Our Lady asks us to fast, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Moderators: Andy08, mamamary

By bluecross
I read some good advice recently for those wishing to make sacrifices.

Jesus apparently once advised someone wanting to sacrifice, to focus on the joy that the sacrifice gives Him (big or small) and not focus on the sacrifice itself.

Makes sense to me. I think there is too much focus and attention given to the mechanics of the bread and water fast and not enough on the joy. Most of the accounts I read on this forum about fasting speak only of the difficulties and hardship.

It’s like focusing on the agony and pain of the cross but not being aware of the outcome and the reason why Jesus made this sacrifice – out of love. And with love comes joy.

So why not try focusing on the positives and the end result rather than the mechanics – the joy our sacrifice brings to the Lord.

Let’s be joyful also in our approach to serve the Lord in this way.
Last edited by bluecross on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By aoise
Yes, this is a very valid point Bluecross and something I have been trying to focus on lately. I remind myself that if my late mother had asked me to do something, I would not hesitate to do whatever it was, such was my love for her. Well, its no different with my heavenly Mother....just that she asks me twice a week :D :D every week :D :D
By rising_suns
Great post and message! Fasting is the best kept secret of the saints and a spiritual treasury for conversion. The more people fast, the more souls will be saved. This formula could not be more simple.

Last edited by rising_suns on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Andy08
Once pain and sacrifice have sacredness they have purpose. Wth purpose brings great value and strength to endure. Each visionary has a mission. This is clearly by design and I have come to embrace the activity of praying for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. I spend a lot of prayer time and sacrifice in their service. I pray for other things too, but it is strange, I asked in prayer what my prayerful mission should be and the next thing you know someone told me about Maria Simma's book (probably heard about it on this forum), then a CD on purgatory came to my awareness, then the next thing you know I'm creating a list of dead people to pray for and in an instant I had my mission. I have no doubt that this mission is sent clearly and directly from Our Lady. I take it seriously. Fasting is a component of my mission and I offer it to Our Lady for the holy souls.

Pax Domini,

Andy
By bluecross
bluecross wrote...
Jesus apparently once advised someone wanting to sacrifice, to focus on the joy that the sacrifice gives Him (big or small) and not focus on the sacrifice itself.
Dear children! For these days while you are joyfully celebrating the cross, I desire that your cross also would be a joy for you. Especially, dear children, pray that you may be able to accept sickness and suffering with love the way Jesus accepted them. Only that way shall I be able with joy to give out to you the graces and healings which Jesus is permitting me. Thank you for having responded to my call. Medjugorje message, September 11, 1986
By Andy08
Also, there may have been a time in your life when you suffered but were unaware of the value of this suffering and did not know to offer it up with love. YOu can still offer it after the fact for an intention. I never pondered this idea or even considered it, but in a talk by Sr. Emmanuel she recommends this idea. I believe she attributed it to a private conversation she had with Vicka. I guess in eternity there is no "when".

Andy
By MRSTOL
I delete this post
Last edited by MRSTOL on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By rising_suns
Andy08 wrote:Once pain and sacrifice have sacredness they have purpose. Wth purpose brings great value and strength to endure. Each visionary has a mission. This is clearly by design and I have come to embrace the activity of praying for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. I spend a lot of prayer time and sacrifice in their service. I pray for other things too, but it is strange, I asked in prayer what my prayerful mission should be and the next thing you know someone told me about Maria Simma's book (probably heard about it on this forum), then a CD on purgatory came to my awareness, then the next thing you know I'm creating a list of dead people to pray for and in an instant I had my mission. I have no doubt that this mission is sent clearly and directly from Our Lady. I take it seriously. Fasting is a component of my mission and I offer it to Our Lady for the holy souls.

Pax Domini,

Andy
Dear Andy,
Glad you shared this. It is good to see that you are taking the requests of Our Lady seriously. As Our Lady said, when God comes down to visit the world, it is not something to take lightly.

Last edited by rising_suns on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Andy08
If anyone is interested, there in a great CD by Sr. Emmanuel about the holy souls and purgatory where she actually interviewed Maria Simma. (I forget te actual title but if you search Childrenofmedjugorje.com you'll see it there.)It is really well done and I highly recommend it. I know Maria Simma can be contraversial per her strong opinion against Communion in the Hand but Sr. Emmanuel cleans that up and omits it in the CD. I think everyone should lsiten to this CD. Discussion of purgatory are often neglected in out modern world.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Andy