Share your favorite prayers and your most cherished means of connecting with God, including prayers that you wrote.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, Management

The Gospel of Saint Luke was written by Luke, a second or third generation Christian, to confirm to the reader 'Theophilus' (literally 'friend of God') all the teachings they have received that the birth, ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus is a fulfillment of the promises of God in the Old Testament. In this Gospel we read a more full account of the Incarnation and Birth of Jesus, the life of Saint John the Baptist, and many other insights into the life of our LORD.
249. Luke 1: 31 (Angel Gabriel's promise to Mary at the Incarnation) "Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a Son, and you shall Name Him Jesus."
252. Jesus's words about receiving children in His Name (similar to post #237 from Matthew, # 244 from Mark)
Luke 9: 46-49 An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the greatest. Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by His side and said to them, "Whoever receives this child in My Name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives the One Who sent Me. For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest."
Then John said in reply, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your Name and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow in our company." Jesus said to him, "Do not prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you."
253. (During Jesus's ministry he appointed 72 disciples to go ahead of Him without provisions but relying on the charity of the people to cure the sick and tell the people, "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand for you." Then the 72 disciples came back to Jesus to report about their mission.)
Luke 10: 17-20 The seventy[-two] returned rejoicing, and said, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of Your Name." Jesus said, "I have observed satan fall like lightning from the sky. Behold, I have given you the power 'to tread upon serpents' and scorpions and upon the full force of the enemy and nothing will harm you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice because your names are written in heaven."

I may not post anything for the next couple of days. My husband and children are driving very far to view the total solar eclipse. May God bless you and keep you in the embrace of His Name.
254. (Similar to entry #233 (Matthew)) Luke 11: 2 He said to them, "When you pray, say: Father hallowed be Your Name, Your Kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread and forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us, and do not subject us to the final test."

====
The total solar eclipse was AWESOME! At midday the temperature cooled, stars came out, shadow 'snakes' appeared on the ground and then the visual of the coronal outline of the rays emanating from the blocked out sun was nothing less than spectacular. May God be praised, blessed, thanked, and adored in all His awesome works forever and ever. Amen.
255. Jesus's lament over Jerusalem Luke 13: 35 "Behold, your house (temple) will be abandoned, [But] I tell you, you will not see ME until [the time comes when] you say, 'Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD' (the Hosanna verse)."
256. Jesus's triumphal Hosanna entry into Jerusalem (similar to #245 from St. Mark and to post #240 from the Gospel of Saint Matthew)

Luke 19:38 They (the people) proclaimed: "Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD. Peace in heaven and glory in the highest."

-------
At every Mass we attend, these words help us relive the great moment when King Jesus entered Jerusalem. He was the One prophesied by David and many other prophets that comes in the Name of the LORD to redeem us from the slavery of sin so that we may be part of His Kingdom. And immediately after we sing the Hosanna, we kneel down for the Eucharistic prayer when Jesus really and truly comes to us Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Name of the LORD.
257. In Luke Chapter 21, Jesus warns us to discern about the signs of the end. First He foretells the disciples that the Temple will be destroyed. So surprised to hear this, the disciples asked him when it would happen. Jesus tells of events that will happen before the end.
Luke 21: 8 He (Jesus) answered, "See that you not be deceived, for many will come in My Name, saying, 'I am he,' and ' The time has come.' Do not follow them! When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for such things must happen first, but it will not immediately be the end." Then He said to them,"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues from place to place; and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky. Before all this happens, however, they will seize and persecute you, they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons, and they will have you led before kings and governors because of My Name. It will lead to your giving testimony. Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand, for I Myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute. You will be handed over by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends, and they will put some of you to death. You will be hated by all because of My Name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance you will secure your lives."
++++Read the rest of this chapter, Luke Chapter 21+++++
258. (This passage is after Jesus rose from the dead and is speaking to His disciples.)
Luke 24: 46-48 And He (Jesus) said to them, "Thus it is written that the Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins, would be preached in His Name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things."
The Gospel of Saint John was written by John the Apostle also known as John the Evangelist who also wrote the Book of Revelation. He was known as the beloved eye witness of Jesus. For an overview of this Gospel, please read the link at http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08438a.htm or http://www.usccb.org/bible/john/0 Some call this Gospel the mystical Gospel because there is a depth of spirituality that distinguishes it from the other Gospels. It is also called the Sacramental Gospel because if you look into the Gospel of John, you will find the foundational statements for each of the seven Sacraments.
1. John Chapter 1 tells of Baptism,
2. John Chapter 8 verse 11 and Chapter 20 verse 23 tells of sacramental confession,
3. John Chapter 6 verses 51-59 tells of the Eucharist, the source and summit of our lives,
4. John Chapter 14 verses 26-27 and Chapter 16 verses 13-14 tells of Confirmation,
5. John Chapter 2 tells of Matrimony when Jesus ministers to the people at the wedding in Cana
6. John Chapter 21 verses 15-19 tells of Holy Orders
7. John Chapter 9 and others tell of the anointing of the sick

The first part of the Gospel of Saint John or prologue is so mighty that it will be today's post.
259. John 1: 1-18 In the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came to be through Him and without Him nothing came to be. What came to be through Him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. A man named John was sent from God. He came for testimony, to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
He was in the world, and the world came to be through Him, but the world did not know Him. He came to what was His own, but His own people did not accept Him. But to those who did accept Him He gave power to become children of God, to those who believe in HIS NAME, who were born not by natural generation nor by human choice nor by a man's decision but of God.
And the Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us, and we saw His glory, the glory as of the Father's only Son, full of grace and truth.
John testified to Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of Whom I said, 'The One Who is coming after me ranks ahead of me because He existed before me.'" From His fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace, because while the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God. The only Son, God, Who is at the Father's side, has revealed Him.
261. John 3:16-18 (Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus who was asking Him questions. Jesus said...) For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. Whoever believes in Him will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the Name of the only Son of God.
All of John Chapter 8 is very profound, I am noting that in verses 39-59 Jesus had a conversation with some unbelievers, He spoke to them about the truth of His mission. I am noting this Chapter, not because it has reference to the Holy Name, but to point out the conversation that Jesus had with the unbelievers saying forthrightly that the voice that they chose to listen to was the devil, the father of all lies.
263. John 10: 24-26 So the Jews gathered around Him (Jesus) and said to Him, "How long are You going to keep us in suspense? If You are the Messiah, tell us plainly." Jesus answered them, "I told you and you do not believe. The works I do in My Father's Name testify to Me. But you do not believe, because you are not among My sheep."
The next entry is the description of Jesus's entry into Jerusalem before He was arrested. As has been pointed out, this event is described in each Gospel. It was post #256 from St. Luke, #245 from St. Mark and post #240 from the Gospel of Saint Matthew). Furthermore this Hosanna praise comes from the psalms of ancient worship when a procession of thanksgiving for a victory would take place where the king and people waving palm branches would process into the temple precincts (Psalm 118: 26-29 {Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD. We bless You from the LORD's house. The LORD is God and has given us light. Join in procession with leafy branches up to the horns of the altar. You are my God, I give You thanks; my God, I offer You praise. Give thanks to the LORD, Who is good, Whose love endures forever.})

264. John 12: 12-13 On the next day, when the great crowd that had come to the feast heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, they took palm branches and went out to meet Him, and cried out:
"Hosanna! Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD, [even] the King of Israel."
265. (Before Jesus was arrested, He spoke to His apostles, then a Voice was heard. Oh, if only we could have been present at that momentous time!) John 12: 23-32 Jesus answered them, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Amen. amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. Whoever serves Me must follow Me, and where I Am, there also will My servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves Me.
I am troubled now. Yet what should I say? 'Father, save Me from this hour'? But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your Name." Then a Voice came from heaven, "I have glorified It and will glorify It again." The crowd there heard It and said It was thunder; but others said, "An angel has spoken to Him." Jesus answered and said, "This Voice did not come for My sake, but for yours. Now is the time of judgment on this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to Myself."
The Gospel of John Chapter 14 has to do with what Jesus told the Apostles during the Last Supper, they are subtitled Last Supper Discourses in my Bible. Post #266 is the first of three occasions that Jesus tells us to pray in His Name
266. John 14: 12-14 Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in Me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in My Name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of Me in My Name, I will do it.
The second time that Jesus tells us to pray in His Name
268. John 15: 16-17 "It was not you who chose Me, but I Who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in My Name He may give you. This I command you: love one another.
269. John 15: 20-21 "Remember the Word I spoke to you, 'No slave is greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My Word, they will also keep yours. And they will do all these things to you on account of My Name, because they do not know the One Who sent Me."
270. The third time Jesus told us to pray in His Name John 16: 22-24 "So you also are now in anguish. But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you. On that day you will not question Me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My Name He will give you. Until now you have not asked anything in My Name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete."
273. Jesus continues His prayer to God the Father John 17: 11-12 "And now I will no longer be in the world, but they (disciples...us) are in the world, while I am coming to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your Name that You have given Me, so that they may be one just as We are. When I was with them I protected them in Your Name that you gave Me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled."