Share your favorite prayers and your most cherished means of connecting with God, including prayers that you wrote.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

The books of Nahum and Habakkuk contained no references to the Name of the LORD.
224. Zephaniah 3:9-10, 12-13
verses 9-10 For then I will change and purify the lips of the peoples, that they all may call upon the Name of the LORD, to serve Him with one accord; From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia and as far as the recesses of the North, they shall bring me offerings.
verses 12-13 But I will leave as a remnant in your midst a people humble and lowly, who shall take refuge in the Name of the LORD: the remnant of Israel.
The book of Haggai contained no references to the Name of the LORD.
Part of the book of the prophet Zechariah tells of visions the LORD shows him. One of the visions in chapter 5 is of a flying scroll. This scroll is huge and details a curse that the LORD pronounces on sinners for their various sins.
225. Zechariah 5: 3-4 Then He (the LORD) said to me: "This is the curse which is to go forth over the whole earth; in accordance with it shall every thief be swept away, and in accordance with it shall every perjurer be expelled from here. I will send it forth (the flying scroll), says the LORD of hosts, and it shall come into the house of the thief, or into the house of him who perjures himself with My Name; if shall lodge within his house, consuming it, timber and stones."
Chapter 13 of Zechariah talks of God cleansing the people of idolatry and false prophets. Verse 9 is particularly endearing of the filial love we have for the Heavenly Father.
227. Zechariah 13:3, 9
verse 3: If a man still (false) prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the Name of the LORD."
verse 9: I will bring one third through fire, and I will refine them as silver is refined, and I will test them as gold is tested. They shall call upon My Name, and I will hear them. I will say, "They are My people," and they shall say, "The LORD is my God."
The book of Malachi was written after the return of Jews from Babylon. The author tries to stir up holiness among the priests by making affirmations, then posing questions as if a doubter, and then responding with affirmations.
229. Malachi 1: 6-7, 11, 14
verses 6-7 So says the LORD of hosts to you, O priests, who despise His Name. But you ask, "How have we despised Your Name?" By offering polluted food on My altar!"
verse 11 "For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, My Name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to My Name, and a pure offering; For great is My Name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.
verse 14 For a great King am I, says the LORD of hosts, and My Name will be feared among the nations.
230. Malachi 2: 1- 2, 4-5
verses 1- 2 And now, O priests, this commandment is for you: If you do not listen, and if you do not lay it to heart, to give glory to My Name, says the LORD of hosts, I will send a curse upon you and of your blessing I will make a curse. Yes, I have already cursed it, because you do not lay it to heart.
verses 4-5 Then you will know that I sent you this commandment because I have a covenant with Levi (in the Old Testament, namely the third son of Jacob with Leah (Genesis 29:34), who gave rise to the priestly caste of the Levites), says the LORD of hosts. My covenant with him was one of life and peace; fear I put in him, and he feared Me, and stood in awe of My Name.
++++Let us pray that our names will be written in His record book in verse 16 ++++
231. Malachi 3: 16, 20
verse 16 Then they who fear the LORD spoke with one another, and the LORD listened attentively; and a record book was written before Him of those who fear the LORD and trust in His Name.
verse 20 (God's words) "But for you who fear My Name, there will arise the sun of justice with its healing rays; and you will gambol like calves out of the stall and tread down the wicked; They will become ashes under the soles of your feet on the day I take action, says the LORD of hosts.

We have completed the Old Testament study of scriptures with respect to the Name of the LORD. Tomorrow we start the New Testament with the Gospel of Matthew and study how we now have the Gift of the Incarnate God among us, King Jesus.
As a reminder these scripture entries are only emphasizing the Name of the LORD and therefore, Jesus, but we are to know the Gospels thoroughly and in detail. Our Lady of Medjugorje said, "Dear children! Also today I call you to be carriers of the Gospel in your families. Do not forget, little children, to read Sacred Scripture. Put it in a visible place and witness with your life that you believe and live the Word of God. " She also said, "Apostles of my love -you who pray, sacrifice yourselves, love and do not judge - you go and spread the truth, the words of my Son, the Gospel, because you are the living Gospel; you are the rays of the light of my Son. "
232. Matthew 1: 18-25
Now this is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about. When His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found with Child through the Holy Spirit. Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man, yet unwilling to expose her to shame, decided to divorce her quietly. Such was his intention when, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home. For it is through the Holy Spirit that his Child has been conceived in her. She will bear a Son and you are to name Him Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what the LORD had said through the prophet (Isaiah):
"Behold, the virgin shall be with Child and bear a Son, and they shall name Him Emmanuel," which means "God is with us."
When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the LORD had commanded him and took his wife into his home. He had no relations with her until she bore a Son, and he named Him Jesus.
233. This entry is about how Jesus taught the perfect prayer, the LORD's prayer. A similar entry is found in the Gospel of Luke. The LORD's prayer is considered perfect because Jesus, Himself taught us this prayer. It contains praise for the Name of the LORD and seven petitions which are 1. pleading for God's Kingdom to come on earth 2. God's Will to be done on earth as It is in heaven 3. Give us our daily Bread 4. Forgive us our sins 5. Help us to forgive people who sin against us 6. Keep temptations far from us 7. Deliver us from evil meaning break the bonds with which devils entrap us.

Matthew 6: 9-13 (Jesus speaking) "This is how you are to pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed by Your Name, Your Kingdom come, Your Will be done, on earth as It is in heaven. Give us today our daily Bread; and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors; and do not subject us to the final test, but deliver us from the evil one.
234. Matthew 7: 21-23 (Jesus's words of warning regarding false prophets versus true discipleship) "Not everyone who says to Me, 'LORD, LORD,' will enter the Kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the Will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, 'LORD, LORD, did we not prophecy in Your Name? Did we not drive out demons in Your Name? Did we not do mighty deeds in Your Name? Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from Me, you evildoers.'
There are certain events in the Gospels that carry such magnitude that we see them in nearly every Gospel. With respect to the Name of Jesus, these events are 1.) when Jesus told us that Christians will suffer because of the rejection of His Name, 2.) when Christians welcome children in His Name, they welcome Jesus Himself, and 3.) the triumphal Hosanna entry of King Jesus into Jerusalem (Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD) before He was crucified.
This next entry is very important regarding our role in the world as Christians, as followers of Jesus. The same type of entry is also found in the Gospels of Mark and Luke which will be pointed out when they come up.
235. Matthew 10: 22 (Jesus's words) "You will be hated by all because of My Name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved."
236. Matthew 12: 20-21 (In this passage, Matthew shows that Jesus is the fulfillment of what Who the prophet Isaiah was writing about) "A bruised reed He will not break, a smoldering wick He will not quench, until He brings justice to victory. And in His Name the Gentiles will hope."
237. Matthew 18: 1-5 At the time the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in My Name receives Me."
239. The rich young man asks Jesus what it takes to follow Him. Jesus tells him to sell everything and follow Him- to which the man declines and leaves. Jesus tells His disciples that it is hard for worldly people to enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 19: 23-30 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God." When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible." Then Peter said in reply, "We have given up everything and followed You. What will there be for us?" Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you that you who have followed Me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on His throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of My Name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."
240. The Hosanna verses are of such magnitude that each one of the four Gospels tell of the Hosanna entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem. Additionally, we sing the Hosanna verses at every single Mass that we attend. The Hosanna verses precede the Eucharistic prayer at every Mass where Jesus is fully and truly present as He comes in the Name of the LORD in the Eucharist. Here is the passage from Matthew:
Matthew 21: 9 The crowds preceding Him and those following kept crying out and saying: "Hosanna to the Son of David; Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the LORD; hosanna in the highest."
241. Jesus lamented over how the people in high positions in Jerusalem rejected Him, His words, and the One who sent Him.
Matthew 23:37-39 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her young under her wings, but you were unwilling! Behold, your house will be abandoned, desolate. I tell you, you will not see Me again until you say, 'Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD.' (the Hosanna verse)"
Chapter 24 of Matthew concerns Jesus telling his disciples of the times the prophet Daniel wrote about, the end times. The term used is 'eschatological' which means the coming of a new age or 'eschaton.' Jesus warns of calamities and a great tribulation that will precede the coming of the Son of Man.
242. Matthew 24: 9 "Then they will hand you over to persecution, and they will kill you. You will be hated by all nations because of My Name."
The great commissioning of the Apostles by Jesus (and commissioned now to us) to go into the world and baptize in His Name.
243. Matthew 28: 17-30 When they (disciples) saw Him, they worshiped, but they doubted. Then Jesus approached and said to them, "All power in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."
The Gospel of St. Mark was the first Gospel that was written. It was written at least a number of years after Jesus was crucified and is based on what Saint Peter told Saint Mark about the life of Jesus. It is the shortest in length of all the Gospels and if it seems to portray Saint Peter in a critical light, that was due to Saint Peter's own self-criticism of his lack of faith during Jesus's trial that he dictated to Saint Mark. We will find similar passages with respect to the Name of the LORD as seen in the other Gospels.
244. Jesus's words about receiving children in His Name (similar to post #237 from Matthew)
Mark 9:37-39 "Whoever receives one child such as this in My Name, receives Me, and whoever receives Me, receives not Me, but the One Who sent Me." John said to Him, "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in Your Name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us." Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in My Name who can at the same time speak ill of Me."
247. The coming persecution Mark 13: 12-13 "Brother will hand over brother to death, and the father his child; children will rise up against parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by all because of My Name. But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved."
248. After His resurrection and before His ascension into heaven, Jesus commissioned His disciples (and us) to do mighty works in the Name of the LORD.
Mark 16: 17-18 "These signs will accompany those who believe: in My Name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. They will pick up serpents [with their hands], and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."