Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By karend61
does anyone else who fasts feel alone? i sometimes feel that no one else is fasting!!! i dont know anyone else who does in my immediate circle of family and friends so therefore i feel alone.

i believe the medjugorje messages with all my heart and soul. however, am i being too much of a religious fanatic because i fast? the devil wants me to believe that, but i continue to fast on bread and water (and tea!) but then i wonder, am i the only one out there who fasts on wednesdays & fridays?

i would appreciate your input.

love to all!
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Karen our priest had a very powerful sermon this past Sunday about Satan. He pointed out that he doesn't so much try to make us do the wrong thing, since we can confess and be forgiven, but he makes us doubt. When we doubt, it's him at work. Doubt brings us away from God more than our wrong actions. Wish I had the right words and way to say this, but that was what I took away from the sermon, among other things.

You're not alone, but you're right that not many do fast - or at least not many in the US, from what we've seen. Keep up the good work as the Blessed Mother has asked. There's a poll that was done - in the Medjugorje section - and you can see from that that there are others fasting as well.
By cori
Hi Karen,
I had never been taught about fasting until Medjugorje. So, I don't think most average people do it. And, it's very difficult to do, so in working on the 5 stones, it's one of the last ones I'm trying to get my arms around. Also my fast is typically not on bread and water, but on stubborn sins I'm trying to eliminate from my life. For lent I'm adding the Wed/Friday bread and water (and coffee) fast. I was successful last week but not this week. I hope I have a better week next week!!

I don't know of anyone else (family, friends, etc.) who fasts. But most people on this forum are or are trying to fast. Sometimes however, the fasts are not on bread and water (i.e. tv, internet, stubborn sins, etc.).
By Seeker100
Karen,
do not feel alone. Fasting may be much more prevalent than you think, not in society as a whole, but among more religious people. But Jesus said we should not appear to others to be fasting, so speaking for myself only, I try not to let on with others that I actually do fast. I'm sure many others do the same.

All I know is that it's not easy--which is the point behind it, I suppose. Today is Friday, and I am so hungry I could eat a horse! It's painful, but not nearly as painful as what the Poor Souls are suffering. When I think of them, it's easier to endure.
By motherofthreeangels
Hi Karen,
I agree with many of the other postings here. Right now, I am just getting started with fasting. My spiritual director (priest) said it is ok to just start out with small steps, and not expect to do everything at once. The Blessed Mother will understand and knows your heart and the sincere effort being put forth. So, I have been taking it slowly and I am looking forward to the day when I will be able to do Wed and Fri completely! God bless!
By karend61
thank you all for sharing your thoughts on fasting!
i just needed some feedback to keep me going to realize that i am
not fasting in vain.

i do know that it is difficult and we shouldn't appear to others as fasting.

i am grateful that i found this forum, to share with other like-minded souls.

we all must persevere to do what is the right thing for each one of us, whether it be on bread and water, tv, sins, etc. always keeping Him in the center of it all!
:D
love to all my new friends!
By MRSTOL
Hello All,
I am a new member but a very old Blessed Mother's Child. I have been to Medjugorje 4 times. Twice with my son and once with my husband. My first trip was in 1988 and my most recent trip in 2008. Hope to go this April during the feast of Devine Mercy.
Fasting is very difficult whatever medium one chooses. Bread and water, sin or other means of fasting is a struggle.
I have given up things for life in order for my miracle to happen. Now I am trying bread and water on Wednesdays and Fridays. Thinking of my miracle keeps me fasting. I think of of the outcome when I want to give up or give in.
Please pray for my miracle according to God's will and I will pray for you'lls

Love in Christ,
MrsTol
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Welcome to the forum MrsTol - praying for you! :D
By karend61
thank you mrs tol, i will pray for your miracle!
i appreciate your input about fasting.
it inspires me to continue.
Gods peace,
karend
By Francis86
I try my best to fast on these days. It's a little bit hard having a family of 8 people! My mother is always making sure we have a good hearty meal..so i'm happy to call off the fast and have a feast with my family instead! :P I know God will be happy, as long as we do everything out of Love for Him. I can always fast on other things aswell.
By Andy08
Cori,

It has been my experience that I fast on bread and water and ask Our Holy Mother to take a way the persistent sin. It vanished like the wind with ease. She can work wonders with our prayers and sacrifice.

Good luck,

Andy
By Andy08
Cori,

It has been my experience that I fast on bread and water and ask Our Holy Mother to take a way the persistent sin. It vanished like the wind with ease. She can work wonders with our prayers and sacrifice.

Good luck,

Andy
By Andy08
Cori,

Good luck,

Andy
By aoise
On fast days, I usually try and remember that at the very least, the visionaries are also fasting and that helps me ! Once, when Jakov was giving a talk to pilgrims and mentioned fasting, he said 'today is friday, we don't laugh so much on friday'. Everyone knew what he meant ! :lol:
By NancyD
Dear Karen,
I know how you feel, but I assure you, you are not alone. I am new to fasting , but I find joy in doing it for our Lord. I came back from Medjugorje in October, and I just started fasting last week. I'm a little late in starting the fast. Karen, think of this, there are over 34 million people who went to Medjugorje and fasting has been a central message since the beginning. Do you think you are alone in sacrificing your comfort? No,. While we don't see others do it even in our own family, we are in communion with millions are fasting for the love of Jesus and Mary.

Keep it up because you are doing much to save all of us!
Fast with Joy! God bless you,
Nancyd
By karend61
nancyd,
thank you so much for your reply. i know that i am doing the right thing, in my heart i truly believe that i am. your post has made me feel that i am on the right path. a little reassurance and encouragement from our fellow medjugorje friends helps us to persevere. that is all i was asking and you provided that for me.
thank you!
karen d
:)
By Maryh
Thanks Karen61...you've inspired me too.
I also felt alone about it & it was more difficult to have it in my awareness each week.
The last time i tried to fast it went amazingly straight-forward.
I made a start anyways and did it with some tea and bread..tea because it was cold but i'll try to improve my fasting as time goes on.
I could get about my business as usual because of having the bread-i often wondered what the idea of having the bread was,,,but obviously it helps to not get all weak or wobbly etc. i didnt' have too much of it & i used a 'pita' bread variety & i had some just before bed & again in the morning and afternoon. The usual fast is to start from 6pm the evening before..isn't this correct?
Anyways
Best of luck with your fasting!! :D
By Andy08
Karen,

Another suggestion is to find a partner to fast with. It can be someone in your church or someone who also is trying to live the messages. I fast with one friend in another state. We send each other a quick email on Tues to say if we will be able to make the attempt or not, what our intentions are and then we fast. I will say that before fasting with a friend I often failed. With a companion I rarely fail. It just slowly becomes part of the rhythm of your life. No one else in my family fasts but the other day my teenage son asked me on Tuesday if I wanted him to pick up the bread I eat on Wednesday for fasting. This was amazing to me. I didn't think he was paying attention, I don't make a big deal about it, but I guess he's been watching and hopefully he too will believe in Medjugorje at some point. Jesus said, "When two or more of you are gathered in my name I am with you." I find this to be so very true.

Also, prayer is really helpful on fast days. If you can get to mass and receive communion that is very powerful in reducing hunger. I have been locating different Adoration Chapels around town. I try to pray before the Eucharist on fast days if I can. These activities remind me why I am doing what I'm doing. The fasting brings me closer to God and the praying makes the fasting easier. Fasting seems to be much easier on days I am able to receive communion or at least pray in Eucharistic Adoration.

Finally, make an effort to get really good fresh bread. Preferrably made of whole grains. It's important to have fresh tasting bread. Sometimes I toast it, sometimes I heat it in the microwave. These are little ways to add some variety without breaking the fast. Getting the bread on Tuesday is sort of a precurser to my commitment to fast on Wed. It starts the process and prepares me for Wednesday. I haven't graduated to fasting two days a week regularly.

Good luck and persevere,

Andy
By karend61
andy,
thank you so much for your reply to my post. it was very helpful and interesting. funny, i have just purchased a book about the spirituality of fasting and one of the things it speaks of is fasting as a community. which is one point you lit upon in your post.

i must say that by me mentioning that i feel alone for a topic headline, all the posts i have received, and continue to receive (bless you all!!!) help me to continue as i can see that i am not alone! this board in a sense is my community currently.

but to further my success i think i will seek out my friends who have been to medjugorje and see if they would like to
start a community of fasting. (i myself have never been, but know of others who have). your post has helped me raise up my 'fasting bar' so to speak and become more diligent in my quest for a deeper commitment to my God, my own life and what i have recently discovered by fasting : the deeper commitment to charity and a more meaningful relationship to my fellow man. the fruits of the fast are amazing. never would i have guessed the blessings that would come.

i only thought fasting was a way to sacrifice something but have seen the fruits from the sacrifice. it is so beautiful, this wonderful life i keep discovering and living!

please, do not misinterpret what i am saying in this post. i am not saying this as a gloating way to speak of fasting. but a way to encourage my medjugorje friends to work on those 5 little stones because the gifts are amazing. those stones are there for a reason. i encourage those who read this who do not fast, to try it. it takes time to succeed. but i know you will not regret it.
Praise be to God!
By mamamary
a fasting buddy is a great idea! it reminds me of what i read about fast days in medjugorje, how the whole community is involved, they have a special 'fast bread' that they make and distribute on fast days. when more people are involved, and power of the offering becomes exponetial!