Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By Andy08
I was wondering what some of those who fast do to increase success. Do you employ any strategies other than praying? I said in a previous post that I go to bed earlier to shorten the day. i do not eat at midnight, I wait until the following day to eat--when I succeed that is.

I also read about fasting. I have two tattered books on fasting. Fr. Barbaric's little book that I bought in 1988 called Fasting. And a book called God's Chosen Fast by arthur Wallis--he's not Catholic. Wallis talks about fasting for 3 days, 10 days, and even 21 days--ouch. I just stick to wednesdays for now. The Wallis book sites bible quotes that relate to fasting so that helps too. It was originally published in 1968 but has had 9-10 reprintings. I usually just read a few pages of one of these books. It just reinforces the value of fasting.

These things seem to help. I also have a long work day on Wed so keeping busy helps distract me from hunger. Of course pray pray pray, I try to go to mass and receive communion if possible.

I am coming to love these activities. Things i did not like to do in my youth I finally am coming to understand, accept, and cherish in my old age. I love to fast, I love going to mass, I love going to confession. I feel truly blessed with the gifts the church provides for us all.
By mariavulic
When i fast, ( i must admit i have a coffee in the morning as a kick start ) i think of how many people go without much food in their life. I thank God that i live in Australia which i have access to plenty of food and even grow my own food...how lucky we are.! I picture a small child who only has tea or rice to eat or a neglected child in the world and i feel i must suffer along with them if only on Wednesdays and Fridays.

God Bless
Maria
By dad2seven
I think it is important not to push it too hard but rather build up to more severe fasts. About 15 or 20 years ago I started fasting regularly on bread and water but it used to knock me around so much I stopped after a short while. Now I fast just about everyday but only on small things like avoiding sweets while everyone around me eats them or going without sugar in coffee or eating small meals etc. At the end of it I do feel like I have offered a loving gift even though it is small rather than a massive suffering which makes me feel slightly resentful.

I think the idea is to build up to it by pushing yourself a bit but not too much to cause you to give up.
By Ursus
If I am fasting I will always eat after midnight,,,
that is irelevant,you can set any time and do it till then,what is important is not to seduce people around you.
What I see is that when someone is fasting he become angry .If you have problems with it,if it is too hard,solution is this what dad2seven said...litlle buy litlle.Gospa is saying the same,when you start to pray,first month 7 Our Father a day,next month double, then one rosary a day....so doing you will not loose spirit.
Important is whatever you do,you should do in the way that you will not upset people around you...it is what Jesus want...some people think that they have duty to talk to everyone about their religion or Jesus...you must recognize situation, if you will upset people it is WRONG.
Fasting should be hard,but it is not desirable to be fanatic...holiness is not possible to achive with efforts.
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Welcome to the forum Ursus! How blessed you are to live in Medjugorje! Are the spring flowers in bloom there now?

Regarding fasting I believe that all our efforts count in helping Mary in her causes. It's not about doing it perfectly, it's about doing it. I feel the same way about prayer - if I only prayed when I could avoid any distractions and never allow my mind to wander and totally absorb myself in each and every mystery, then I'd never end up praying.

It's like the Nike ad - just do it! :D
By Ursus
Thank you on welcome!
There were flowers,but recently it is raining every little.

Be born in here is also a burden,like Jesus said it will not be the same judge for those who received more grace and for those who received less.
Gospa said for visionaries that they are not sure they will come to heaven.

I agree with you,especially:

Regarding fasting I believe that all our efforts count in helping Mary in her causes

But-with joy endure difficulties.
By OnASpiritualJourney2
You're right - to whom much has been given, much will be expected. But how wonderful to be living where Heaven meets earth and the graces are flowing!

Yes sacrificing with joy is important! :D
By Mags
Ursus wrote:If I am fasting I will always eat after midnight,,,
that is irelevant,you can set any time and do it till then,what is important is not to seduce people around you.
What I see is that when someone is fasting he become angry .If you have problems with it,if it is too hard,solution is this what dad2seven said...litlle buy litlle.Gospa is saying the same,when you start to pray,first month 7 Our Father a day,next month double, then one rosary a day....so doing you will not loose spirit.
Important is whatever you do,you should do in the way that you will not upset people around you...it is what Jesus want...some people think that they have duty to talk to everyone about their religion or Jesus...you must recognize situation, if you will upset people it is WRONG.
Fasting should be hard,but it is not desirable to be fanatic...holiness is not possible to achive with efforts.
Hello Ursus.
Welcome to the forum. Its lovely to meet you :D
I was greatly encouraged by what you have written about fasting, and how to pray without getting discouraged....You speak with real wisdom thank you so much. :D
By Andy08
I usually strugglen in the evening when I fast, but yesterday I knew there was no bread in the house so I stopped at the bakery and brought home some warm, right out of the oven wheat bread. It made the fast much easier. I usually eat any old stale bread that's around but I may make an effort to find bread that doesn't taste like cardboard. I think that will help ease the fast a little.
By Ursus
Hello Ursus.
Welcome to the forum. Its lovely to meet you
I was greatly encouraged by what you have written about fasting, and how to pray without getting discouraged....You speak with real wisdom thank you so much.

Thank you on you're welcome, i'm glad that i can help. :D

One slice of white bread have more calories than 1.slice of rye bread.But white bread act like "in and out", it means that he have very fast degradation.Due to laws of nutrition, very quick after you eat it you will probably feal more exhausted then before.
On the other hand, rye bread have very slow degradation.Result is more energy through all day.
If that is what you want: with rye bread you can fast much easier.
By roses4mary
I have heard of fasting done from sunrise - sunset. Like the jewish sabbath. Lets not forget that our Blessed Mother was jewish and would probably have fasted herself from sunrise-sunset. It is how I plan on fasting. Although I have to admidt.....I get the worse headaches when I dont eat. Do we eat the bread when we feel we need it or only at certain times of the day or only a certain amount during the fast?
By jules***
i am very new to this, i just came home from an amazing week in Medjugorje at the end of april. it was life altering to say the least.

my prayer life has been enriched, holy mass holds all new meaning to me, confession....i am seriously struggling with the notion of fasting however, i really want to, feel the need and call to fast, but having tried it once, i failed miserably. i do try to offer up sacrifices, with doing without all the snacking...ect. still have a ways to go! in medjugorje i didn't even think of food, and even forgot to eat! i wish this was the case at home...
By Andy08
I try to fast until the following morning. THe evening is the most difficult so I just go to bed earlier and get to sleep without eating until the next day. Ironically, I'm rarely very hungry the next morning, but my morning coffee tastes extra delicious following a fast day. I'm not saying this was is better way to fast; it's just the way I feel compelled to do it.

Sr. Emmanuel has a CD on fasting that is very good; it's motivating and inspiring. She really makes the value of the fast clear. After listening to her point of view she turns fasting from a difficult task or chore into a blessing and a joy. You can find it at: Childrenofmedjugorje.com. Actually I have a lot of her CD's. I listen to her on my way to work. I haven't heard a bad one yet. I wish there were more CD's to listen to about Medjugorje. Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Andy
By NOBLE WOMAN
A fast that will last is one that is ever changing. Example: I once fasted on bread and water for a whole month. I learned to give up sweets and I did try to eat one normal meal and another smaller one a day.
Yet now God is in charge and I let HIM TELL ME what i should do, why because I am diabetic and the way I eat is how I keep myself alive since I can not take the medicine for diabeties. And what He told me is stop whimperin over your not eating bread and water, instead eat as little as possible (Help! fear always sets in when I get a dizzy spell!). I also remember reading that some of the saints ate bitter herbs and veggies instead of bread, I guess they were like me. I Like bread!
Yet the greatest gift of understanding fasting was when Jesus let me know that He wanted me to fast from my sins. To fast from that which kept me seperated from Him and the Trinity. The tears can still fall, what more of myself is truly a fast than mortifiying my very soul unto dust before God.