Let everyone know about upcoming Marian and religious events.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By gospinmir
Hello!

The 18th International Youth Festival - Mladifest 18 – will take place in Medjugorje from August 1st to August 6th, 2007. The theme of the encounter is, “Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another” (Jn 13:34) (“Dear children! Today I call you to love. Little children, love each other with God’s love…The risen Jesus will be with you and you will be His witnesses.” - Message of March 25, 2005)

I was wondering does anyone of you visit Medjugorje when such a great event was happening? What are your memories? Also does anyone have a plan to visit Medjugorje at the Youth Festival this year?

God bless you all!
By puddyhuston
Welcome to the forum Gospinmir
I am going to the Youth Festival next week and have been there in 2005 and 2006 and loved it so very much, it is so full of joy and we celebrate Our Lady's birthday while there also. My son is also going as are many other friends from the UK. Medjugorje Vin from this forum is also going with a group from Scotland.
By gospinmir
Dear puddyhuston & John-boy,

thank you for your welcome and for your posts. I must admit that I also love Medjugorje and all about it. Especially I like Mladifest. As puddyhuston have said it is all so full of joy and I truly recommend everyone to come and feel that atmopshere.

God bless you both and all people at this forum!
By starbright
Welcome, Gospinmir. Nice to have you with us.
By Clementine
Hi everyone, I will be going to the youth festival this year. I could do with some help really. I am flying to Dubrovnik on 1st August but not sure how to get to Medjugorje. I know there is a bus service but this won't get to Medj till after 8pm and I don't really want to miss the opening Mass etc.. Does anyone know of anyone who is going from Dubrovnik on that date and could offer me a lift? The alternative is to book a private hire car which would be around 130 euros.
By puddyhuston
That is a shame Clementine, I am getting a taxi from Dubrovnik to Medjugorje just 2 days before you on the 30th July and yes it is costing me 130 euros too.
Most of the UK pilgrims arrive at Split on the 31st July so not sure you will be lucky.
I know Liam said the bus is good but I have never yet used it.
Make sure you join the uk flags and let us know who you are when you get there.
It will be so great to be there once again
By Clementine
Hi, Will you just get a taxi from the airport? Are they always 130 euros? If that's the case then I won't pre book the driver I know and I could just ask on the plane if anyone else is going.

What date are you flying back? I'm going back on wed 8th.

Also I've never been to the youth week before. Any tips on what to pack? Is the weather always hot?
By puddyhuston
Clementine I have prebooked my taxi as I prefer it that way but am sure those at the airport would also take you to Medjugorje but my one speaks perfect English so we can chat and it makes the journey shorter.
I do not know the prices of the others.
It is always hot there in August but you might get the odd thunderstorm so an umbrella is handy.

A little radio is important, though you can buy them there as all of the talks and sermons are translated into each language and you can hear it in English on your radio.

Other than that just summer clothes, oh sorry I just remembered you should bring one jumper for the night we climb Cross mountain as we are up there for some time before the Mass starts at 5am and last year it was really freezing. I got up there much too early maybe by 2am and only had a raincoat to keep warm under. Everyone tries to sleep for a couple of hours up there so you need a warm jumper and a jacket maybe for that night.
I am staying in Medjugorje until the 17th August.

Hope that helps
By Clementine
Hi, Thanks for the info. I've decided to chance it and see if anyone on the plane is going, and if not just get a taxi from the airport.

Wow you're staying til the 17th. That'll be great.

I'm going to get the bus back I think and see what it's like. I think it's only 5 or 10 euros.

Hope you have a great time.
By gospinmir
Dear starbright,
thank you also for your welcome.

Dear Clementine,
I think you shouldn't be worry about taking a bus from Dubrovnik to Medjugorje as it's completly safe and of course much cheaper. You've mentioned that you wouldn't like to be late and miss the opening Mass. I have read a note about departure from bus station from Dubrovnik to Medjugorje and have seen that there are only one bus leaving at 17.15 so I suppose that's the reason why you've said so. But, I suggest you can take a bus from Dubrovnik to Metković (it is rather close to Medjugorje and buses goes frequently) and than from Metković to Medjugorje take a taxi ( I don't know the taxi price). You also have to be aware that you need a taxi from Dubrovnik airport to the bus station which is situated in town - the old part of Dubrovnik (I don't know if there is a bus transport in that direction).

God bless you all and have a nice time in Medjugorje!

p.s. I will try to send you a departure schedule (I have some problems about it) or you can go to http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/voznired.swf and see it!
By Clementine
Hi Gospinmir, I've looked up Metković on a map and it's really quite close to Medjugorje. As you say, looking at the timetable, there are lots of buses from Dubrovnik. Do you know how much the bus to Metković is? Do they accept euros?
By gospinmir
Hi Clementine,

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out how much is the bus ticket from Dubrovnik to Metković, but I've seen how much is from Zagreb to Dubrovnik. It costs about 200 - 230 kunas (Croatian currency) and it is much longer distance then from Dubrovnik to Metković. So, I suppose that the ticket from Dubrovnik to Metković is much cheaper.

1 EURO = 7,306 KUNAS! About euros, you can't pay a ticket in euros, but you can change the money at any exchange office. In Medjugorje you can buy anything in different curreny.

I hope it helps.

Now, I am going on my vacation (in next few hours) and wouldn't be able to read my mail in next few weeks so I believe that you will arrive to Medjugorje without any problems and will enjoy there.

God bless you!!!