Tell us about prayers you've had answered.

Moderators: MedjAdmin, marylover, Management

By djdownunder
Hi all,

I'm new to this board but I have been reading it from time to time in the past. This is my first post and I'd just like to share this with you to see what your thoughts are on it.

I have been praying for a decent job for three years now after graduating from uni with a degree in multimedia. I feel like my prayers are never going to be answered as over the years I've tried countless novenas (including the 9 tuesdays to st anthony, just finished the divine mercy novena, i usually say it evey day etc) I also went to mass every morning over easter while i was jobless as well as going to confessions regularly. I go to mass every sunday, pray the rosary every day, maybe even a few times a day with other novenas and prayers.

I'm 26 and every time I go to church here in Australia, I'm always one of the youngest there. I look around the city and I see other people around the same age and younger who have their careers started and who laugh about the idea of believing in God while I'm praying like a mad-man, working in a warehouse (again) and feeling like my prayers are never going to be answered. This eats away at my faith.

I've been to Medjugorje two times and as a result I try to keep a strong faith but I just wonder why God has not answered my prayers for this one favour over the years.

I am not exaggerating when I say I have applied for 100+ jobs in my field of study and have had four interviews with no luck at all. Maybe some of you out there have had similar stories which I'd like to hear which will keep my hopes alive. Please can I ask you all to pray for me so that my career starts soon....

Thank you
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Hi Djdownunder! I replied to your post under Prayer Requests. :D

Welcome to the forum!!! Glad to have you! Enjoy!!! :D
By Gael
DJ,

The first thing that comes to my mind is the title of the Garth Brooks song "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers". I don't think all the prayers you have said are "wasted" or that God is ignoring you but perhaps it is not in His plan for you to go in that particular direction. I have asked God for one particular thing for nearly 20 years now, and I have come to accept that God doesn't mean me to have that. It isn't His plan for me, and I still find that very difficult to accept. I see other people all around me who have this particular thing I asked for, many of them do not pray at all, so why can't I have it? I can't work it out, so I must trust in God that He knows whats best for me. He ahs always given me everything else I have ever asked for, so there must be a reason that this one thing cannot be mine.

I recall a story too about a young man from a small town in the US who along with all his friends applied for jobs in New York. Despite having faith and praying he was turned down and forced to remain at home while all his friends went off to good jobs. He was very disheartened, God hadn't answered his prayers, he was left all alone while others were going places. The place his friends were all working were the Twin Towers, and sadly none survived the 9/11 disaster.

Something to think about?
By djdownunder
thanks for your replies. very interesting to read that above. i have replied to my same post in the 'prayer request' section as it will be easier to keep track of. speak to you there. thanks again :)
By Coloradocatholic
djdownunder-

I really understand your plight- having been in the very same boat for years. I used to believe that God would somehow let me know in a visible way what he wanted me to do with my life. I always heard about people just KNOWING what they were to do. Never seemed fair to me.

I went along with that in mind until one day, in my late 30's, I finally realized that at least in my case, God does not talk to me or let me know what He wants. He only seems to work through other PEOPLE to give us His answers. That realization was one of the most difficult things I ever went through spiritually. How disappointed I was and what a let down about my dreams I felt at that time! In retrospect, I had to undergo that realization.

Now, for you to continue on, consider listening what other people tell you about your talents, your direction, and consider if more than one person tells you the same or similar things, perhaps then, God is telling you that you will need to change your direction. Not change your desires, but the path He wants you to take. I have found that when several people tell me the same thing, all of a sudden, I "get it". I really think that is how God works in our lives. He surely doesn't give us obvious signs, at least I don't think most of us get that lucky, but He will direct us through others. Must be something about the "Body of Christ" and working with and through each other, that we need to consider in ways we never imagined aside from just the sacraments.

Maybe instead of thinking you have to use your degree in the area of study you got it in, you could use it to open a different door. One of my professors told me once that a degree is a door opener. Many people don't get to use their degree in the field they studied, but it surely opens doors for other things you will never imagine until you get there.

At least consider these possibilities. I really really know where you are at- cause I've been there! Hope this enlightens you a bit. As for going to church and being the youngest..never give that up. When our tribulation comes whether soon or in the near or distant future, you will have the strength of your faith to see you through, while your young friends will be left bewildered and wondering what they should do when they are in crisis mode. Love your faith and keep it! It's more precious than anything else here on this earth! God bless.
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Wow what a beautiful post ColoradoCatholic! I've been waiting for answers for so long, the lesson you learned is probably exactly the one I need as well. You put it so beautifully how God answers prayers through other people. I'm going to start doing more listening and see if I hear some answers. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this.
By starbright
Can I add to ColoradoCatholic's experiences and say that I find that I don't know the will of God, he doesn't speak to me, but that I find that I end up where He wants and I don't know how, I just go along in my life and pray for the Holy Spirit and try to make good choices based on my own judgement but sometimes I find myself in just the right place, or at least, I find I can see why my current situation is just the right place. I think that the will of God just happens automatically as we pray and we are not necessarily aware of it happening. To us, everything just seems normal.

I hope this helps people too, because I also don't have great revelations about what God wants of me!
By savedbymarie
nor do I know ...
all I know is to try and love him more and more, to be with him all day, through everything I can live.
I like this word of a pastor dietrich bonhoeffer who died in 1945 in jail for his faith
"god doesn't realize all our desires, but he realises all his promises"
and what are his promises ? his love, his mercy, his heart offered to us everyminute, and our obstacles are often empeaching his desire to provide us with his gift to us, the gift of being beautiful child, the gift of being forgiven and offered to a new life , a life in the holy spirit, where all is peace, goodness, mercy...
so, offering my desires to Him and letting him provide with my needs, he who created me and knows me much better than I.
By Coloradocatholic
thanks for your comments. This forum is a blessing. To share with others and other Catholics the spirit of perseverance and faith is just what we need. What a gift to have this technology to reach out to others, assist where possible and uplift or pray for, what a Godsend!

I enjoy reading about everyone's faith and their own journeys. We learn from each other, that's for sure! Keep the faith!
By starbright
It is indeed a Godsend. It encourages and informs us, it is a means of evangelisation, mutual support and joy.
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Beautifully said Frances!!! Lots of good input on here for sure!!! :D
By Joshua
djdownunder wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to this board but I have been reading it from time to time in the past. This is my first post and I'd just like to share this with you to see what your thoughts are on it.

I have been praying for a decent job for three years now after graduating from uni with a degree in multimedia. I feel like my prayers are never going to be answered as over the years I've tried countless novenas (including the 9 tuesdays to st anthony, just finished the divine mercy novena, i usually say it evey day etc) I also went to mass every morning over easter while i was jobless as well as going to confessions regularly. I go to mass every sunday, pray the rosary every day, maybe even a few times a day with other novenas and prayers.

I'm 26 and every time I go to church here in Australia, I'm always one of the youngest there. I look around the city and I see other people around the same age and younger who have their careers started and who laugh about the idea of believing in God while I'm praying like a mad-man, working in a warehouse (again) and feeling like my prayers are never going to be answered. This eats away at my faith.

I've been to Medjugorje two times and as a result I try to keep a strong faith but I just wonder why God has not answered my prayers for this one favour over the years.

I am not exaggerating when I say I have applied for 100+ jobs in my field of study and have had four interviews with no luck at all. Maybe some of you out there have had similar stories which I'd like to hear which will keep my hopes alive. Please can I ask you all to pray for me so that my career starts soon....

Thank you
Australia, very nice place. I reccomend you going to world youth day this summer in sydney lots of younger people. Godbless You.
By miave
all i can say is keep on praying because theres a time for everything.maybe god has other plans for you.keep the faith!!!
By 777
djdownunder, God's blessings upon you. I have been reading a LOT of literature lately on saints' thoughts and experiences, Jesus' locutions and his messages on prayer. And one thing quickly came to mind when I read your post. It may not make sense to you now but everything in your life is happening according to God's will and in his time. It certainly has in my life.
I really believe that when you meet the Father he will show you your life and why things happened the way they did, why you met the people you did, and how HE used it all to further his divine plans on Earth. I bet you will be amazed beyond words when you see all the good your prayers and faith have done, both for you and others.
I will think of you in the Divine mercy chaplet I am about to pray.
By gottaloveHim
I remember being a single mom I would stay up and cry to Him and He would just listen. I tried to make ends meet, to feed my babies, buy my home out of foreclosure, work for minimum wage as I reentered the job market... I didn’t just want for Him to listen I wanted to hear it was going to be OK. But He was busy…

Well I did it. I bought my home back from foreclosure; I paid for my children to attend private school; I make almost 8x my minimum wage job; I got myself a good husband and I had an amazing church wedding in my parish. Last year I gave my daughter my old car, bought my son a car, bought my husband a F150 truck, then went and bought myself a mercury wagon. I went on vacation from the west coast to the east coast and numerous vacations since… Can you believe it? Hope you don't. The events are real but it wasn't me. It is He who is in me, because He is greater than he who is in the world!

1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

If I were to trust in “I” success would elude me. So it is in Him who I will trust. It is in Him that you and I can do all things!
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

If He is too busy to answer your prayer in the audible don’t loose hope He heard you and He is busy working on your prayer. He has a plan for you and for your future.
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

His plans may or may not be your plans but trust me He has got you covered. Where you are right now may just be for you to shine His light for someone else. Look around you and see who could use a smile and smile for them. Simple stuff but it annoys the enemy to see you sparkle your Father's light. :wink:

God bless you djdownunder and renew your hope. Amen
By pandaiii
only one way to procede.--------------FAST----------
incredible results one way or the other inregard to get a prayer answered.
It is an experience i can tell you about but you must do it yourself to live its power.
Get the book Freed and Healed through Fasting by Sister Emmanuel.
I think you can order it through the spiritdaily.com website.
It will be the best book you ever read.
By marysman
To help with your question about getting a j-o-b, maybe this will help.
I've been in your spot many times, and things have always worked out.
What I do is imagine myself with my hands outstretched like a cup, and ask Jesus to take my problem. I say I just can't handle it , so I'm giving it to Him. Then I try to forget about it while God works on the problem.

Last week, I had some serious financial problems, and decided to turn them over to God. As I was praying and holding my arms and hands extended, suddenly I heard a "swoosh" sound. As I hadn't even finished my prayers, I opened my spiritual eyes and the problem was gone from my hands, and the worry and fear in my head were also gone. Two days later my financial problems were gone, through none of my doing.

I hoped this helped,so have FAITH. I have to remember that I want things right now, but God has his own schedule.

God Bless