Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By Andy08
I read in Janice Connell's book that the visionary Ivanka said she fasts on bread and water for 40 days during lent. She said it in a matter of fact way stating, "It's our custom here, our families have fasted like this for hundreds of years." No wonder Our Lady took notice of Medjugorje.
By OnASpiritualJourney2
I would like to try this, but don't know if I could. Has anyone done this? Would you be willing to share your experience?

Andy I agree - Our Mother chose a place with many families living good Catholic lives.
By mamamary
that is incredible!!! wow...yes, it's no wonder has chosen this part of the world to bring her message!
By Andy08
the book where this quote is called, "Queen of the Cosmos" by Jan Connell. It is a book of interviews with each visionary. The exact quote is on page 45-46.
What do you do during lent? "During lent I fast on bread and water for 40 days just like my relatives have done for several hundred years. I started doing this because the Blessed Mother told me that fasting will stop wars. I know the future of the world not just my own life story but the future of the world.

Tell me about this knowledge concerning the future of the world?
"It is a heavy burden. I know I must pray and fast as the Blessed Mother asks."
By starbright
Oh blimey. :worried
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Starbright imagine if even twenty years ago you knew the future of these past twenty years. Wouldn't you have considered that a burden to know? I know I would have, and yet here we are trying our best to live the messages and putting one foot in front of the other. The Blessed Mother reminds us constantly not to be afraid. :D Just my way of looking at it and putting it in perspective.
By marylover
thanks Andy, just picked up the Queen of the Cosmos. I just bought about 10 new books to read and that is on my list. That is amazing, I personally never knew any one who fasting for such long periods. What a great Lenten gift to Our Lady. I struggle through 2 days a week.
By starbright
Thanks, Spirit. Good point.
By Andy08
Ok, we heard the quote. Fasting that has been done for hundreds of years and I do not think anyone died of malnutrition. Is anyone considering an attempt at the 40 day fast on bread and water this coming lent? I am considering it but have not made a decision yet. I prayed about it in church today and the answer I received is: "Know why you are making this sacrifice and do not start it if you do not intend to finish it." I cannot respond definitively to either of these thoughts. I do not know what the primary intention would be and I do not know that I would not fail. Anyone else considering such a enormous sacrifice?

I will tell you my soul is on fire. I love the church, God, Christ, the Saints, and everything about our faith. I feel like I am being consumed by the Holy Spirit and want only to serve God. 40 days on bread and water will do more for me and the state of my soul than anything I can imagine. It is a holy journey, and internal pilgimage to the Father and Mother and Son. It is denying earth and embracing heaven. And yet, I am reluctant to make this commitment. Your thoughts are always requested. God Bless you all and I hope I'm not too melodramatic, but I am considering this--just would like a companion or two if I can truly anwer the question--why do this. What would be the intention?
By Andy08
I'm going to try to fast more during lent this season. I am not going to attempt 40 days. I don't know if I ever will. I may try 3 days a week or at least 2. I don't really fast every week. Probably only 2 -3 times a month. However, I have noticed the fast getting easier. I fasted yesterday and have been up for 2 hours and have not had desire for food. But I did get a cup of coffee first thing. I long for coffee more than food the day after a fast. My goal for lent is to have one 3 day fast during lent. Perhaps Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Sat. Didn't mean to sound so melodramatic on the last post.
By scottishguy
i am struggling on a Fri to fast - it was easier last year - i think because it is still winter it makes it a bit harder

last year i remember on both Wed and Fri i was fasting with no problems

now i struggle and have given up and eaten other things

hopefully spring will come soon and it will be easier again

i take my hat off to the people of Medjugorje when fasting for all 40 days on just bread and water - amazing!!

yes Mary was right - so many true believers there!!

wish i was like them