Share your favorite prayers and your most cherished means of connecting with God, including prayers that you wrote.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

By athenacp
Prayer To Jesus And Mary For The Holy Souls

MOST LOVING Jesus, I humbly beseech Thee that Thou wouldst Thyself offer to Thine eternal Father, on behalf of the Holy Souls in Purgatory, Thy Most Precious Blood, which poured forth from the Sacred Wounds of Thine adorable Body, together with Thine agony and death.

And do thou likewise, O sorrowful Virgin Mary, present unto the Heavenly Father, together with the dolorous passion of thy dear Son, thine own sighs and tears, and all the sorrows thou didst suffer in His suffering, in order that, through the merits of the same, refreshment may be granted to the souls now suffering in the fiery torments of Purgatory, so that, being delivered from that painful prison, they may be clothed with glory in Heaven, there to sing the mercies of God for ever and ever. Amen.

Absolve, O Lord, the souls of all the faithful departed from every bond of sin, that by Thy gracious assistance they may deserve to escape the judgement of vengeance and enjoy the blessedness of everlasting light. Amen.

__._,_.___
By athenacp
Prayer for The Departed

By Saint Alphonsus Mary de Liguori

MY GOD! I recommend to Thee the souls of my relations, my benefactors, my friends and my enemies, and of those who are in Purgatory on my account.

I recommend to Thee the souls of evangelical labourers, of Religious and priests, and especially of those who had charge of my soul.

I recommend to Thee the souls of those who were most devout to the passion of Our Lord, to the Blessed Sacrament, to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the souls who are most abandoned, those who suffer most, and those who are nearest to the entrance into paradise.
By athenacp
Free the Souls in Purgatory

Eternal Father,
I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus,
in union with the Masses said throughout the world today,
for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory,
for sinners everywhere,
for sinners in the Universal Church,
those in my own home and within my family.
Amen.

Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great, that prayer would release 1,000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said. The prayer was extended to include living sinners which would alleviate the indebtedness accrued to them during their lives.
__._,_.___
By athenacp
Indulgence for the Souls in Purgatory to Honor Our Lady

Holy Mary, help the helpless (Sancta Maria, succurre miseris)
Holy Mary, help the helpless, strengthen the fearful, comfort the sorrowful, pray for the people, plead for the clergy, intercede for all women consecrated to God; may all who keep your sacred commemoration experience the might of your assistance. (Roman Breviary) partial indulgence.

Mary, Mother of Grace (Maria, Mater gratiae)
Mary, Mother of grace, Mother of mercy, Shield me from the enemy And receive me at the hour of my death. (Roman Ritual)
partial indulgence.

We fly to your patronage, O holy Mother of God; despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin. partial indulgence.

Hail, Holy Queen (Salve, Regina)
Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy; hail our life, our sweetness and our hope. To you do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To you do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious Advocate, your eyes of mercy toward us. And after this our exile show unto us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. (Roman Breviary)
partial indulgence.
By athenacp
Indulgence for the Souls in Purgatory to Honor St Joseph

Litany of St. Joseph
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God, the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God, have mercy on us..
Holy Mary, pray for us.
St. Joseph, pray for us.
Renowned offspring of David, pray for us.
Light of Patriarchs, pray for us.
Spouse of the Mother of God, pray for us.
Chaste guardian of the Virgin, pray for us.
Foster father of the Son of God, pray for us.
Diligent protector of Christ, pray for us.
Head of the Holy Family, pray for us.
Joseph most just, pray for us.
Joseph most chaste, pray for us.
Joseph most prudent, pray for us.
Joseph most strong, pray for us.
Joseph most obedient, pray for us.
Joseph most faithful, pray for us.
Mirror of patience, pray for us.
Lover of poverty, pray for us.
Model of artisans, pray for us.
Glory of home life, pray for us.
Guardian of virgins, pray for us.
Pillar of families, pray for us.
Solace of the wretched, pray for us.
Hope of the sick, pray for us.
Patron of the dying, pray for us.
Terror of demons, pray for us.
Protector of Holy Church, pray for us.
Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world, spare us, O Lord!.
Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world, graciously hear us, O Lord!.
Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. .
V. He made him the lord of his household.
R. And prince over all his possessions.
Let us pray. O God, in your ineffable providence you were pleased to choose Blessed Joseph to be the spouse of your most holy Mother; grant, we beg you, that we may be worthy to have him for our intercessor in heaven whom on earth we venerate as our Protector: You who live and reign forever and ever. R. Amen.
By athenacp
Indulgence for the Souls in Purgatory to Honor the Resurrection

The Te Deum (Te Deum)
O God, we praise you, and acknowledge you to be the supreme Lord.
Everlasting Father, all the earth worships you.
All the Angels, the heavens and all angelic powers,
All the Cherubim and Seraphim, continuously cry to you:
Holy, holy, holy, Lord, God of Hosts!
Heaven and earth are full of the Majesty of your glory.
The glorious choir of the Apostles,
The wonderful company of Prophets,
The white-robed army of Martyrs, praise you.
Holy Church throughout the world acknowledges you:
The Father of infinite Majesty;
Your adorable, true and only Son;
Also the Holy Spirit, the Comforter.
O Christ, you are the King of glory!
You are the everlasting Son of the Father.
When you took it upon yourself to deliver man,
You did not disdain the Virgin's womb.
Having overcome the sting of death,
you opened the Kingdom of Heaven to all believers.
You sit at the right hand of God in the glory of the Father.
We believe that you will come to be our Judge.
We, therefore, beg you to help your servants whom you have
redeemed with your Precious Blood.
Let them be numbered with your Saints in everlasting glory.
Save your people, O Lord, and bless your inheritance!
Govern them, and raise them up forever.
Every day we thank you.
And we praise your Name forever; yes, forever and ever.
O Lord, deign to keep us from sin this day.
Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us.
Let your mercy, O Lord, be upon us, for we have hoped in you.
O Lord, in you I have put my trust; let me never be put to shame.

A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who recite the Te Deum in thanksgiving.

But a plenary indulgence is granted, if the hymn is recited publicly on the last day of the year.
By athenacp
PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SOULS

O Lord Jesus Christ, King of glory, deliver the souls of all the faithful departed from the pains of hell and from the bottomless pit; deliver them from the lion's mouth, that hell not swallow them up, that they fall not into darkness, but let the holy standard bearer Michael bring them into that holy light which You promised to Abraham and his seed.
By athenacp
Devotion of St. Bernard to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus

Releases many souls from purgatory each time it is prayed.

O Loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I a miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Your Shoulder on which You bore Your heavy Cross, which so tore Your Flesh and laid bare Your Bones as to inflict on You an anguish greater than any other Wound of Your Most Blessed Body.

I adore You, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify You and give You thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching You by the crushing burden of Your heavy Cross to be merciful to the souls in purgatory and to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Your Cross.

Amen.
By athenacp
Offering of Masses

(to be said every day)

My God, I offer this action of mine, and every action of my whole life, in union with the Precious Blood in all the Masses this hour being offered all over the world, or that will be offered for all time--to Thine infinite rejoicing and delight.

To the glory of the Sacred Heart and in thanksgiving for all the graces bestowed on the Sacred Humanity of Our Lord Jesus Christ--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

To the honour of Our Blessed Lady, and in thanksgiving for all graces bestowed on her, especially in her Immaculate Conception, Divine Maternity, and Glorious Assumption I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

In honour of St. Joseph, my Angel Guardian, my Patron Saint, St. Michael and the nine choirs of angels--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God! For all the interests of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament--I offer Thee the Precious Blood O my God!

For the conversion of sinners, the prevention of sin, help for those in their last agony or to die this day--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

For special graces for all whom I love, for friends and relatives, for all who have asked my prayers or whom I have promised to pray for, or who have any claim on my prayers I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

For all whom I have injured or disedified--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

For all the souls in Purgatory, especially for my own relatives and friends, all whom I have promised to pray for, or who want my prayers--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

For my enemies--for all who have unkind hearts for me--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

For all my intentions and wants, spiritual and temporal--I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

In atonement for my sins, for the sins of the whole world, for all the wants of Holy Church I offer Thee the Precious Blood, O my God!

IMPRIMI POTEST:

D. MANNIX
By athenacp
Litany for the Holy Souls in Purgatory

The just shall be in everlasting remembrance;
He shall not fear the evil hearing.

Absolve, O Lord, the souls of the faithful departed from every bond of sin, And by the help of Thy grace may they be enabled to escape the avenging judgment, and to enjoy the happiness of eternal life.

Because in Thy mercy are deposited the souls that departed in an inferior degree of grace,
Lord have mercy.

Because their present suffering is greatest in the knowledge of the pain that their separation from Thee is causing Thee,
Lord have mercy.

Because of their present inability to add to Thy accidental glory,
Lord have mercy.

Not for our consolation, O Lord; not for their release from purgative pain, O God; but for Thy joy and the greater accidental honor of Thy throne, O Christ the King,
Lord have mercy.

For the souls of our departed friends, relations and benefactors,
Grant them light and peace, O Lord.

For those of our family who have fallen asleep in Thy bosom, O Jesus,

For those who have gone to prepare our place,

For priests who were our spiritual directors,

For men or women who were our teachers in school,

For those who were our employers or employees,

For those who were our associates in daily toil,

For any soul whom we ever offended,

For our enemies now departed,

For those souls who have none to pray for them,

For those forgotten by their friends and kin,

For those now suffering the most,

For those who have acquired the most merit,

For the souls next to be released from Purgatory,

For those who, while on earth, were most devoted to God the Holy Ghost, to Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament, to the holy Mother of God,

For all deceased popes and prelates,

For all deceased priests, seminarians and religious,

For all our brethren in the Faith everywhere,

For all our separated brethren who deeply loved Thee, and would have come into Thy household had they known the truth,

For those souls who need, or in life asked, our prayers,

For those, closer to Thee than we are, whose prayers we need,

That those may be happy with Thee forever, who on earth were true exemplars of the Catholic Faith,
Grant them eternal rest, O Lord.

That those may be admitted to Thine unveiled Presence, who as far as we know never committed mortal sin,

That those may be housed in glory, who lived always in recollection and prayer,

That those may be given the celestial joy of beholding Thee, who lived lives of mortification, self-denial, and penance,

That those may be flooded with Thy love, who denied themselves even Thy favors of indulgence and who made the heroic act for the souls who had gone before them,

That those may be drawn up to the Beatific Vision, who never put obstacles in the way of sanctifying grace and who ever drew closer in mystical union with Thee,

Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them.

Let us pray:

Be mindful, O Lord, of all Thy servants and handmaids who are gone before us with the sign of faith and repose in the sleep of grace. To these, O Lord, and to all who rest in Christ, grant, we beseech Thee, a place of refreshment, light and peace, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.

__._,_.___
By athenacp
PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SOULS

O Divine Heart of Jesus, grant I pray Thee, eternal rest to the Souls in Purgatory, the final grace to those who are about to die this day, true repentance to sinners, the light of faith to pagans, and Thy blessing to me and to all who are dear to me. To Thee, therefore, O Most Merciful Heart of Jesus, I commend all these souls, and in their behalf I offer unto Thee all Thy merits in union with the merits of Thy Most Blessed Mother and of all the Angels and Saints, together with all the Masses, Communions, prayers and good works which are this day being offered throughout Christendom.

O Most Holy Heart of Jesus, shower Thy blessings in abundant measure upon the Thy Holy Church, upon the Supreme Pontiff and upon all the clergy; to the just grant perseverance; convert sinners; enlighten unbelievers; bless our relations, friends and benefactors; assist the dying; deliver the Holy Souls in Purgatory; and extend over all hearts the sweet empire of Thy love. Amen.

Taken from Catholic Tradition
By athenacp
A Prayer for the Dying and a Special Soul

O MOST MERCIFUL JESUS, lover of souls,
I beseech You, by the agony of Your most Sacred Heart,
and by the sorrows of Your Immaculate Mother,
wash clean in the Your Blood the sinners of the whole world
who are to die this day.

Remember most especially the soul I spiritually adopt
with the intention of entrusting him or her to your Shepherd's care:
I beseech You for the grace to move this sinner, who is in
danger of going to Hell, to repent. I ask this because of my
trust in Your great mercy.

If it should please Your Majesty to send me a suffering this day
in exchange for the grace I ask for this soul, then, it, too,
shall please me very much, and I thank you, Most Sweet Jesus,
Shepherd and Lover of Souls; I thank You for this
opportunity to give mercy in thanksgiving for all the mercies
You have shown me. Amen.

Heart of Jesus, once in agony, have mercy on the dying.

__._,_.___
By athenacp
The "Our Father" for the Souls in Purgatory

OUR FATHER, WHO ART IN HEAVEN, I beseech You, O Heavenly Father, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, for they did not love You sufficiently, nor render to You all the honor which is Your due, due to You their Lord and Father, Who, by pure grace, have adopted them as Your children. By their sins, rather, have they driven You from their souls, where You none the less wished always to live. In reparation for these faults, I offer You the love and veneration which Your Incarnate Son showed You all during His earthly life, and I offer all the acts of penance and satisfaction which He performed and by which He effaced and atoned for the sins of men.

HALLOWED BE THY NAME, I beg You, O Father Most Good, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, for they did not honor, always and fittingly, Your Holy Name, but often they took It in vain and proved unworthy of the name "Christian", by their lives of sin. In reparation for their faults, I offer to You all the honor which Your Well-Beloved Son rendered to Your Name by His words and deeds.

THY KINGDOM COME; I pray You, Father Most Good, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, for they did not always seek or adore Your Kingdom with enough fervor and diligence;This Kingdom, the only place where true rest and peace reign. In reparation for their omissions, through indifference to do what is good, I offer You the Most Holy Desire of Your Son, by which He wished that they also might become heirs of His Kingdom.

THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN; I pray You, Father Most Good, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, for they did not always submit their will to Your Will. In reparation for their disobedience, I offer You the perfect conformity of the Heart, full of love, of Your Divine Son with Your Holy Will and the most profound submission which He showed in obeying You unto death on the Cross.

GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD; I pray You, Father Most Good, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, for they did not always receive the Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist with enough desire, but often without contemplation, or love, or even unworthily, or they neglected to receive It. In reparation for these faults, I offer You the outstanding Holiness and the great contemplation of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Divine Son, addressed to You in favor of His enemies when He was on the Cross.

FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US; I pray You, Father Most Good, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, all the faults of which they have been guilty through succumbing to the Seven Capital Sins and also in not having wished either to love or pardon their enemies. In reparation for these faults, I offer You the outstanding Holiness and the great contemplation of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Divine Son, addressed to You in favor of His enemies when He was on the Cross.

AND LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION; I pray You, Father Most Good, pardon the Souls in Purgatory, because too often they did not resist temptations and the passions, but they followed the Enemy of all goodness. In reparation for all these sins, in thought, word, and deed. I offer You the glorious victory which Our Lord won against the world, as well as His Most Holy Life, His Work and Sorrows, His Suffering and His Most Cruel Death.

BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL; and from all punishments through the Infinite Merits of Your Well-Beloved Son and lead us, as well as the Souls in Purgatory, into Your Kingdom of eternal glory. Amen.
By athenacp
Petition to Mary for the Suffering Souls

O Immaculate Mother, Queen of Heaven, hear the cries of your suffering children in purgatory and intercede for them at the throne of the Almighty. Behold in them, O Mother most faithful, the image of your Divine Son Who offered Himself in their behalf. Recall His bitter passion and death, and see in them His very sufferings. We feel confident, then, O Mother of Mercy, that you will obtain their liberation; so that they, in union with you and the choir of Heaven, may contemplate the Beatific Vision in heaven forever. Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord; and let perpetual light shine upon them.
Amen.
By athenacp
Prayer to Release the Souls in Purgatory

Oh! Jesus, because of your bitter passion and the wounds on your sacred body, Jesus, merciful Jesus, have mercy on the souls in purgatory. Because of your bitter agony and death on the cross, give the souls in purgatory especially (Name any one you know) eternal rest. Eternal Rest, grant unto them. O Lord and let the perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.
By athenacp
A Prayer to the Poor Souls in Purgatory

O holy souls in Purgatory, you are the certain heirs of Heaven. You are most dear to Jesus, as the trophies of His Precious Blood, and to Mary, Mother of Mercy. Obtain for me, through your intercession, the grace to lead a holy life, to die a happy death, and to attain to the blessedness of eternity in Heaven.

Dear suffering souls, who long to be delivered in order to praise and glorify God in Heaven, by your unfailing pity, help me in the needs which distress me at this time, particularly (here mention your request), so that I may obtain relief and assistance from God.

In gratitude for your intercession, I offer to God, on your behalf, the satisfactory merits of my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day (week, month, or whatever space of time you wish to designate). Amen.
By athenacp
Prayer for the Souls in Purgatory

O gentle Heart of Jesus, ever present in the Blessed
Sacrament, ever consumed with burning love for the poor captive souls in Purgatory, have mercy on them.
Be not severe in Your judgments, but let some drops
of Your Precious Blood fall upon the devouring flames.
And, Merciful Savior, send Your angels to conduct
them to a place of refreshment, light and peace. Amen.
By athenacp
Special Rosary for the Poor Souls in Purgatory
The Sorrowful Mysteries

1) Lord, Jesus Christ, through Your bloody sweat of fear that You shed on the Mount of Olives, we ask You to have Mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory! Deliver them from their fear and pain and console them with the Cup of Heavenly Comfort!

First Mystery - The Agony in the Garden

Lord, grant them eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon them.

The Fatima prayer.... O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of Your Mercy

Second Mystery - The Scourging at the Pillar

2) Lord, Jesus Christ, through Your painful Scourging which You tolerated so patiently for us sinners, we ask You to have Mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory! Retract from them the pain of Your Anger and give them Eternal Relief.

Lord, grant them eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon them. The Fatima prayer...

Third Mystery - The Crowning of Thorns

3) Lord, Jesus Christ, through Your painful Crowning which You suffered so patiently for us sinners, we ask You to have mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory and give them the crown of Eternal Delight!

Lord, grant them eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon them. The Fatima prayer...

Fourth Mystery - The Carrying of the Cross

4) Lord, Jesus Christ, through Your painful Carrying of the Cross, which You suffered so patiently for us sinners, we ask You to have Mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory! Remove from them the heavy burden of suffering and lead them into Eternal Peace!

Lord, grant them eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon them. The Fatima prayer. ..
Fifth Mystery - Jesus Dies on the Cross

5) Lord, Jesus Christ, through Your painful Crucifixion, which You suffered so patiently for us sinners, we ask You have Mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory! Turn Your Holy Face toward them and let them today be in Paradise with You !

Lord, grant them eternal rest and let perpetual light shine upon them. TIre Fatima prayer. ..

After the fifth decade we pray:

Lord, Jesus Christ, through your five Holy Wounds and through all of Your Sacred Blood that You shed, we ask You to have Mercy on the Poor Souls in Purgatory , and in particular for our parents, relatives, spiritual guides, and benefactors! Heal their painful wounds and let them enjoy and participate fully in Your Salvation. Amen.

1. Hail Holy Queen:

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, hail, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve: to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, O most gracious Advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus, O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

Pray for us O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. Let us pray:

O God, Whose only begotten Son, by His life, death and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal salvation. Grant, we besech Thee, that meditating upon these Mysteries of the most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain, and obtain what they promise. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.

2. Prayer to St. Michael:

Saint Michael the Archangel defend us in the hour of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God restrain him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts, by the power of God, cast Satan down to hell, and with him all the wicked spirits who wander through the world for the ruination of souls. Amen

3. The Memorare:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that any one who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother! To thee I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.
By athenacp
A Prayer of Supplication to the Poor Souls in Purgatory

O holy souls, as one truly devoted to you, I promise never to forget you and continually to pray to the Most High for your release. I beseech you to respond to this offering which I make to you, and to obtain for me, from God, with Whom you are so powerful on behalf of the living, that I may be free from all dangers of souls and body.

I beg both for myself and for my relations and benefactors, friends and enemies, pardon for our sins, and the grace of perseverance in good, whereby we may save our souls. Obtain for us peace of heart; assist us in all our actions; succor us promptly in all our spiritual and temporal needs; console and defend us in our dangers.

Pray for our Holy Father, the Pope; for the exaltation of Holy Church; for peace between nations; for Christian rulers; and for tranquility among peoples; and grant that we may one day all rejoice together in Paradise. Amen.
By athenacp
AN OFFERING OF THE PRECIOUS BLOOD FOR SOULS

O My God, I beg of Thee in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary, through the merits of the Precious Blood offered Thee in every Mass throughout the world, to grant that this day one mortal sin may be averted, one soul in doubt may be converted to the truth, one soul about to die in sin may receive the grace of repentance and a happy death, and the deliverance of that soul in Purgatory which is nearest Heaven. I wish by this offering to console the Heart of Jesus in agony for the souls lost through the teaching of error against the true Church of Christ, Jesus, Our Lord. Amen.

Heart of Jesus, once in agony, have mercy on the dying. Heart of Jesus, ever consumed with burning love for the poor captive souls in Purgatory, be not severe in Thy judgments, but let some drops of Thy Precious Blood fall upon them and send, O Merciful Savior, Thy Angels to conduct them to a place of light, refreshment, and peace. Amen.

Mother of Sorrows! Mother of Christ! Thou hadst influence with thy Divine Son when on earth, thou doth have the same influence now in Heaven, pray for me, obtain from thy Divine Son my request, if it be His Holy Will.

Prayers taken from The Purgatorian Manual, by Catholic Men for Christ the King, New York; Prayers and Heavenly Promises, Compiled by Joan Carroll Cruz; and a Prayer Leaflet published by JMJ Book Co,. Wisconsin, with Ecclesiastical Approval.
By athenacp
A Prayer for the Dead

O God, the Creator and Redeemer of all the faithful, grant unto the souls of Thy departed servants full remission of all their sins, that through the help of our pious supplications they may obtain that pardon which they have always desired. Thou Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.

V. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord.
R. And let perpetual light shine upon them
V. May they rest in peace. Amen.
By athenacp
O Salutaris Hostia Sacra

O Holy Victim for our salvation. You are perfect humanity, true divinity, the source and origin of our salvation. Have mercy on the deceased!

You, our Redeemer, O Jesus! You erase our sins and you forgive us. Have mercy on the deceased!

Touched by our prayers, sweet Jesus, and by the supplications of all the faithful, receive our prayers, and have mercy on the deceased!

O Jesus, we beg you to grant eternal rest to those who have died in your Grace. May the eternal and blessed light shine upon them. Amen.
By athenacp
Indulgences for the Souls in Purgatory to Honor the Angels,

Angel of God (Angele Dei)
Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom his love commits me here, enlighten and guard, rule and guide me. Amen. (partial indulgence)

Visit, we beg You, O Lord (Visita, quaesumus, Domine)
Visit, we beg You, O Lord, this dwelling, and drive from it all snares of the enemy: let your holy Angels dwell herein, to keep us in peace; and let your blessing be always upon us. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. (Roman Breviary) partial indulgence.

Hear us (Exaudi nos)
Hear us, Lord, holy Father, almighty and eternal God; and graciously send your holy angel from heaven to watch over, to cherish, to protect, to abide with, and to defend all who dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. (Roman Ritual)
partial indulgence.
By athenacp
12 Steps to Avoid Purgatory
excerpts from "How to Avoid Purgatory", By Fr. Paul O'Sullivan

1. In every prayer you say, every Mass you hear, every Communion you receive, every good work you perform have the express intention of imploring God to grant you a holy and happy death and no Purgatory. Surely God will hear a prayer said with such confidence and perseverance.

(Note: Read about the tremendous value of the Mass, here.)

2. Always wish to do God's will. It is in every sense the best for you. When you do or seek anything that is not God's will, you are sure to suffer. Say, therefore, fervently each time you recite the Our Father: Thy will be done.

3. Accept all the sufferings, sorrows, pains and disappointments of life, be they great or small, ill health, loss of goods, the death of your dear ones, heat or cold, rain or sunshine as coming from God. Bear them calmly and patiently for love of Him and in penance for your sins. Of course, one may use all his efforts to ward off trouble and pain, but when one cannot avoid it let him bear it patiently. Impatience and revolt make sufferings vastly greater and more difficult to bear.

4. The greatest act in Christ's life was His Passion. As He had a Passion so each one of us has a Passion. Our Passion consists in the sufferings and labors of every day. Therefore, let us do our work, accept its disappointments and hardships and bear our pains in union with the Passion of Christ. We gain more merit by a little pain than by years of pleasure.

5. Forgive all injuries and offences for in proportion, as we forgive others, God forgives us. Go to confession. This sacrament does more than "just" rid us of our sins; it gives us a tremendous increase in sanctifying grace. It wins for us a higher place in Heaven, with increased union with God. Each time we go to confession, we are preserved from many dangers and misfortunes which might otherwise have befallen us. A devout confession helps us to hear the inspirations of the Holy Spirit, and to hear and follow the advice of our guardian angels.

6. Avoid mortal sins, deliberate venial sins and break off bad habits. Then it will be relatively easy to satisfy God's justice for sins of frailty. Above all avoid sins against charity and chastity in thought, word and deed for these sins are the reason why many souls are detained in Purgatory for a long time.

7. If afraid of doing too much work, do many little things, acts of kindness and charity, give the alms you can, don't grumble or complain when things are not as you please, don't complain of others, never refuse to do a favor for others when possible. These and such acts are a splendid penance.

8. Do all in your power for the Holy Souls in Purgatory. Pray for them constantly, get others to do so, join the Friends of the Poor Souls and ask all those you know to do likewise. The Holy Souls will repay you most generously.

9. There is no more powerful way of obtaining from God a most holy and happy death than by weekly confession, daily Mass and daily communion. Masses may be arranged after or before someone's death to expedite their time in Purgatory.

10. A daily visit to the Blessed Sacrament – if only for three or four minutes – is an easy way of obtaining the same grace. Kneel in the presence of Jesus with eyes fixed on the Tabernacle or Monstrance, sure that He is looking at you, then repeat little prayers like these: My Jesus, Mercy. My Jesus, have pity on me a sinner. My Jesus, I love you. My Jesus, give me a happy death.

11. Wear the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. "Whosoever dies clothed in this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire." This is the Blessed Virgin Mary's Promise, made July 16, 1251 to St. Simon Stock. The Sabbatine Privilege is Mary's promise to release from Purgatory soon after death, all those who: 1) wear the brown scapular 2) observe chastity according to their state in life and 3) say the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary every day. To be eligible for this scapular promise, one must be enrolled.

12. Use holy water to remit venial sin. Because of the blessing attached to it, Holy Mother Church strongly encourages its use upon her children, especially when danger threatens, such as fire, storms, sickness and other calamities. Every Catholic home should have a supply of holy water. Sprinkle some holy water on the ground, then make the Sign of the Cross and pray: "By this holy water and by Thy Precious Blood, wash away all my sins and the sins of the Poor Souls in Purgatory, O Lord".

__._,_.___
By athenacp
Novena for the Holy Souls in Purgatory

This Novena, written by St. Alphonsus Liguori, has different prayers for each of the 9 days, followed by the Prayer to Our Suffering Saviour for the Holy Souls in Purgatory which is at the bottom of the section.

First Day:
Jesus, my Saviour I have so often deserved to be cast into hell how great would be my suffering if I were now cast away and obliged to think that I myself had caused my damnation. I thank Thee for the patience with which Thou hast endured me. My God, I love Thee above all things and I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee because Thou art infinite goodness. I will rather die than offend Thee again. Grant me the grace of perseverance. Have pity on me and at the same time on those blessed souls suffering in Purgatory. Mary, Mother of God, come to their assistance with thy powerful intercession.

Say one Our Father, one Hail Mary, and the Prayer to Our Suffering Saviour for the Holy Souls in Purgatory below

Second Day:
Woe to me, unhappy being, so many years have I already spent on earth and have earned naught but hell! I give Thee thanks, O Lord, for granting me time even now to atone for my sins. My good God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee. Send me Thy assistance, that I may apply the time yet remaining to me for Thy love and service; have compassion on me, and, at the same time, on the holy souls suffering in Purgatory. O Mary, Mother of God, come to their assistance with thy powerful intercession.

Say one Our Father, one Hail Mary, and the Prayer to Our Suffering Saviour for the Holy Souls in Purgatory below

Third Day:
My God! because Thou art infinite goodness, I love Thee above all things, and repent with my whole heart of my offenses against Thee. Grant me the grace of holy perseverance. Have compassion on me, and, at the same, on the holy souls suffering in Purgatory. And thou, Mary, Mother of God, come to their assistance with thy powerful intercession.

Fourth Day:
My God! because Thou art infinite goodness, I am sorry with my whole heart for having offended Thee. I promise to die rather than ever offend Thee more. Give me holy perseverance; have pity on me, and have pity on those holy souls that burn in the cleansing fire and love Thee with all their hearts. O Mary, Mother of God, assist them by thy powerful prayers.

Fifth Day:
Woe to me, unhappy being, if Thou, O Lord, hadst cast me into hell; for from that dungeon of eternal pain there is no deliverance. I love Thee above all things, O infinite God and I am sincerely sorry for having offended Thee again. Grant me the grace of holy perseverance. Have compassion on me, and, at the same time, on the holy souls suffering in Purgatory. O Mary, Mother of God, come to their assistance with thy powerful intercession.

Sixth Day:
My Divine Redeemer, Thou didst die for me on the Cross, and hast so often united Thyself with me in Holy Communion, and I have repaid Thee only with ingratitude. Now, however, I love Thee above all things, O supreme God; and I am more grieved at my offences against Thee than at any other evil. I will rather die than offend Thee again. Grant me the grace of holy perseverance. Have compassion on me, and, at the same time, on the holy souls suffering in Purgatory. Mary, Mother of God, come to their aid with thy powerful intercession.

Seventh Day:
God, Father of Mercy, satisfy this their ardent desire! Send them Thy holy Angel to announce to them that Thou, their Father, are now reconciled with them through the suffering and death of Jesus, and that the moment of their deliverance has arrived.

Eighth Day:
Oh my God! I also am one of these ungrateful beings, having received so much grace, and yet despised Thy love and deserved to be cast by Thee into hell. But Thy infinite goodness has spared me until now. Therefore, I now love Thee above all things, and I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee. I will rather die than ever offend Thee. Grant me the grace of holy perseverance. Have compassion on me and, at the same time, on the holy souls suffering in Purgatory. Mary, Mother of God, come to their aid with thy powerful intercession.

Ninth Day:
My God! How was it possible that I, for so many years, have borne tranquilly the separation from Thee and Thy holy grace! O infinite Goodness, how long-suffering hast Thou shown Thyself to me! Henceforth, I shall love Thee above all things. I am deeply sorry for having offended Thee; I promise rather to die than to again offend Thee. Grant me the grace of holy perseverance, and do not permit that I should ever again fall into sin. Have compassion on the holy souls in Purgatory. I pray Thee, moderate their sufferings; shorten the time of their misery; call them soon unto Thee in heaven, that they may behold Thee face to face, and forever love Thee. Mary, Mother of Mercy, come to their aid with thy powerful intercession, and pray for us also who are still in danger of eternal damnation.

Prayer to Our Suffering Saviour for the Holy Souls in Purgatory

O most sweet Jesus, through the bloody sweat which Thou didst suffer in the Garden of Gethsemane, have mercy on these Blessed Souls. Have mercy on them.
R. Have mercy on them, O Lord.

O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer during Thy most cruel scourging, have mercy on them.

O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer in Thy most painful crowning with thorns, have mercy on them.

O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer in carrying Thy cross to Calvary, have mercy on them.

O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer during Thy most cruel Crucifixion, have mercy on them.

O most sweet Jesus, through the pains which Thou didst suffer in Thy most bitter agony on the Cross, have mercy on them.

O most sweet Jesus, through the immense pain which Thou didst suffer in breathing forth Thy Blessed Soul, have mercy on them.

(Recommend yourself to the Souls in Purgatory and mention your intentions here)

Blessed Souls, I have prayed for thee; I entreat thee, who are so dear to God, and who are secure of never losing Him, to pray for me a miserable sinner, who is in danger of being damned, and of losing God forever. Amen.