 10:6-8 [The Israelites set out from Beeroth Bene-jaakan for Moserah, where Aaron died and was buried, his son Eleazar succeeding him in the priestly office. From there they set out for Gudgodah, and from Gudgodah for Jotbathah, a region where there is water in the wadies.] At that time the LORD set apart the tribe of Levi to carry the ark of the covenant of the LORD, to be in attendance before the LORD and minister to Him, and to give blessings in His Name, as they have done to this day.
25. Deuteronomy 10:19-22 So you too must befriend the alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt. The LORD, your God, shall you fear, and Him shall you serve; hold fast to Him and swear by His Name. He is your glory, He, your God, who has done for you those great and terrible things which your own eyes have seen. Your ancestors went down to Egypt seventy strong, and now the LORD, your God, has made you as numerous as the stars of the sky.
26. Deuteronomy 12:10-14 But after you have crossed the Jordan and dwell in the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you as a heritage, when He has given you rest from all your enemies round about and you live there in security, then to the place which the LORD, your God, chooses as a dwelling place for His Name you shall bring all the offerings I command you: your holocausts and sacrifices, your tithes and personal contributions, and every special offering you have vowed to the LORD. You shall make merry before the LORD, your God, with your sons and daughters, your male and female slaves, as well as with the Levite who belongs to your community but has no share of his own in your heritage. Take care not to offer up your holocausts in any place you fancy, but offer them up in the place which the LORD chooses from among your tribes; there you shall make whatever offerings I enjoin upon you.
27. Deuteronomy 12:20-21 After the LORD, your God, has enlarged your territory, as He promised you, when you wish meat for food, you may eat it at will, to your heart's desire; and if the place which the LORD, your God, chooses for the abode of His Name is too far, you may slaughter in the manner I have told you any of your herd or flock that the LORD has given you, and eat it to your heart's desire in your own community.
28. It should be noted that the dwelling place of the Name of the LORD was, at that time, the ark of the covenant...the ark made of acacia wood containing the stone tablets upon which the LORD had written the ten commandments.
Deuteronomy 14: 22-23 Each year you shall tithe all the produce that grows in the field you have sown, then in the place which the LORD, your God, chooses as the dwelling place of His Name you shall eat in His presence your tithe of the grain, wine and oil, as well as the firstlings of your herd and flock, that you may learn always to fear the LORD, your God.
29. Celebrating feasts Deuteronomy 16:2, 16:5-6, and 16:11 You shall offer the Passover sacrifice from your flock or your herd to the LORD, your God, in the place which He chooses as the dwelling place of His Name. 16:5-6 You may not sacrifice the Passover in any of the communities which the LORD, your God gives you; only at the place which He chooses as the dwelling place of His Name, and in the evening at sunset, on the anniversary of your departure from Egypt, shall you sacrifice the Passover. 16:11 In the place which the LORD, your God, chooses as the dwelling place of His Name, you shall make merry in His presence together with your son and daughter, your male and female slave, and the Levite who belongs to your community, as well as the alien, the orphan and the widow among you.
30. Priests and their livelihood; Priests could not be landowners or farmers, but each community may have had a Levite priest within it to minister to the Name of the LORD Deuteronomy 18:1-7 The whole priestly tribe of Levi shall have no share in the heritage with Israel; they shall live on the oblations of the LORD and the portions due to Him. Levi shall have no heritage among his brothers; the LORD Himself is his heritage, as He has told him. The priests shall have a right to the following things from the people: from those who are offering a sacrifice, whether the victim is from the herd or from the flock, the priest shall receive the shoulder, the jowls and the stomach. You shall also give him the first fruits of your grain and wine and oil, as well as the first fruits of the shearing of your flock; for the LORD, your God, has chosen him and his sons out of all your tribes to be always in attendance to minister in the Name of the LORD. When a Levite goes from one of your communities anywhere in Israel in which he ordinarily resides, to visit, as his heart may desire, the place which the LORD chooses, he may minister there in the Name of the LORD, his God, like all his fellow Levites who are in attendance there before the LORD. He shall then receive the same portions to eat as the rest, along with his monetary offerings and heirlooms.
31. With regards to what would happen after Moses passed away, the LORD told Moses there would be prophets after him. Deuteronomy 18:18-22 (The LORD speaking) "I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their kinsmen, and will put My words into his mouth; he shall tell them all that I command him. If any man will not listen to My words which he speaks in My Name, I Myself will make him answer for it. But if a prophet presumes to speak in My Name an oracle that I have not commanded him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, he shall die. If you say to yourselves, 'How can we recognize an oracle which the LORD has spoken?', know that, even though a prophet speaks in the Name of the LORD, if his oracle is not fulfilled or verified, it is an oracle which the LORD did not speak. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously, and you shall have no fear of him."
32. Deuteronomy 21:5 (expiation of the shedding of innocent blood:murder) The priests, the descendants of Levi, shall also be present (in the expiation ceremony), for the LORD, your God, has chosen them to minister to Him and to give blessings in His Name, and every case of dispute or violence must be settled by their decision.
33. Deuteronomy 28:9, 28: 58-59 (part of the final exhortation of Moses before his death and before the Israelites crossed the River Jordan into the Promised Land) Provided that you keep the commandments of the LORD, your God, and walk in His ways, He will establish you as a people sacred to Himself, as He swore to you; so that, when all the nations of the earth see you bearing the Name of the LORD, they will stand in awe of you. 28:58-59 If you are not careful to observe every word of the law which is written in this book, and to revere the glorious and awesome Name of the LORD, your God, He will smite you and your descendants with severe and constant blows, malignant and lasting maladies.
This entry has no reference to the Name of the Lord, but it is interesting because it manifested to the people already in Canaan, the power of God. When the people crossed the River Jordan with the Ark of the Covenant, the River Jordan stopped flowing so they could cross. Joshua 3:14-17 The people struck their tents to cross the Jordan, with the priests carrying the ark of the covenant ahead of them. No sooner had these priestly bearers of the ark waded into the waters at the edge of the Jordan, which overflows all its banks during the entire season of the harvest, than the waters flowing from upstream halted, backing up in a solid mass for a very great distance indeed, from Adam, a city in the direction of Zarethan; while those flowing downstream toward the Salt Sea of the Aragah disappeared entirely. Thus the people crossed over opposite Jericho. While all Israel crossed over on dry ground, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant of the LORD remained motionless on dry ground in the bed of the Jordan until the whole nation had completed the passage.
34. Joshua was the leader of the people now. The Book of Joshua described his time of leading the Israelites. There is just one reference to the Name of the LORD in the Book of Joshua.
The Ark of the Covenant was taken in procession around Jericho and on the seventh day, that settlement fell to the Hebrews. The LORD banned the Israelites from removing any artifacts from Jericho. One person violated the ban. The LORD's favor was removed because of this disobedience. During the next battle at Ai (the next settlement that the Hebrews were going to overtake), they were defeated and had to retreat in humiliation. Joshua cried out to the LORD Joshua 7:9-13 "When the Canaanites and the other inhabitants of the land hear of it, they wll close in around us and efface our name from the earth. What will you do for your great Name?"
The LORD replied to Joshua: "Stand up. Why are you lying prostrate? Israel has sinned: they have violated the covenant which I enjoined on them. They have stealthily taken goods subject to the ban, and have deceitfully put them in their baggage. If the Israelites cannot stand up to their enemies, but must turn their back to them, it is because they are under the ban. I will not remain with you unless you remove from among you whoever has incurred the ban. Rise, sanctify the people. Tell them to sanctify themselves before tomorrow, for the LORD, the God of Israel, says: You are under the ban, O Israel. You cannot stand up to your enemies until you remove from among you whoever has incurred the ban."
There are no references to the Name of the LORD in the Book of Judges, nor in the Book of Ruth. After the death of Joshua, there was no central leader of Israel. This was the period of almost 400 years where the tribes of Israel were ruled by Judges who were militaristic and moral leaders. As the years went on, the worship due to God decreased. There was increased lawlessness and an increase of pagan worship. Israel's enemies started to gain strength against the Hebrews. The last judge was Samuel. After the ark of the covenant was captured by the Philistines for a time and many more battle loses, the people cried out for Israel to be ruled by a king.

35. 1 Samuel 12:20-23 "Do not fear," Samuel answered the people. "It is true you have committed all this evil; still you must not turn from the LORD, but must worship Him with your whole heart. Do not turn to meaningless idols which can neither profit not save; they are nothing. For the sake of His own great Name the LORD will not abandon His people, since the LORD Himself chose to make you His people. As for me, far be it from me to sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you and to teach you the good and right way."
The next passage regards David, the boy destined to be the great King of Israel. David advanced the praise and glory of the Name of the LORD in prayer and song (many psalms composed by David praise the Name of the LORD. The psalms (some of which are composed by David) are often used in the responsorial psalms during the Liturgy of the Word at Mass.
36. 1 Samuel 17:45 David answered him (Goliath's taunt): "You come against me with sword, spear and scimitar, but I come against you in the Name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel that you have insulted."
The second book of Samuel is mainly about the reign of King David. David is anointed king after Saul's death. David established his palace in Jerusalem. If you could read the entire Chapter 6 of the second book of Samuel, it again shows how much we should reverence the Holiness of God.

38. 2 Samuel 6:2 Then David and all the people who were with him set out for Baala of Judah to bring up from there the Ark of God, which bears the Name of the LORD of hosts enthroned above the cherubim.

(When transporting the Ark of the covenant, they transported it on a cart (instead of Levite priests carrying it with poles) and when it began to tip, the attendant touched it to steady it, but was struck dead. This event caused David to pause his plans for the Ark. However, a family housed the Ark for three months and the family was blessed so after hearing that David sent word to bring the Ark into Jerusalem with a festive procession in which David danced and leapt for joy in front of the Ark.)
39. 2 Samuel 6:17-18 The ark of the LORD was brought in and set in its place within the tent David had pitched for it. Then David offered holocausts and peace offerings before the LORD. When he finished making these offerings, he blessed the people in the Name of the LORD of hosts.
40. 2 Samuel 7:12-13 (God gave this prophecy to Nathan to tell David about David's lineage and the words Jesus and Christianity are not in the text, but in the footnotes. )
...And when the time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up an Heir after you, sprung from your loins, and I will make His kingdom firm. It is He (Jesus) who will build a house for My Name. And I will make His royal throne firm forever (Christianity).
41. 2 Samuel 7:26-29 (David talking to God) "Your Name will be forever great, when men say, 'The LORD of hosts is God of Israel,' and the house of your servant David stands firm before you. It is You, LORD of hosts, God of Israel, who said in a revelation to your servant. 'I will build a house for you.' Therefore, your servant now finds the courage to make this prayer to You. And now, LORD God, you are God and Your words are truth; You have made this generous promise to Your servant. Do, then, bless the house of Your servant that it may be before You forever; for You, LORD God, have promised, and by Your blessing the house of Your servant shall be blessed forever."
42. 2 Samuel 22:50-51 part of David's song of Thanksgiving "Therefore will I proclaim You, O LORD, among the nations, and I will sing praise to Your Name, You who gave great victories to Your king and showed kindness to Your anointed, to David and his posterity forever."
Moving on into the first book of Kings, now David's son, Solomon has become King of Israel. Solomon's greatest feat is building the temple dedicated to the Name of the LORD.

43. 1Kings 3:2 However, the people were sacrificing on the high places, for up to that time no temple had been built to the Name of the LORD.
44. The temple was built and ready to dedicate so Solomon made a public prayer to God at the dedication.
1 Kings chapter 8 verses 33, 35, and 41-43.
Verse 33 "If Your people Israel sin against You and are defeated by an enemy, and if they return to You, praise Your Name, pray to You, and entreat You in this temple, listen in heaven and forgive the sin of Your people Israel, and bring them back to the land You gave their fathers."
Verse 35 "If the sky is closed, so that there is no rain, because they have sinned against You and You afflict them, and if then they repent of their sin, and pray, and praise Your Name in this place, listen in heaven and forgive the sin of Your servant and of Your people Israel, teaching them the right way to live and sending rain upon this land of Yours which You have given to Your people as their heritage."
Verses 41-43 "To the foreigner, likewise, who is not of Your people Israel, but comes from a distant land to honor You {since men will learn of Your great Name and Your mighty hand and Your outstretched arm}, when he comes and prays toward this temple, listen from Your heavenly dwelling. Do all that the foreigner asks of You, that all the peoples of the earth may know Your Name, may fear You as do Your people Israel, and may acknowledge that this temple which I have built is dedicated to Your honor."
45. 1 Kings 9:3 The LORD said to him (Solomon): "I have heard the prayer of petition which you offered in My Presence. I have consecrated this temple which you have built; I confer My Name upon it forever, and My Eyes and My Heart shall be there always."
The Second Book of Kings
46. 2 Kings 2:23-25 The Prophet Elisha's curse
From there Elisha went to Bethel. While he was on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up, baldhead," they shouted, "go up, baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the Name of the LORD. Then two she bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the children to pieces. From there he went to Mount Carmel and thence he returned to Samaria.
Keeping in mind that King David reigned about 1000 years before Jesus Christ was born helps in understanding the period of time of the books of Kings. After King Solomon died, the Kingdom of Israel split into two kingdoms. There was the Kingdom of Judah (and Benjamin) which contained Jerusalem and the Kingdom of Israel which contained the ten northern tribes. Each kingdom had a king, some were good but the majority were not. Several of the kings had a man of God, a prophet, to help the king make good decisions for the kingdom.
The following entry is about the 13th king of Judah whose name was Manasseh. He reigned for 55 years from 687 BC to 642 BC.
47. 2 Kings 21: 6-7 He (Manasseh) immolated his son by fire. He practiced soothsaying and divination, and reintroduced the consulting of ghosts and spirits. He did much evil in the LORD's sight and provoked Him to anger. The asherah idol he made, he set up in the temple, of which the LORD had said to David and to his son Solomon: "In this temple and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I shall place My Name forever."